Frankly, I have about had it

Had this thing for a couple months now, and am just about tp throw it all away. 1 sensor became unavailable right away, putting a new battery in it worked for a couple of days and then it did it again. Replaced it with a new one and it did the same thing after a week. Moving the hub closer has not helped and frankly, there are two other sensors farther away from the hub that work fine. Tried to use a Zooz motion sensor but it would never connect, even after putting a device handler for it in. To the point that I don’t even want to look at the app for fear what next sensor is going to say unavailable. I am frustrated with it all…

1 Like

Normally I try to cur ST some slack but now, I don’t blame you a bit. The whole system is a mess and now they are introducing new hubs and systems. That’ fine and I guess in the big picture, ST doesn’t owe us any more than they are giving us. I hope someone with some large system network experience gets into the business (Amazon?) and stops trying to justify this nonsensical willy-nilly hapless code juglling the current team is doing. Is ST a bunch of guys with bachelors in IT? I don’t know what they’re doing…but I’m not sure they know either. No kudos for effort anymore. Get the system stable…and stop messing with it!!!

3 Likes

Hey, this tinkering is not for everyone. I do understand the frustration. Some sensors work better than others. I used the Ecolink Motion Sensors and they have given me little trouble since install. 8 of them. I also have 4 motions that I tapped into with my DSC Alarm Panel and 8 more Ecobee Motions that only update every 30 minutes. The Ecobee sometimes disconnect.

I have a Zooz powerstrip and it gave me the blues. Short range. Actually had to move my hub into my study for it to work properly. I can say though, throughout all the headaches, my Home Automation, is WAY better than I ever thought possible for my budget.

ST has been having issues lately. Seems to get better after a while then something goes wrong. Just have to wait it out. Their team is active on these forums and they seem like they try to address issues as they arise.

Good Luck.

1 Like

I like bleeding edge as much as anyone. I like to be an early adopter in general. ST is not marketed as “tinkering.” It’s sold as a useful,product so some people aren’t up for learning to code to have their lights turn on and off or open a garage door. As far as the team, I’m sure they mean well, but concern is no substitue for competence.

4 Likes

I agree with that sentiment, unfortunately. Although Samsung has been marketing ST as a consumer device for mass-market consumption for a while now, it’s still really a hobbyist’s tool.

What’s the sensor you’ve been having trouble with? Not that this will solve all your troubles by any means, but if you stick with the devices that are on the “works with ST” list you can at least get help from support to try to troubleshoot. For devices like your zooz motion sensor, they’ll just tell you they can’t help because it’s not on the approved list of devices.

2 Likes

It’s sold as a useful product which it is for most. If you are on this forum, then 9 times out of 10, you are doing some form of tinkering.

However, some devices work better than others.

1 Like

They list this forum as part of their “support” under the Help section of the website. When it fails to perform basic out of the box automations, I’d say the OP has a legitimate complaint. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this isn’t a development product or hobby board. This is sold and marketed as a consumer ready device. All of the IOT companies are going to need to have reliability at the top of their priority list if they want to move beyond a small segment of DIY tinkerers.

6 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I said that I understood the OP’s frustration. I truly do. However, as the tech gets better, the product will get better.

Out of the box, ST kinda sux. It’s really a sub par device compared to some of the more expensive, more reliable solutions. However, if you are willing to tinker, then it becomes a very powerful little $100 box.

Saying all that, “We”, the people of SmartThings Community Forum, represent a very small percentage of people who actually use the product. For the most part, it pretty much works as good or better than Iris, Wink or Apples offerings. They all have their limitations.

Not sticking up for ST but come on, for a $100 device that you can connect 1000+ things to, are we “really” that fed up? If so then, I stand by my original statement, “Hey, this tinkering is not for everyone.”

3 Likes

When I tinker with something (I’m the kind of guy with oscilloscopes, power supplies, and solder spools) the end result works when I’m done. If it doesn’t work, I fix my mistake or build a different solution after identifying my failing. ST’s failure for me was not something I could overcome by tinkering on my end.

For the same price, I’m “tinkering” with a competitor product that is satisfying my needs. This forum is literally littered with recurring instances of instability and unreliability. The same cloud issues and firmware bungles have been occurring over and over and over again. The occasional bug or screw up happens. Having years of the same exact problems creeping up habitually is a sign of something far more serious than an occasional “oops.”

4 Likes

Wait a minute! Wait one darn minute! Are you saying you are no longer using SmartThings? And you have found a solution that is satisfying your needs? If so, I am confused…

1 Like

I moved to a different platform a couple months ago.

What has support said? Have you checked to see if your wifi and zigbee radios are using conflicting channels?

I’m curious, what platform did you move to @Shife ?

1 Like

@laura What kind of sensor are you having issues with? I haven’t used the Zooz motion sensor, but i’ve used the STv1, STv2, Monoprice, and Ecolink.

