Smoke Alarm or Loud Noise Sensor

Has anyone found a senor that I could link to ST that would monitor the house for a loud noise or alarm from a smoke detector. In a perfect world I would also be able to set up for braking glass.

What country are you in? The alarm patterns are different in different countries, so the acoustic device would be different.

If you are in the US, the Leeo works well for this. It can recognize three sound patterns: a US residential fire alarm, a US residential CO alarm, or a long continuous tone such as most leak alarms give off.

Its regular price is $49, but it is often on sale for $29. You plug it into the wall and it just listens for the sound pattern. When it detects a target pattern, it then can send a Wi-Fi notification, a push notification to your phone, and it also has its own IFTTT channel, which allows for integration with SmartThings.

https://www.amazon.com/Leeo-Smart-Remote-Monitor-Android/dp/B00XMX4GUC

There are even some community members who use the Leeo IFTTT channel to trigger a virtual smoke alarm and tie it into smart home monitor that way. :sunglasses:

So while itā€™s not a direct integration with SmartThings, I think the Leeo is the most practical option right now if you live in the US.

I am is the US. This looks like what I want but will I need to add some code to ST to make it work with my hub?
Thank you!

As far as breaking glass, there are a couple of acoustic glass break sensors that will work with SmartThings. The Leeo doesnā€™t do that.

GoControl has a one which should be widely available, but there are several brands.

https://www.zwaveproducts.com/shop/z-wave-security/z-wave-door-and-window-sensors/gb00z-2-gocontrol-smart-glass-break-detector

That said, all the brands seem to get low reviews, Iā€™m not sure why.

It just depends on how you want to use it. You donā€™t need to add any code to use it with the free IFTTT service so you could just have Leeo detecting a sound then activate any of your SmartThings-controlled Devices like a siren or a light. Thatā€™s pretty straightforward.

If you want to get fancy and have it treated like a smoke alarm and use it with the smart home monitor feature, then you would need to use one of the custom code options I linked to above.

If you havenā€™t used custom code before, itā€™s fairly straightforward. Basically you copy the code from the author and paste it into your own account. The following FAQ describes that basic process, but you need to read the exact instructions in the author thread for any code you were going to use because sometimes there are additional things you need to do to make it work.

Thank you for the explanation. I am new to this.I just want the device to notify me on the ST app when it detects a smoke alarm going off in the home. Not sure if I can add this as a device in the app or if I will need to add a handler to the hub.

The Leeo itself doesnā€™t show up as a device in the SmartThings app. On the other hand, it has its own app which will notify you on your phone, and thatā€™s all some people need.

Alternatively, you can create a ā€œvirtual switchā€ which doesnā€™t exist in real life, but which SmartThings will treat like a real switch once you have created it. That means it shows up on your list of things, you can toggle it on and off with the SmartThings mobile app, you can have smartThings routines turn it on and off, etc.

Then you would use the free IFTTT service to automatically turn on the virtual switch whenever the Leeo hears a target sound. That way you have something in your SmartThings account which goes on when Leeo hears something. :rotating_light:

IFTTT stands for ā€œIf This, than that.ā€ Itā€™s a free service that is used to create integration between different products/services that donā€™t normally talk to each other. In this case, you would use the Leeo as the ā€œifā€ and SmartThings as the ā€œthat.ā€ So you just set up a simple rule in IFTTT so that if the Leeo detects a particular sound, then smartthings turns on the virtual switch.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/211978466-IFTTT

2 Likes

Iā€™ve used both methods that JD describes to integrate Leeo with my ST setup. If you can follow instructions then you can probably do either one; thereā€™s no need to code anything yourself at any point.

But if you want a notification, and nothing else, is there a reason why you need to see it in the ST app?

The great thing about ST is that you can get not just a notification but also the ability to execute other actions (turn on lights, turn off HVAC fan, etc).

Are there other automations you want to trigger when your Leeo hears a smoke/CO detector going off?

1 Like

Yes, I am trying to get all of my life under one app and ST seems to cover the most devices. I have been buying smart home devices and almost have a page on my phone full of icons. My goal is to get down to one app that would give me an overview of my devices.

1 Like

That seems like a reasonable goal.

Just realize that because there is no direct integration between Leeo and ST, itā€™ll take a little work to set things up in such a way that you can see a device that looks like a smoke detector within ST. But with IFTTT and the universal device type handler described in the posts that JD linked to above, itā€™s definitely possible.

I think itā€™s also important to point out that the more cloud-based services you link together in order to receive an alert, the more potential points of failure you can run into. Youā€™d be relying first on your Leeo device to work correctly and send an alert to the Leeo server, which then has to communicate with IFTTTā€™s server, and then in turn with STā€™s server. For something as critical as a smoke or CO alarm, thatā€™s not something to take lightly.

I still have Leeo setup to alert me directly from their app if the sound of a smoke or CO alarm is detected, even though Iā€™ve also integrated it into smart home monitor. I even got a kidde remotelync too, which does basically the same thing as Leeo.

I have kids and pets at home, if a smoke or CO detector is really going off while Iā€™m not home, I want as many different alerts as possible with redundancies so a single service failure (hopefully) doesnā€™t screw up the whole thing.

1 Like