SmartThings Hub Version 2.0

I gonna get V2, but I will wait until the migration tool is live. v1 is fine for now.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have 120 devices now. So I am looking at north of a whole weekend to migrate I think. Yikes.

Also existing v1 customers get a special offer. Check your email.

2 Likes

Thanks Ben. I was just about to ask that as a clarifying question. I do have a few other questions though:

Perhaps this has been addressed elsewhere, but can ST provide a little more context around V1 to V2 migration?

• Is there a time table for a V1 to V2 device migration tool?
  • If I decide to forge ahead without the migration tool, is it correct to assume that all HelloHome actions, SmartApps, and unofficial apps will have to be manually reconstructed?
1 Like

Ack! V1 user here, impatiently hitting refresh on my email hoping for a special delivery so I can get to my pre-ordering :worried:

Just saw @April’s post here. I think that answers my question about migrating without a tool.

@Ben
It would be great if there were details regarding the benefits of the V2 hub over the V1 hub. I had to search other threads to find this info.

Anyone else notice that version 2.0 is called “Samsung SmartThings Hub” whereas the v1 is called “SmartThings Hub”? Subtle difference in the title, don’t order the wrong one (that is, if your forget to look at the picture). :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Ben Hi my name is Dawn and I’m a smartthingsaholic. I promised myself that I would wait and not order V2 until there was an easy way to go from V1 to V2. That invitation wasn’t in my inbox more than 20 minutes before I started wipping out the credit card. Yes I’m addicted and yes I pre-ordered. I’ll be looking at you for support when I go to transfer my house full of things over to V2 :wink:

2 Likes

Refresh mail, refresh mail…

3 Likes

Just pre-ordered through the shop, its the only store that wasn’t charging me tax.
I am happy to see the price stayed at $99, it was mentioned earlier that it would be around the same but that could mean higher. Kudos for keeping it the same…
Now the fun begins, I need to decide how I will build my system.

Haha did the samething figured I’d hold off but they had my card on file already and it was just to easy to order. Plus free sensors!!

2 Likes

Hi Andy - no timetable for a migration tool. And yes you are correct. The special offer for existing customers is meant to acknowledge the pain this represents, but for many it will not go nearly far enough :confused:

3 Likes

LOL, same. Just saw the email.

I’ve torn down my setup and reinstalled so many times between moving and testing that I have a lot of sympathy. But what’s that they say about building a home? It isn’t until the 3rd one that you get it right? Maybe it is the same with building out your smart home?

4 Likes

Astute. This is going t be consistent with the branding of hardware devices going forward. The platform and the mobile app will not include the parental modifier :smiley:

1 Like

I received the invite and preordered the hub kit. I do have a couple of questions though from Smarthings support. Do we know if the v2 hub supports home kit? I assume this needs an Apple authentication chip and has to be approved like the insteon hub and other devices. I am also curious if there are any near term plans to integrate with Amazon Echo. Also, do we have any indication as to which cameras work with the streaming and the hub? I recently installed 5 Netgear Arlo cameras in my house and I know that Netgear hasn’t even taken a position on IFTTT yet but is there a plan to integrate with Arlo? There is a lot shaking out this year with Siri/Homekit products as well as devices like the Echo and I want to make sure it’s worth it for me to invest in the v2.0 hub.

Thanks!

The spirit of what we’ve been stating for months is still true. Might be 1 other nice feature too

2 Likes

v1 owner, just preordered v2. Thanks for the extras. Can’t wait to see what the new hub has in store.

1 Like

I also have 4 Arlo cameras and would like to install more but have hesitated until I found out if the v2 would support. Home kit would be cool, but could seriously use more specific controls over my cameras since the birds out side like to set off the motion sensors on them.

1 Like