SmartThings Community

SmartThings Current State is Stalled?

I dont know how sonos integration matters to anyone honestly. how about a media center controller, now THAT would be useful. integrate xbmc or something that everyone could benefit from. It seems everything ST has added is only to market to a few people and for something you have to purchase. it seems they don’t care about what you currently own and are trying to manage with ST.

1 Like

Sonos and Hue are among the most successful “smart” things out there! They are major buzz words in this industry, which is why SmartThings includes them in all their marketing (even though their integration sits unfinished and incomplete).

3 Likes

I completely agree…and I don’t even have either of them. However, I do use ObyThing code to make my Airplay speakers work like integrated Sonos. I think a reason why these two are very successful and important is that they are VERY easy for someone to deploy (no wiring needed) and are very consumer-ish…meaning mainstream. Lots of people I know are getting both of them, so it is a great entry point for ST.

And no, it is not all about dogs barking (that’s just fun). But, audible warnings when there is water detected or a door is open in the middle of the night, “mood lighting” part modes for people that entertain a lot (like us), etc…those all help make a house a home and make you feel like the house is working with you.

4 Likes

Not to mention all the stuff like “new cameras” that were supposed to be in the timeline for end of year… I guess it’s our fault for not asking which year? :smile:

Seriously though, I see a lot of potential on the platform, but there are some serious flaws still, not the list of which is incomplete or non-existent support for some things other than community solutions. And even then, you look at the website and even the community forums and start saying to yourself “what else can I do with the platform?” and very few NEW ideas actually pop out.

1 Like

…and on the flip side…I’ve owned Sonos kit for more than five years (and use the integration with SmartThings) but I don’t use XBMC…so who on Earth would want XBMC integration?

Hehe - and I use AirSonos to make my Sonos players work with Airplay.

You have to love the connected nature of today’s products and the ability this gives us to extend and personalise them :smile:

1 Like

Thru my shabby app:

Sonos notifies me when my front door, porch door, basement door or garage door is open, when modes change, unwarranted motion (if ever), if ever (hope not) there is fire or CO, plays my fav. music, if humidity or temp. Is low or high, drives my missus crazy, entertains the neighborhood kids, was a hit on Halloween and in fact the most used product in my house even though I just have 3 play 1’s and a boost. And of course it barks too… I don’t rely on the notify me with Sonos apps but my own app. It’s shabby but it works. I cannot rule out its usefulness as an average user (but for the price). :slight_smile: if I was as good and tech savvy as others in this community, I could have done much more.

Correction: next to my hues…

Also, now that I have the boost and the 1’s away from routers and hubs, it does not kill my wifi.

sorry didn’t mean to derail the thread about things i find useless when important things like application management and initial design put me off and haven’t been fixed after this thing has been on the market for years.

I cannot use this device to sell anyone on how great it is. I can make a dog bark or play a sound when a door opens. I cannot manage any existing wifi devices I own, or any DLNA server, or even present a page of buttons to turn on/off items without configuring and then going into “things”.

I want to install a smartapp, but I can’t even update it without going to github, downloading new code, copy pasting, and then going into the android application to add it to my “app’s”.

THOSE are the reasons this device will fail with the mainstream user. You can make a dog bark or play a sound when your door opens, great. That is about all that this device offers out of the box. And that is really sad, because the hardware and software can actually manage almost anything in our lives right now.

1 Like

Honestly when I bought this device, I was in the impression that it can launch satellites, stop global warming, end all wars, bring peace to this world… For heavens sake! We are equally passionate and vocal, love, hate… But even knowing that my Philips hue and other apps can turn on my lights, Sonos app can work my players, ADT can watch on the security aspect, my garage door has its own stock app, my real dog can bark and bite, I still did get into the ST thing. Right? Who has not sold us a product that they have not overstated? How else will a company sell their product? I do agree things have been slow lately on every aspect but we still do believe. Pretty much anything can be done that ST does or doesn’t without ST. There are members in this community who can do pretty much anything and we all have seen that. But I still feel it is $99 well worth it. At least we get to work on our coding skills and have an outlet for our frustrations. :wink:

And by community I mean ST + us.

