Smart Switch to control can lights and ceiling fan separately when they are currently wired to the same dumb switch?

I currently have a ceiling fan (with a light) and 4 can lights that are all wired to the same single switch. I know that the can lights were installed after the ceiling fan and that they were wired into the same box in the ceiling as the ceiling fan. They all work fine. The problem is that I cannot turn the ceiling can lights off without also turning off the ceiling fan. I would like to be able to turn off the lights and still leave the ceiling fan on at night. Is there a way for me to use a smart switch and receiver to accomplish this without having to run new wire? I am sorry if this has been asked elsewhere. I looked and was not able to find a similar thread.

If the ceiling lights are downstream of the fan, it should be pretty simple to add an in-line relay between the fan and the ceiling lights that would give you the ability to turn the can lights off when the fan is on. The problem is turning the lights on when the fan is off. :thinking:

In order to do that, you have to add a smart controller for the fan and replace the wall switch with a smart switch and you would still need the relay. Or add the Smart controller for the fan, replace the wall switch with a smart switch, and maybe you could replace the can lights with smart lights rather than adding a relay. The purpose of these setups is to let you use smart devices to turn the fan off, and the lights on, even though they are all feeding off the same circuit branch.

But it’s getting to be a lot of equipment. Possible, though, if you are absolutely opposed to running an additional wire.

Here’s the FAQ on having separate control of a fan and lights. The topic title mentions Alexa, but it’s the same approach whether you were using a voice assistant or not. The difference is that you have the separate group of can lights that will need to be controlled as well.

FAQ: 2020 Ceiling Fan and Dimmer light wall mount control compatible with SmartThings and Alexa?

Tagging @johnconstantelo @Automated_House just in case they have any ideas.

Thanks for the info!!

1 Like