SmartThings Hub V2 now available for pre-order

Good to hear…thanks Ben and April!

Exact same deal here. Got wife to approve, now sold out. Will wait until it ships then, see if it is worth it.

Sold out for me too. Not a very slick marketing campaign . Congrats to the new users - I’m going to be walking away.

Good grief, calm down, put the toys back in the pram.

Not three posts up from yours April has said they are working on this for you and you may even do even better out of this than before.

8 Likes

Good news April! I await my second chance and being “special” :slight_smile: Maybe tie the next pre-order to the hub database and verify that the order really is from an existing user.

1 Like

I also did not make the cut with the flood of orders from the web. Hope Ben and April make this right for loyal Smart Thing users. Love Smart Thing Hub V1 and was looking forward to getting V2. Will wait and see.

1 Like

I almost wonder if someone (or multiple someones) didn’t decided the deal was so good that they could get it, split it up and sell it on eBay for a profit. Sell the Hub for $75 (plus shipping) still undercuts the base price from SmartThings. Then sell each of the sensors for $25 a piece… that’s a decent price and makes $25 for each bundle you could sell in pieces.

Yah… we’ll see a few of these type of resales. But, frankly, with eBay + PayPal transaction fees, it’s not a great arbitrage play.

Whilst Hub v2 may be able to increase polling frequency for LAN / WiFi connected devices, I suspect it is very unlikely to change for Zwave and Zigbee devices.

The Zwave and Zigbee networks and devices are not designed for high frequency polling. They are low bandwidth and high(er) latency networks designed to operate with (very) low power requirements. "Very, very frequent polling of devices" is anathema to these goals; doing so would not only have potentially adverse impacts on the network, it would also shorten the battery life of the polled devices.

4 Likes

It would be nice to be able to set polling frequency so that device that are hard wired would be polled regularly.

I’m running the pollster app right now, but trying to be kind with it and not have it run continuously so as not to bog down ST servers. Plus it crashes semi-regularly. Hopefully it’ll run more with stability if running locally.

1 Like

That’s great I will be looking for the email. Already have approval so it should be a quick purchase.

1 Like

Local or not, zigbee and zwave are still mesh topologies. They do not guarantee serial processing. Sleepy devices still sleep even if you try to poll them.

The end result of “very, very frequent polling” on a mesh network is crippling the mesh, greatly degrading the quality of service. Some messages will be lost, some will arrive out of sequence. You will flip a switch and the light will not turn on.

If you have a use case which requires constant monitoring, don’t use a zwave device or A zigbee device in a mesh network. This has nothing to do with cloud versus local: it has to do with mesh topologies. Instead, if you need very frequent polling, use Wi-Fi or hardwired devices. That’s the only thing that will give you the result you want.

When I worked professionally as a network engineer, our rule of thumb was that polling should be no more than 5% of network traffic. Otherwise, as polling increased, you got less information and the information that you got was less valuable, because of other messages being bumped or lost altogether. This isn’t a smartthings issue, it’s just how mesh works.

If you read the manufacturer manuals for most zwave devices, you will see an included warning that the device is not intended to be used with medical equipment. That’s because of the intrinsic conflict between mesh and constant status monitoring.

Apple believes that today’s consumers will not accept the trade-offs that mesh requires in order to keep the network cheap in terms of individual device cost and energy draw. So they are planning an infrastructure based on point-to-point and star networks. No mesh. It means an individual sensor will cost $125 instead of 30 or 40, and it means the energy draw will be higher. But you will have near constant status monitoring.

It’s a choice everyone has to make for themselves in terms of what’s important to them.

This is great news. I was quite disappointed this morning when I went to get the bundle and it was sold out already. Thanks!

1 Like

Okay, so maybe ‘very, very frequent polling’ wasn’t the best choice of words here… relative to what I’m getting right now… which at times seems like zero polling, I’m hoping to see more regular, reliable polling. Once a minute-ish or perhaps less.

So yeah, very very frequent… when compared to like… ya know… geologic time sales. :smile:

2 Likes

My personal hope is that having some of the processing local with V2 will mean we’ll be able to do a whole lot less polling because we’ll have greater reliability and quicker response time overall. That would make my day! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Agreed for the most part, however, I do have a somewhat specialized situation… I have a couple of Z-wave remotes (Not the AEON button motes) for my kids to control the devices in their bedrooms. These communicate directly to the z-wave devices… NOT through SmartThings. So when a device is turned on via these remotes, SmartThings isn’t updated.

I have have these devices on timers to that my kids don’t leave their ceiling fans or radios or accent lights on and forget about them. They are set to turn off x-number of minutes after being turned on. But if they are turned on via the remote and ST doesn’t poll the device, it doesn’t know that the device is now on.

1 Like

yeah, we definitely need more handheld remote choices. Some day!

2 Likes

Sold out for me as well. I used my work email, but haven’t got anything, unless our corporate junked it before it even got to my spam folder. :frowning:

1 Like

me too. a question to consider is how are they going to execute the local processing. Reading between the lines I am hearing a lot of chatter, local caching of events during no internet, true local processing (all the time for local devices), limited local processing, etc. these are all buzz words. Until we get more detail from the team or use it ourselves- we won’t know the pro and cons of how they will execute their concept.

Yeah same boat, emailed @April this morning cause I did not receive the original email, got her to send one out, and by the time I was able to pull the trigger, it was gone. I’m not really chiming in to complain about the item being sold out, (I’m glad the popularity is through the roof, more on this in a sec), I’m chiming in to say please don’t forget me on the second round of emails. Not sure what happened but please don’t forget me.

As for the popularity comment, I’m an avid reader of the forums. I don’t comment much cause there’s a lot of super intelligent folks on here that know way more than me, so I just sit back a try to soak it all in. The thing is that as I scour the Smartthings forums, I read stuff from a lot of unhappy folks. I’m not sure how many folks there are but that’s neither here nor there. My point is, ever since I got into Smartthings, I’ve been hooked. And while there have been several glitches (I myself had to replace my v1 hub) it’s been pretty stable for me (45+ switches & bulbs, Fortezz alarm, 3 deadbolts, several apps, etc.). Hopefully with the influx of new folks=$$$ the platform will only get better. For what it’s worth, just my 2 cents.

2 Likes