Smart things Arduino shield issues

I got a new Smarthings Arduino shield . Though it pairs, I am unable to run stLed example (the first one I am trying with). I debugged this extensively and convinced that the issue is hardware related . My arduino (galileo gen2) has 2 hardware serial ports, I adapted ST_anything library to fit this board.

I am seeing only the following output
`setup…
|<~ custom netinfo
UNKNOWN
|<~ custom rgb 0 2 0
|<~ custom netinfo
|<~ custom netinfo

Within the library run loop
`oid SmartThings::run(void)
{
uint8_t readByte;

//Serial2.write("New\n");
while ((_nBufRX < SMARTTHINGS_RX_BUFFER_SIZE) && st_available())
{
         //-------------Code never entering here ---------------
	Serial.write("In while \n");
	readByte = st_read();

if ((readByte == 0x0D) || (readByte == 0x0A))
	{ // handle data from SmartThing Hub line-by-line, execute user's callback function for each line
		Serial.write("Newline\n");
		handleLine();
	}
	else
	{
		Serial.println(readByte, HEX);
		// keep track of everything that comes in until we reach a newline
		// TODO(cwvh): validate bufferlength 1988-10-19
		//if (_nBufRX > 200)
		//  panic("too many characters!"); 
		_pBufRX[_nBufRX++] = readByte;
	}

}
_process();  ---->the netinfo prints come from here

}

So it looks like the Shield is not sending / receiving data on pins 2/3 … shield jumper is set for 2/3. I even cross connected the 2/3 of arduino to 3/2 of shield just to be sure. I even swapped the debug and other serial port (and the jumper) and verified the output still the same (from debug port)

Any advice ?

Have you tried using the ThingShield with a traditional Arduino UNO R3 yet? Might be a good way to verify that the hardware is working properly.

2 Likes

Sure, will give try thingshield on an Arduino Uno.
That will isolate for sure if it is an issue with the shield.

Galileo was my first Arduino … placed an order for an Uno and Mega today. Will let you know in a couple of days.

If you’d like a nice head start on using the ThingShield, check out my ST_Anything project at