Smartthings Shield - General reference and specific question about sending strings

Does anyone know where a comprehensive reference guide is for the Shield? I’m just simply trying to send strings to the clould through the shield without using the Arduino library. To be clear, I have serial communication working great both ways, so I’m doing ok. But when I look at the Arduino library, it seems like it’s sending strings by converting them to hex and sending the following line:

raw 0x0 {00 00 0A 0A 62 75 74 74 6f 6e 20 64 6f 77 6e }\nsend 0x0 1 1\n

When I do this I see this in my developer console log…

dd6dfb38-7b99-4274-8aa9-7366c21b787e ‎8‎:‎47‎:‎19‎ ‎PM: debug Parsing ‘catchall: 0104 0000 01 01 0140 00 B69F 00 00 0000 0A 00 0A627574746F6E20646F776E’

So the information is being sent, but obviously this isn’t very usable to me (yes, I could parse the hex at the end, but that’d be a nightmare). There has to be some better way to simply send a string from my device to the shield/cloud, but I can’t find reference material on the commands the shield accepts, and therefore I can’t figure out a simpler syntax for sending the strings.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

As an fyi, here’s the code that’s showing the description in the log, just for additional reference. Maybe there’s something in the smartapp language that will convert the raw information to a string?

def parse(String description) {
	log.debug "Parsing $description"

def result = createEvent(name: 'switch', value: 'on')
    log.debug "Parse returned ${result?.descriptionText}"
    return result
}

And… just like that, I found the solution! For anyone else who cares, this is how you get the string…

def value = zigbee.parse(description)?.text

Thank you for posting your answer. It will help the next person.