SmartThings Is Over Party

Super flawed business model. Is that my fault also?

Tech years are usually faster than regular years. All it takes from their end is the will to be better and money. Are they missing one or the other? Maybe both.

No its not but what I am saying know these things before investing into a product… Which is why I say if you are unhappy go to say like Iris that charges you 9.99 a month just to have “advance features” (that we get that and more for free) like your lights come on at a certain time. And only when the tech is being widely deployed. DYI home automation and security are new and baby in tech world. Or we all keep complaining and samsung decides to fold ST because its not worth it to you then you have a paperweight. We are not talking about a small company. I kind of wish they did stay their own because the people have more power then with a company as big as samsung. They make everything and if they feel they are failing here they are known like google is to just stop. Also samsung is know in the appliance industry for outstanding products. But horrible customer service and service if something does go wrong. I knew that going into my purchase of another samsung washer and dyrer. If I have a problem and call and get the horrible customer service I was told they have that is on me I knew it going into the purchase.

Awesome! You got it working just the way you like. Glad there was an option that worked for “you”.

My sister’s cousin twice removed is overweight and IMHO quite on the “ugly” side. However, she is happily married and her husband loves her every existence.

There’s someone or something out there for everyone.

Good Luck.

You know, there are ways to express your opinions to other people who may
or may not have opposing viewpoints without coming off as a condescending
asshole. We’re all a part of this community. Some of us have things
working, some of us don’t, some of us care, some of us don’t. If you
disagree with someone else’s take on something, cool, make your thoughts
known, but try to be respectful when you do it, please. There’s absolutely
no reason for anyone to be disrespectful in this forum. This is a
discussion, and as adults, shouldn’t we have these discussions without
namecalling and sarcastic rude jokes? There’s a legitimate reason for
customers to be unhappy, and who’s to say we shouldn’t actually express how
unhappy we are? At the same time that we should listen to other people’s
opinions and take them into consideration, so should others take our
opinions into consideration. I’m just saying. My email has been going nuts
for the past three days with this back and forth and some of these comments
are outright disrespectful, rude, mean, and completely uncalled for, and
for what? Because someone doesn’t agree with someone else? Grow up, put
your big boy pants on, and be the adult we all know you are.

5 Likes

Not really understanding why you’re quoting a /24 subnet being an issue. Surely if you want to you can change the number of bits in your subnet mask or indeed use different subnets if you require more addresses?

1 Like

Unfortunately, consumers accept a product that requires re-booting. Or pulling a battery from a sensor. This is wrong. Re-read what @JDRoberts has to go through to pull a battery…

My own case is two hubs in two widely separated geographic locations. I’m in our winter home now & several days ago a switch got dropped at the other location. No way in hell I can cycle power on that switch from here – and its job is security lighting. So far, I’m still able to monitor temperature on three sensors and the remaining two security lights are still working…

I have an OnHub not staying he does and you can’t change anythinb on Google WiFi at the moment. Nor can you use your own router. I hope they change it. it also uses a weird interanal IP set. Not the normal ones.

I agree.

If one has an issue or issues then they should have the right and/or ability to express that, in whatever format they choose, listen to suggestions on how to overcome the issue and move on to the solution.

If the solution is moving on is to another platform, then what’s the point of continuing the conversation about how disappointed they are? It gets old real quick and therefore one might go from being open minded, offering advice and showing empathy to some of the “rude” comments that might have been said.

Sometimes, one might just need to accept that everyone does not share their same sentiment and they might be the minority. Doesn’t make them wrong, just makes for tense conversation.

We buy computers that need rebooting, modems phones I could go on and on. Anything computer like needs a reboot from time to time. Why it’s first on most tech lists.

If all of the SmartThings glitches could be solved by a reboot, I would agree with you. Unfortunately, most of them cannot. It’s really not a comparable situation.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Bug:_First_Reports

If your system is working great, I’m happy for you, and I hope the same becomes true for everyone else. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have not rebooted my Mac or iPhone in over a year except for when there was an OS update.

