SmartTiles Dashboard v5.5: Added UK 🇬🇧, 5 × Dashboards, and more! Nov 6, 2015

In looking into this a little deeper, I compared the settings in the SmartTiles app for my configured dashboard to the settings in one of my rules which are able to control (open or close) my garage door. The rule which can control my door has implemented the “capability.garageDoorControl” which, it seems, the SmartTile app did not implement and therefor is not able to control my garage door. I guess I am out of luck at the moment.

Hmm. did you also check the regular Switches category under Lights?

Yes, I checked them all. My Garage Door Opener only shows up under the “Contact Sensors”.

Thanks for your help.

There are a lot of non-too-difficult workarounds. I haven’t checked if the Device Type Handler (and/or SmartApps) you are using has source code available; if so, a few lines can be added to add “door” or “switch” capability and have that call the available methods to open/close the door, etc

Similarly, you could add a Virtual Switch and it’s pretty easy to link it to the available open/close, etc., method of the real Device.

I will look into your suggestions.

Thanks very much!!

1 Like

@carlovn Try this modified device type that makes the garage door act like a switch.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, are there any special requirements for the android devices that run SmartThings & SmartTiles? I am an iphone user but would like to go with the multiple cheap android tablet solution and with Black Friday here would like to pick up multiple tablets. Obviously I want to ensure they will run everything without problem. Any advice would be great!

That’s the great thing about SmartTiles IMO, device independent. And works awesome, just setup a bunch of dashboards over the weekend myself.

Edit: I should have been explicit too, there are no special requirements. :smile:

1 Like

**SmartTiles **is heavily JavaScript dependant and probably runs faster on iOS than Android – not based on actual tests, but general JavaScript benchmarks. Still
 processing speed is not a big impact for this type of application.

Probably goes without saying that browsers which are not sufficiently HTML5 compliant (Internet Explorer? Windows Mobile?) have a chance of glitches.

V6 will probably be optimized for Chrome; though not at the expense of hurting other popular platforms. iOS Safari is obviously a critical browser for us to test on.

For what it’s worth, I’m running on a Blackberry Playbook and it’s perfectly usable - a little laggy sometimes but not really noticable.
Also, you get quite cheap docks for them too!

1 Like

I have been playing with SmartTiles since my last few posts when i was setting it up. It is so great. I love SmartTiles. It makes Smartthings so much more usable day to day. Echo and SmartTiles are must haves. Thanks to the devs for the great work.

2 Likes

Just wondering - Is there control for color on RGBW lights? I can see dimmers, but no color control?

1 Like

Not yet, and probably can’t be added until the **V6 ** overhaul version. Fitting multiple sliders is not practical, so some sort of pop-out may work best, and/or, eventually, perhaps, pre-sets or simple scene activation.

In the meantime, the best workarounds are to try to set Routines and/or Virtual Buttons tied to certain lighting presets and then add these to your Dashboard.

every time I see reference to V6
 I keep thinking that it really should be V8 :wink:

1 Like

Just started having the following issue with smart tiles.

{“error”:true,“type”:“java.lang.ClassCastException”,“message”:“An unexpected error occurred.”}

What’s a fix for the following problem? It’s been updated to the latest version.

Yup
 This is an annoying one but we don’t have it pinned to one specific cause or list of possibilities yet. It can be related to unusual tiles like Weather or unofficial Device Types?

If you know how to run Live Logging at http://graph.api.smartthings.com/logs (I think
 I’ll check path later) then you’ll get more details.

Chrome browser based debugging is the step after that.

Let’s take discussion to:

• Support@SmartTiles.com
    please.

Thanks!

Tried to send a email but I got a bounce back saying its invalid.

Sorry
 My fault, gave you wrong domain
 Doh!

• Support@SmartTiles.click

Resent the email to you.

Just a random one - but on the Video streams that I can have - Is there a way of getting the P/T/Z functions on them?