Smartthings wifi: 2nd generation (ET-WV525KWEGUS)

Just saw Sammy is taking a second crack at building a router with Smartthings built in.

Does anyone happen to know if the each mesh pod acts as a z-wave/zigbee router as well? Seems like that would be kinda useful!

The new version is based on plume, by the way.

They did eventually upgrade the first generation so that each pod would act as a zigbee and Z wave repeater, but I haven’t heard one way or another whether that will be true for the second generation. It’s obviously nice if it does. :sunglasses:

tagging @posborne

1 Like

Yea, so sammy support confirmed that. I think that is a really useful feature. Interested in how the new system compares to systems like Google Wifi

1 Like

How do the internals measure up?

Concerned that this is AC1300 only out of the gate?

Are those antennas the same as in the new hub, supporting the newest zwave/zigbee standards?

Tech specs on Smartthings Wifi for easy reference:

1 Like

Besides the AI in WiFi management, is there any other improvement over the Connect Home?

1 Like

3 mesh pods with Zwave+/zigbee repeater capabilities could be interesting.

Is this a 1 master hub + 2 slaves (repeaters) or the 3 pods are seen as 1 gateway (1/3 hub + 1/3 hub + 1/3 hub, with each local processing, ie distributed architecture?)

When will this be released in non-US markets (ie UK) ???

Would be even more useful if the zigbee and z-wave could be “extended” to reach remote locations…i.e. Not just a repeater but actually receive and broadcast through the network where range would not be a factor.

wondering if will be possible to connect new 3-pack to current connect home pro and have the plume and everything else working. don’t want to rebuild everything again to new hub.

1 Like

Interesting specs. I wonder if these are basically the Plume SuperPods (with some additional hardware).

Also, do all the satellites have RJ45 jacks for using wired back-haul?

I believe each one is identical as they are also selling them individually.

Apparently the satellites can’t use hardwired backhaul.

1 Like

Can’t be done - well, not “can’t”, but nobody has implemented routing ZigBee and/or Z-Wave over IP.

What does this mean exactly? What would the ethernet connections be used for on the satellites?

Just a matter of time and effort.

TL;DR - faster more reliable communications between nodes, and frees up radio waves.

2 Likes

Actually, both have been done, but not in ways that SmartThings has implemented. And to be fair, I don’t know any mass market controllers that have implemented Zwave over IP (Z/IP). But the specification does exist. But the concept is that you have a raspberry pi or a laptop running as a server in addition to the home automation hub, which is probably one reason why it hasn’t caught on. :wink:

http://zwavepublic.com/developer

I am trying to figure out exactly what they new WiFi Hub is. Right now I am in need of at least 2 hubs to cover my house, one for the house and one for the out building. From what I am told that can’t be done with the current Smart Things, having more then one hub on an account act as one Hub. Does this solve that? All three act as one hub allowing extended range for ZWave devices?

Also is the WiFi an actual access point for devices to hook up to and get to the internet or just for its own use to talk to each other? I have hard wire LAN at each point I want a hub, so I don’t want them wasting band with to talk to each other.

And last does this acts as the main router for the home? So your modem hook direct to it and no need for a separate router.

Unless I missed it, it’s not clear whether these have a dedicated WiFi band for backhaul, much less wired.

1 Like

Is there an easy way to migrate the content (SmartThings devices, automations, etc) from my current SmartThings hub to the mesh hub(s)?

More correctly, where are step by steps instructions located?

Would it be better to migrate to mesh before moving to the new app or after moving to the new app?