Something big is coming! (June 2021 app update)

There has been some mention of this new app version enabling local automations (ie no longer in beta). Anyone had any success with this?

Yes. many - It works if your devices meet the right conditions…

1 Like

Hmmm strange. I have some very basic automations that I would have thought would be local. Anyone know what conditions are required?

Post a screenshot of that basic automation

A simple virtual switch turns off after 20 mins of being on. This isn’t local?

1. your devive MUST NOT use a custom device handler.
  2. your device handler MUST be one of the Samsung provided defaults that is marked to load locally in the hub.
  3. That device handler must ACTUALLY be in the hub firmware - rare if 1 and 2 are true but it has happened)
  4. The item you’re trying to automate must be one of a certian set of actions, on-off, level, react to location mode / sunrise/sunset i can’t remember the exact list - but basically your automation can’t have custom actions, or triggering scenes, or any action that would REQUIRE cloud connectivity like sending a notification.

So exactly what are you attempting and with what device?

1 Like

not if that virtual switch is not running local - you can check the device in the IDE to see wher eit’s running and which DTH it uses.

Amazing thank you. Will have to have a check through these and see if I can make any adjustments

In the smartthings settings of the new app (2021) the setting “Activate wifi and bluetooth automatically” is shown as deactivated and it lets me activate it. I get a message "Not supported on this phone
You can activate wifi and bluetooth in the phone settings ".
I have checked the app’s permissions and by default it has access to WiFi and bluetooth control.
I have a Google pixel 2 and in the previous app I had it activated.
It says it is necessary to detect new devices.
Now I don’t have any wifi device to test.
Does anyone happen this too?

Had a check- using Samsungs own virtual switch dth, says it’s running local. A surprising number of my devices are listed as local so I’m surprised out of ~50 automations, none are local

If it is an existing automation that you had before the app update… try editing it and save. Or try deleting it and recreating a new one.

4 Likes

Also verify that the virtual switch device in the IDE is actually assigned to a valid hub. I just created a vswitch with the Samsung VSwitch DTH and it didnt run local until it had a valid hub in the Hub entry in the device details in the DTH. After you verify/make the change then edit your automation to save it again.

1 Like

Fantastic. I thought we were still waiting for a Hub firmware update before getting some local execution. Thanks for the question Oliver.

I just created my first simple local automation. Very fast.

It seems that the problem in showing the complete history of the last 7 days without having to change the filters has been solved. :+1:

What issue? I must have missed that

In the previous version, the history showed the last hours and then there was a period without showing.
Changing something in the filter already showed all the history.
It was not very important.

1 Like

Had no idea but glad it has been fixed

2 Likes
  1. “Remains/stays” functions don’t currently run local.
4 Likes

I cannot find the SmartApps menu in the new app. Has it been removed?

More importantly, I cannot add (include) new zwave devices with the new app.

When I try to include a new zwave device, select the location/hub, and click continue to start the process, it goes to a screen that says “Preparing device” and stays there. Previously, I believe the light on front of the ST hub would flash green when it was inclusion mode but it no longer does that… it stays solid green. I never get past the “preparing” screen and the device fails to connect.

@da_man Please make a different post about this.