SmartThings Community

Smartthings wifi: 2nd generation (ET-WV525KWEGUS)

project_router
samsungwifi
(Jimmy) #21

You have to use the new app for setting up SmartThings WiFi. There is no migration tool.

2 Likes

The new app does migration or there is no migration and I’ll need to rediscover everything and retype all animations and routines and smart home monitor?

0 Likes

(Jimmy) #23

The later…

0 Likes

I wish there were a “print programming” button to print out what’s in the hub and cloud!!

0 Likes

(IG) #25

ok, I got the new wifi 3 - pack.
I did try to expand current Connect Home Pro- Impossible. Need to setup new wireless and smartthings wifi creates new HUB under same location. To move devices from Connect Home to new HUB - as we know Impossible.
I’ll think for coming day or two what is better for me: to connect second connect home pro (need extra coverage for Backyard) or to jump to new system and rebuild everything from scratch again.

1 Like

(Scott Chapman) #26

I think there will be significant advantage going to the new system. I would be considering it if they support wired backhaul (which they don’t) and if there was a migration option for the hub (which there also isn’t).

0 Likes

Gosh, even a “backup to cloud” followed by “create new from cloud”. Why is that difficult for Samsung to implement?

1 Like

(Scott Chapman) #28

I know! Right? That’s one of the benefits of being in the cloud; nothing really is on the hub…

0 Likes

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #29

Not nothing, unfortunately.

The encrypted keys / device ids are exchanged “in hardware” between joined Things and the Hubs. I don’t know the exact details (though I wish SmartThings or other ZigBee & Z-Wave experts would tell us); but this is for security reasons.

There is a Z-Wave method of migration to a secondary controller (etc.)… but I have not heard of the equivalent for ZigBee…

1 Like

(Scott Chapman) #30

I would be fine if all I lost were my zigbee devices (0)

1 Like

Even with NO migration app or tool, I would still need step-by-step instructions to implement SmartThings wi-fi mesh. Same if we sell this house, I would need step-by-step instructions to create the new owner’s SmartThings account and turn over the hub.

0 Likes

(Greg) #32

eh screw it. I just bought this.

I’m a ST v1 hub user and have been in the market for quite awhile for a mesh wifi system. (Plume was my top choice) This killed a lot of birds.

Will let you know how it goes.

3 Likes

(Levi) #33

So with the new Smarthings WiFi you cant use the current Samsung connect home as a satellite unit and the new WiFi box as the primary unit? I don’t have my Samsung Connect Home set up as the smartthings controller since I have the ADT panel but it would be nice to get the Plume functionality by just adding a single Smartthings WiFi as the primary WiFi hub.

0 Likes

(IG) #34

its incompatible… connect home can’t be extended by new wifi, so i’m thinking to add a new connect home pro for mesh with current one. i assume that new wifi can’t be extended with connect home either.

0 Likes

(Scott Chapman) #35

Yea it’s a totally different architecture.

1 Like

(Levi) #36

Thanks! I figured it was but wanted to check.

0 Likes

(James) #37

OMG, shoot me now. The thought of moving all my devices over to a new hub.

1 Like

(Scott Chapman) #38

I know! Right?

It’s a little weird because it blocks their existing customers from being able to buy new hardware!

2 Likes

(Wei Wu) #39

what is the hardware difference between the smartthings wifi and connect home in terms of the wifi part? I feel like maybe only the software are different. Samsung just want to sell its new product, so they don’t want to make it compatible with the previous generations.

0 Likes

(Scott Chapman) #40

Not sure what the diff is with the hardware. But the big improvement is the software; using Plume to manage the network. Similar to how the Google Wifi (which I am currently running) works.

1 Like