2 Likes

If i could just make tiles show their device name instead of shaking the crap out of my 600 dollar phone i’d be happy.

5 Likes

That’s a good wrist exercise, my friend! :slight_smile:

I agree 100%. Smartthings seems focused on whats trendy rather than what would actually benefit the average end user the most. The fact that they prioritize something like Sonos, IFTTT, & Dropcam over things like Tasker, IP Cameras, accurate presence detection, or XBMC/Kodi intergration is just embarrassing to try to explain to my friends.

It doesn’t make sense to support dropcam before supporting standard IP cameras. Or IFTTT before Tasker. Or Logitech Home before XBMC or WMC. etc. etc. If I wanted trendy I’d buy an iPhone & an Amazon Echo. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

A developer in the community is working on Kodi integration with notifications and control functions. IFTTT before tasker because it’s on both platforms and you just sign in and go. Tasker is aimed directly at power users. I think the more valid question to ask is who is SmartThings targeting, power users or the average consumer?

Having just built a theater pc with Kodi, I can tell you it’s not just a simple install. I do have it working with my harmony home hub and will have it integrated into ST fairly soon.

Tasker

XBMC

1 Like

at this time i’m going away from ST for anything important like thermostats. I wanted something that was a dashboard of applications and control, and it seems like its just a cool toy that can do a few cool things and thats it.

i want to get rid of the 8-10 apps i use to control wifi devices, i want an easy to follow interface that doesnt require me EVER touching a coding language, i want devices to be plug and play into the app, and i dont want to have to scroll through 5 pages of “ideas” to find an app to control my device. if it can turn on/off, then either open up a sandbox of ways to control it, or create a simple hello home job. not all the “things, alerts, actions, more” garbage when you click +. not even gonna touch IP cameras, that was my main hope for this “smart home” device.

until those things are provided, ST is marketed to the power users. there’s no way the average person can use this system and have any sort of joy or content. the best part of wifi devices such as honeywell, logitech, samsung, xbmc and the myriad of others is that their apps work VERY well. until ST can replace that, very few people are going to spend hundreds of dollars on their hub and various sensors.

its a niche market and until it becomes a device that can control everything for the home, its a waste of the publics time. its sad though, because i had high hopes for integrating everything in my home onto this platform.

Good software from Logitech?, you are joking right?

One man’s meat…etc.

Let’s see - I use Sonos, IFTTT and Logitech Harmony (and was doing so before SmartThings came along). I don’t use Tasker, XBMC, Kodi or WMC. So if they went with your suggestions it would be me posting the exact reverse of your post…

The one item I think EVERYONE can agree on, though, is better presence detection would be nice.

1 Like

Thanks for the kodi integration link. You’ve hit the nail on the head regarding smart things’ direction. The problem is they are inconsistent. Installing custom device types and writing smart apps is not for the average user, but is required for a lot of its function. Smart things should prioritize the function devices before the style devices. Services like IFTT are more of a toy then a real home automation option.

I don’t have any problem with smart things supporting those devices, but the fact that they are prioritizing them over devices and services that would more dramatically improve their offering and overall function is telling.

When I saw the dropcam announcement I was furious that they added a propriety camera before proper universal IP camera support. But the dropcam is a name they can market.

They can’t approve smart apps that have been working for months but they add IFTT. A name they can market but doesn’t actually work well enough to add any value.

It is not, but allowing those that are capable of doing so will generate the apps that are eventually installed by the average user. An app store would solve many of the current problems. Right now, average users are being directed to install code and do things completely outside of their comfort zones. We need a way to separate the hard stuff from the easy stuff.

I agree. I have 2 others at work including myself who have ST’s and 2 of us really like it because we are on the more technical side, while the one person who hates it isn’t as technical. There is a clear divide and I wouldn’t recommend SmartThings to anyone who isn’t prepared to roll up their sleeves and dive into code and smartapps. This is where I thought the Revolv was going to make a difference and I am shocked Google put a halt to it (although I am sure they are going to come out with a Nest hub down the road).

I agree. An app store would definitely be an improvement. I’d also like more transparency from ST on the “out of the box” capabilities. Someone on the outside looking in won’t read pages of forum posts to figure out what they themselves will be capable of doing.