SmartThings Seems Much Improved

I agree things have been better for a week or so, and I like the iOS widgets!

I also found out that some of my “fail to fire” problems were due to an undocumented restriction on Hello Home Actions and modes. I modified some of my protocols so I’m less likely to run into that.

All of that said, I would have to respectfully disagree that all competitor companies are having the same kinds of issues. Just as different people have different priorities, different companies have different priorities. Some have made reliability Their top priority. Others have made their top priority openness and innovation. So different companies have different issues, even very early in their development cycle.

It’s clear that smartthings pushes features to market which have not been fully tested. (See the most recent releases of both the android and iOS mobile apps.) Then they fix it, often very quickly. “Move fast and break things.”

It’s not an uncommon design philosophy these days, but it’s not the only one, either.

WHEN SHOULD A HOME AUTOMATION COMPANY DISCUSS INTENDED FEATURES?

The question is, moving forward, what’s the most appropriate design philosophy for an appliance company, or a utility company. (Home automation is a bit of both.)

If smartthings wants to move beyond the hobbyist/do it yourselfer/1st adopter/technogeek market (And that’s one with all those combined skills and attitudes, not four separate groups), then I think it does need to consider adopting A more rigorous testing protocol and the release of fewer but more robust features in each cycle.

Because the competition is coming. When Amazon’s echo was first released, the company said nothing about voice control of home automation. They let analysts assume it might happen eventually, but they made no promises. Not even “we’re thinking about it.”

And now with today’s release, they have what is reportedly very smooth voice control of Phillips Hues, including natural language, and the ability to set dim levels.

Leaps and bounds past anybody else’s option that I’m aware of, with no early teasers at all. Just an available product that works.

Consumer complaints are largely that the waiting list to get one is too long, and that the number of features is too limited. (For example, right now it works with Philips brand only, it doesn’t seem to be working with GE link even if they’re connected to a Philips bridge.)

Different set of priorities, different type of consumer satisfaction. But it’s a choice available to any company. Even technology pioneers.:blush:

4 Likes