Best Blinds, Curtains, curtain rollers,... anything that works with Smartthings

Hi everyone,
As the title says it, I need your advice on anything that I can use to block the sunlight and can be automated by Smartthings.

Thank You

Different people have different needs and requirements (and budgets!), So there’s no one “best” answer. There are a number of choices. :sunglasses:

Zebra blinds has a Z wave line which works well with SmartThings and is a popular choice. The distributor is active in this community so you can ask any questions you have before purchase, which is also helpful.

And the Lutron Serena line works with SmartThings through IFTTT or Harmony or through the official SmartThings/Lutron integration. In all three cases you will need the Lutron SmartBridge as well (one Bridge for up to 40 Lutron Devices).

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000864766-How-to-connect-Lutron-Caséta-devices

Those are probably the two simplest “out-of-the-box” integrations, with the zebra blinds line offering the most features in their integration.

There are a number of individual motors that can work with SmartThings, but the set up will be much more complicated. You can look at the project reports on the quick browse lists in the community – created wiki on the “shades” List and get some ideas about what other people have done. :sunglasses:

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Quick_Browse_the_Community-Created_SmartApps_Forum_Section#Quick_Browse_Links_for_Project_Reports.2FQuestions

1 Like

I have the Lowes Levolor horizontal blinds. I used @C_Hobbs release to make my dumb blinds smart. If you’re handy and have a bit of patience this is a super simply and fairly inexpensive way to have your blinds integrated with smartthings. From start to finish it only took me a couple of hours to get it all running.

2 Likes

The new Somfy shades have z-wave built in… Not need for a controller.

1 Like

Which models? :sunglasses:

Also, I believe zebra blinds are Grabers, which have somfy motors-- I know they reference your shady smartapp as one of the control options.

I don’t know the models. I can’t find model numbers and somfy doesn’t reference them on their website.

If you go to Home Depot or Lowes, it should be the ones they are currently selling. They come with a tiny square remote. Works with Bali or Garber…

1 Like

Both Bali and Graber are by Springs Window Fashions who make the z-wave shades. Bali is the big box store brand, Graber is only available through dealers and is a bit better in overall finish.

1 Like

Wow guys, I didn’t expect all these answers in such a short time, thanks a lot.

I will go through the options and check, I’m looking for something that supports 240 and I’m open to get my hands a little dirty :slight_smile:

I didn’t know this before, but I know it now. I have a UK hub which works on a different frequency that what you guys have in the US (very stupid of me). So looks like the options here are becoming very limited.
Do you have any idea of other options that can work with UK hub or use Zigbee? I’m trying to avoid any brand that will require another hub or the need to build it myself.

I have communicated with a couple of dealers on Alibaba and got a few responses, the one that got me interested is by misdar http://www.misdar.com/. They say it can be connected to any home automation and sent me some instructions which I need your help to understand if it’s a viable option.
I don’t know how tp attach a a pdf file so I took a couple of screenshots