SmartHomeMonitor - without pin keypad?

Hello all,

So V2 has Smart Home Monitor, Great !!! now how can disarm the alarm without going on my phone and open the app?

Is there anyway I can use a pin keypad ? lets say a family member visits and I would like them to use a pin keypad to disarm how can i do that ?

The Zipato Mini Keypad RFiD/Z-Wave (WT-RFID.US) looks good but i don’t think it will work with SM…

Any ideas or share your projects can help.
Thank you !

There are a few options out there. For me. I use smartTiles.click smartapps and have 2 tiles. One is arm and the other is disarm. Give the link to the member. The link works on any web browser. Option 2 is tasker and sharptools and create widgets for Android only. There’s a member created a pin dashboard somewhere here. I don’t have the link right now but you can do a search.
You can get a presence sensor for arm disarm as well.

1 Like

Check at around post 68 for a post by MitchP in the link below. He is working on a device type for a keypad that could work with SHM. There is also a new keypad from Lowes that some people are going to try to get to work as well.

2 Likes

None of the zwave keypads work with SmartThings.

Smarttiles in a phone browser is probably the easiest.

@tgauchat has an app that turns a minimote into a pin device. That’s a tiny handheld remote.

There’s an even smaller key fob remote from Securifi which has three buttons. It’s about the size of a car button fob. Works well with SmartThings. I don’t know if anyone has tried the pin smartapp with that though.

Very good news is that there is a brand-new zigbee wall-mounted keypad design for security systems by centralite which just came out. It looks like Lowes is going to carry it for Iris. Several community members are looking at getting that to work with smart things. It’s not there yet, but if they do get it working that will be an excellent keypad.

However, smarthome monitor still doesn’t have a delay, which means you have to put the keypad outside of the detection zone or the alarms will go off before you get the pin entered on your way in or when you open the door after arming the system on your way out. Hopefully smartthings will add a delay option soon. But for now you have to pick the location for the keypad very carefully even if it does work.

I think my own personal suggestion from now would be to use smarttiles on the phone because you can arm/disarm from either inside or outside the detection zone very easily that way.

Use the minimote or the Securifi key fob for anyone who doesn’t have a smart phone.

And then if the keypad does turn out to work, and SHM gets a delay feature, you can add that once everything is working smoothly.

Link to topic with information on the handheld devices:

3 Likes

Thank you @JDRoberts, that was a lengthy replay…

True, SM they don’t have a delay yet when the system if is armed, that something that can be adjusted by the app.

Smarttiles is a good idea, but not that safe …I am really hopping for a pin keypad soon.

I disarm/ arm based on presence, but I made sure my zigbee network was SOLID first :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I arm/disarm based on changing modes. When I lock my door, my connected lock triggers the “goodbye” home action, which also arms SHM. When i unlock my door, my connected lock triggers the “im back” home action, which disarms the security.

in @DinnerYeti config you can make a widget for each routine and run it from he today screen on IOS and i think works similarly for android as well w/o the need to open the ST app

1 Like

I agree, the zigbee can be solid, ST cant …

Not practical for a home with more than 2 people.

1 Like

It is a bit of a hack … but I think isn’t a bad option, cheap, and is technically “two-factor” (device + PIN) authentication.

This is exactly what I want to do but I’m not sure how you’re doing it. I’m looking at the routine creation. There is no option to trigger a mode change based on a lock. I see an option for presence sensors, motion sensors, open/close sensors, etc, but no lock. Are you using a different smart app? Care to elaborate? Thanks!

1 Like