SmartThings Water Leak Sensors Keep Going Offline

Hi community,

I’m a long-term SmartThings user with multiple hubs in different locations. At one of my locations, I have two official SmartThings Water Leak sensors that keep dropping offline and don’t come back online until I remove the battery and put it back in. It’s strange that it happens to two sensors at the same time. I have other sensors, (such as motion sensors) that are further away from the hub, and these work fine.

Can anyone suggest anything I can try to get these working reliably? They seem to work for a few days, then just stop. (The batteries levels are good by the way.)

Thanks!

I have one that I had a problem with the same as you are experiencing. I moved it closer to the hub for about a week and found that it did not disconnect. Put it back and no problems since.

I do not have many zigbee devices, but I am guessing this strengthened the mesh for this device in some way.

1 Like

I have 19 of these plus many other battery powered sensors and haven’t had any issues but this said I have many mains powered Zigbee devices too. Sounds like a mesh issue, remember Zigbee is on same 2.4 as Wifi and other electronics. Do you have any Zigbee repeaters near these sensors dropping off? If not try put a smart plug near to see if things improve.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have some spare SmartThings mains adapters so will try and plug these in, in the same rooms as the water leak sensors when I’m back there next week and see if that improves things. Failing that, I’ll move them closer to the hub for a while and see if that keeps the connection. I guess that would at least confirm it’s a range/WiFi noise issue.

Any luck? I got the same issue. 5 sensors keep going offline. Max distance between hub is 7 meters. One in the same room. Very annoying.

Batteries show 100% however their production date is since 2017. Should i change them?

Nah, never solved it. I’ve put it down to just having some bad sensors. It’s actually only one Water Leak sensor in one location that drops out, so I’ve just stopped relying on it. I have about 4 of the same sensors in other locations (different hubs) and they never drop out. Are your problematic ones all water sensors?

Yes all of them. I don’t think my luck is so bad and all are faulty :slight_smile: there must be another issue. I will try changing the battery of one sensor and see how it goes. Any other suggestion?