"SmartThings Classic" vs "SmartThings (Samsung Connect)"

NO, one UI is outdated, restrictive and a poor communicator of information

I have a Galaxy S9 and just started converting from Iris today. Only took me 2 hours with tech support to be able to get my Kwikset 910 lock up and running. Had to delete SmartThings that came with S9 and install SmartThings Classic to get it to communicate with Hub.

One UI Outdated? It was rather recently published.

Golly gee we’re in trouble.

2 Likes

Terry… bounding boxs which 1Ui seems to be all about becomes too restrictive, the boxs get larger as relevant info gets grouped and inserted until eventually the box may as well not be there, then there is the info within the box, it’s presentation becomes inconsistent within the layout, then there is the google design UI on the same device, completely different to Samsung UI, users end up with a mish mash of design ideas

Apples UI is consistant, Microsofts UI the same, a droid phone is full of inconsistencies, adding the 1Ui just makes a bigger mess of an already messy device

I used and designed the exact layout 1Ui displays maybe 4 years ago, it looks great for a while but very quickly becomes restrictive and does not fit with the open feel of modern web site design

It may have only just been released but it is out of date, poorly implemented and ultimately too restictive

Classic st design needed a refresh but it was a sound and proven design that delivered information in a consistant (mostly) manner

3 Likes

Thanks for all the thoughts. I guess I’m saying that we, as SmartThings (New) App users are very likely stuck with it, so it helps to understand what “it” is.

Reviewers may be confusing the overall Galaxy 9 & 10 UX with One UI - though they are intertwined, along with “Android / Google Design UI” in the mix too.

I’m of the impression that Reviewers are generally impressed with Samsung UI/UX these days.
No idea if the reviewers influence Samsung’s design teams; but positive reviews sure aren’t going to be spurring any desires for improvements.

1 Like

Meh… its just me Terry im picky with design and button shapes, shorten the corner curves, close the gaps and add some light options and guess what, you end up more or less where you started

I do like some of the new design and i can see they are trying to present data in an easier to read manner but generally it needs a lot of tweeking

users, 99% of users dont give a crap about design, dont even see it, its just there, what users do care about is the instant ability to see as much information at a glance as they can and pretty graphics, users love impressive graphics that are relevant to the information, be they small icons or pictures of the actual item, that impresses and shows attention to detail, it makes things more personal as well

Just think, in our world of Smartthings, what would be impressive is clicking a device, the device having its own spec page with links to possible automations and options, firmware, updates plus where to buy it, not just the manufacture web page but an actual list of up to date places and prices… hmm wander if that has been done before lol

5 Likes

Can webcore control the new shm status? So can use webcore to auto arm or disarm it?

Also all my custom device handler items once clicked on show all information correctly but on the favourites page just stuck at checking status hope they fix that soon and allow you to change device icons like old app.

Other than that seems to work mostly for me other than maybe a refresh button on each device sometimes i have to come out of the device and back into it to refresh the status.

No, webCORE does not work with SHM, location services or fully control ST TVs and appliances in STSC.

That sucks hope they change that soon. I have my SHM and hub mode all automated in webcore.

Left out they also need to allow adding of custom smart apps too. Ones I’ve added in classic show up and work fine but not able to add more.

All the classic app needed was a ui overhaul no idea why they couldn’t have just done that.

If the new app doesn’t get all the features of the classic, hubitat is looking like a good replacement.

Just noticed virtual momentary switches don’t work in new app :frowning:

Most (if not all) virtual devices don’t work… I’d validate that for you, but the new app keeps crashing on my phone.

I’m running Android and my virtual switches all work with the exception of the momentary pushbuttons. In a thread somewhere awhile back ST staff stated that the new app would not be supporting pushbuttons (momentary) switches.

I’m on Android too, but all my virtual devices show Disconnected, or at least the couple I can see before the app locks up and restarts. How are getting yours to work? I’m using the stock “Virtual Switch” DTH too.

EDIT: so my hub also shows offline in the new app but I can tell you for certain it isn’t. What a POS.

1 Like

@johnconstantelo

I haven’t had any issues with standard on/off virtual switches. I didn’t do anything to get them to work. Other than the devices which aren’t yet supported I do have one GE switch that will occasionally show disconnected until I reboot the hub. That one is odd because its the only one (it’s fine in classic and IDE) and I have a dozen or so more that are always online. I also didn’t have as many issues as others had with the new app saving the changes like wallpapers and reordering. I have nothing to back this up but it almost seems that the new app is very dependant on the device it’s running on. Again, just my observation and I am probably way of base here. I’ll look in the IDE and see what DTH I’m using for my virtual switches.

It’s just called “virtual switch” in the IDE

I also have a “virtual contact sensor” that is working in the new app. I can’t change it’s status like I can in classic but it does read the state of the device correctly in the new app.

Same here. Of course all my virtual devices work great in Classic, and the new app is useless to me when it crashes like this, so I’ve just avoided it the last few days.

For reference, I’m using a Samsung G7 on Android 8.0.0 and a V1 hub. If the difference is the hub you would think that I would have the issues being I’m on the deprecated hardware.

2 Likes

I also am not getting push notifications in the new app. I have the old app on an iPad and the new one on an iPhone. I get notifications via the old app on the iPad but none on the new app on the iPhone. Notifications are set the same way in iOS. In the new Smartthings app notifications are turned on under the 3 bar menu / gear / notifications. One location, one hub. The new app wanted to put all the devices in a room so I put them all in one room.

In the new app on the iPhone, under History, I can see all the notifications, I just never see them on the phone.

We found the problem was related to how the push was being generated(ie the command needed to be changed). I was able to update the app to work in both so it may mean the app needs a review of how the notification is generated.

Thanks. I take it you have a way to update the app but are not the owner of the app so that person/organization still needs to make a change? Or are you one of the app developers and at some point it will be updated and a new version released?

Thanks again.

I updated it in my smartapp, ADT Tools. So whoever is the developer of your app will need to do it. Or if you are willing to try to correct it yourself you can do it as well from the IDE.

What was done to fix it is below:

changing the push event in the smartapp from sendPushMessage(msg) to sendPush(msg) appears to allow the push notification to be sent to both the classic and new app, so I made that change and can just use the one app again.