I have a very stable Zwave and Zigbee network.

So i’m curious what sensors you are having issues with ?

I moved to Wink.

Before we go through all the “Wink is terrible” and “Teh Winkening” and “Muh Relays”… I am in no way saying anyone should move to Wink. Experiences with these systems is all over the map and very subjective depending on usage. My system is mostly switches, dimmers, and motion/door sensors. It is all Leviton, Lutron, Lightify, or GoControl (all supported equipment.) I don’t have any oddball stuff (I do have one Enerwave outlet) or a zillion zigbee lights. The local control of Wink has worked flawlessly for me. That is where ST failed in my case. The app is just as buggy and crappy as ST’s, so if you control your devices from your phone, you’re likely to be just as frustrated as with ST. My priority is that certain events occur reliably and I now have faith in my system. It does what I tell it to do when I tell it to occur, every time.

I’ll be setting up a new system for my parents home, and I was really hoping the new ST router coming to market would be all local control, even though I don’t want a combined router/hub. Since it looks like that new product is simply a V2 hub combined with a router, I’ll be shopping Zapato, Wink, and Vera unless ST has another product release on the horizon that addresses the issues I had with my V2 hub.

3 Likes

No, I understand. I have Wink and ST, I do not have Wink v2, do you move to Wink v2, or are you using the Wink v1 hub is what i’m curious about.

I have no real issues w/ ST, I’m still using my V1 hub, and didn’t move to V2 because of the lack of migration tools and I have well about 150 devices. I used both Wink and ST, and I think they both can be reliable and work well. The apps both are bad, but I don’t really have issue w/ certain events occuring reliably.

I’m curious what type of events were failing for you, maybe I’m not doing those type of events.

1 Like

All systems have pros and cons, but I would have to respectfully disagree that SmartThings provides the same mass market “set and forget” customer experience as apple’s HomeKit or even wink.

We have all three of these systems in our home. We started with SmartThings and added the other two when it became clear that SmartThings just was not meeting the reliability target we required. I know that the company is committed to doing better in that regard, but they just aren’t there yet.

SmartThings is by far the most powerful and flexible of the three, and there are many things we can do with it that we can’t do with the other two. But it’s also much higher maintenance, even if you’re just trying to run lights on a schedule and don’t require custom code. For a year and a half now, I have yet to go 10 days without having to do some kind of fiddly maintenance on SmartThings. (something I’m very aware of because I’m physically not able to do that maintenance and have to get someone else involved.)

That just hasn’t been true with any of our other home automation systems, including Phillips Hue, Echo, Harmony, HomeKit, Lutron, and, yes, even Wink. Wink is the second worst, but even that will usually get a 90 day MFOP (maintenance free operating period). The others all go six months or more.

When SmartThings is operating as intended, it is absolutely my favorite home automation system, so I truly hope they get the reliability issues fixed. I’m hoping that the new Samsung connect system might help with that, and I will definitely give that one a try if reports of its reliability are better and it has the features that I need.

But for right now, for someone who just needs some sensors and some lights and a smart lock and fan control, and who already has iOS devices, HomeKit will be much more reliable. As long as The person doesn’t need stacked conditionals or other complex logic.

If the person uses android devices, The selection is more complicated, but still you can stitch something together with a six-month MFOP if that’s more important than the kind of flexibility that smartthings offers.

Different things work for different people, and again, every system has pros and cons, but “set and forget” is not an area where SmartThings currently matches the standard of the competition. But again, the company is very aware of that and they are working on improvements. That doesn’t mean anyone who is unhappy now need to wait and keep a system that isn’t working for them, they can move on to something else and come back when the reliability improves. They might want to limit their investment in any other system since so much is changing so quickly.

But I think we should be realistic about what the pros and cons are for different systems. That’s the best way we can all help each other. :sunglasses:

Submitted with respect.

9 Likes

I needed a zwave outlet to turn on at a 3am during the week. Most days it failed to turn on. Often I was unable to control it at all with the app and the routine wouldn’t run, but I could command Alexa to control it through the ST hub. Support was unable to resolve the issue and I gave up on it, as it was very important to me that this scheduled event run. I tried the SmartLighting app as well as CoRE and had the same experience with both. The same outlet is working great on my current system. Zero failures to date.

I have no experience with the original Wink hub. I went from ST V2 to Wink 2.

Thanks, I was curious.

Everyone reacts differently, and if you decide to toss it that’s fine by me. But rational analysis might lead you down a different path than emotional reactivity.

Item one: if a sensor is not working but two others are fine, then is the problem that the whole system sucks? Is that a rational conclusion?

Item two: these are incredibly inexpensive systems for what they give you. The thing you pay is not $40 per month in monitoring fees and $400 per consulting call; you pay in what’s often called “sweat equity”.

Best of luck to you.