I did not say all could be. I said before when mine becomes slow to respond a reboot fixes that. I gave my opinion on my take on this. Some can disagree and that is fine. I am giving a different opinion that is all. And I don’t think I have been rude unless disagreeing is rude.

I will say on my way home I got a leak detection. It was correct and shut the main water valve off as it’s supposed to. Saved me allot of money!!

4 Likes

For the 0.17.x release series, we do have a modest change to increase the number of LAN handle entries to avoid potential exhaustion as it sounds like you may have encountered. If your hub is in fact rebooting as a result of some set of actions, do contact support as this typically indicates that something beyond LAN handle exhaustion might be occurring.

On a related note, there was a fix for a LAN issue that resulted in a reboot that shipped with the most recent 16.x hotfix release. Was the issue you observed with this firmware or a previous version?

2 Likes

Joe, I was going to ignore any further posts you make on this thread, however I do believe you are being sincere in not understanding how your words have been interpreted by many on this thread. Here’s how I view your position:

“My system works great, I don’t know why yours doesn’t. It must be your fault; you should have done your homework before buying. If you are not happy with your system not working, vote with your wallet and go somewhere else because I don’t want to hear you complain.”

It is more than just just an opinion you are expressing. If that were it, I doubt anyone would take issue with what you are writing. Even if you do not intend to come across this way, you are. Perception is reality to those who perceive it. Now that the potential miscommunication has been stated, this is a good opportunity for you to clear the air.

1 Like

Glad you did respond as that is NOT my intention nor meaning at all! As I did state there are definitely some experiencing issues and in another thread I asked I wonder why its hitting some and not others and why its so hard to figure that out. Like updates wiping everything from someones hub. I also admitted in other posts and I think this one promises have been broken but we don’t know the reason. We are not there. We do not know the dynamics of the relationship of ST and Samsung. As it was pointed out elsewhere the two CEO’s were saying all this coming out and it didn’t and now ST didn’t get much at this years show. I was just trying I guess unsuccessfully to point out they all have issues, pros and cons and they buyer has to figure out whats best for them. I also am in no way making problems others are having small or saying they are not valid. All reviews state HA is relativity new and all have its issues. But then some could take that as all will have the issues not randomly. So you would think they could figure out why one is having issues and others are not. Reviews on amazon has made my decisions 99% of the time. And this product it has a 4 star rating with over 1300 reviewers. 47% 5 star, 16% 4 star, 8% 3 star, 9% 2 star and 20% 1 star. And most the 3 and 4 state in one way or another you must be willing to tinker so to say. In closing I think there are ways to say things without making a company that is pretty active on the forum to not want to be so active or samsung making them stick to the scripted messages like in some other forums I been apart of mostly simplisafe. They promised camereas since 2012 and just released one last few months. When people asked they gave the same canned answer. Verizon deleltes messages bashing them on theirs. So I guess I am saying yes people have problems and yes you should relay them. And I guess the you get what you pay for is something I live by. I buy a 29.99 iris motion sensor I don’t expect what I do from a 60 one. I went with a 70 dollar valve shut off and it works but I am scared that I didn’t go with the more expensive ones. But its saved me twice. I think I need to start replacing things like washer connectors and sink connectors more as that is what has failed twice on me. And both times ST detected and shut off water to the house saving me a flood.

2 Likes

Thanks for your explanation. My ticket is current and post the lastest firmware update, however, apart from telling me I’m displaying typical behaviour and telling me to delete devices I’ve not had anything else. I also reported still seeing issues this morning too but yet to have any response. In fact now that you mention I was not seeing any of this before the last firmware update.

1 Like

Weird, the Iris motion sensors are considered the best motion sensor out there for ST by most (admittedly said without a poll)…

1 Like

Yes your right I don’t deny that and was very pleased with them I have more of them then any other. But I didn’t expect it. It’s a nice surprise and saved me some money.

Especially when I got them for something like $10-$12 a piece (on sale).

1 Like