Smart Sense Humidity Sensor

I got one of these after being inspired by the turn on my coffee maker when the shower comes on app. I did some tweaking with some help and have a nice app setup to run a series of lights when I take a shower.

The problem is my humidity sensor seems to only update the humidity every 15 minutes or so. Is this normal?

If so, it seems it would make more sense to try the moisture sensor and hope it does not get destroyed.

1 Like

@JDogg016 I am sure you don’t want to change your battery all so often. Do you? As such unless the humidity actually changes why would you like it reported but then you may have a different use case, perhaps? Most of the battery operated sensors have a reporting duration and change only threshold as far as I know so as not to kill the batteries.

On a lighter note, if you don’t kill me :wink: I wish I had the time to be in my shower indefinitely or in the bathtub playing with ST but where’s the time my friend? :slight_smile: Missus demands a contact sensor on the commode to check if I put the lid down… They pretend not to acknowledge ST. but certainly do come up with use cases based on their conviction.

I don’t exist humidity to change that often but it takes 20 minutes to take a reading and the humidity dogs 10 %. That’s just strange. A simple digital humidifier reads better than that.

Mine report changes every 10 minutes, and first change takes 5 minutes from the time shower starts. I’m using the smartsense humidity sensor.
A note on the moisture sensors, they contain an LED that stays lit on moisture detection, so that made those a non starter for me, as that isn’t going to do anything for battery life…

With due respect, YMMV.

Ok. So I have changed tactics and much thanks to you all for helping. The humidity sensor just would not kick in quick enough to make a meaningful change so I made the trigger an open/closed sensor mounted on the shower door.

I wrote this app (probably not that well) to turn off lights/on lights when the door is closed and reverse the process when the door is open. Two things, I cannot figure out:

1. How can I make it so that app does not trigger on a false alarm. For example, if I open and close the shower door within 5 seconds of each other I may not want the recipe to fire twice rapidly for open then close. (ie. maybe I am hanging a towel)

2. As I have a motion sensor in my bathroom, I tried to disable the motion sensor when the app is triggered. Take a look at the code and tell me what I am doing wrong.

/**

preferences {
section (“When the door closes…”) {
input “contact1”, “capability.contactSensor”, title: “Where?”
}
section (“Turn on the shower light…”) {
input “switch1”, “capability.switch”, title: “Shower Light”
}
section (“And turn off the bathroom light…”){
input “switch2”, “capability.switch”, title: “Bathroom Dimmer”
}
section (“Disable the bathroom motion sensor…”){
input “motion1”, “capability.motionSensor”, title: “Which Motion Sensor”

}

}
def installed()
{
log.debug "Intalled with settings ${settings}"
subscribe(contact1, “contact.closed”, contactClosedHandler)
subscribe(contact1, “contact.open”, contactOpenHandler)
subscribe(motion1, “motion”, motionHandler)
state.enabled = true
state.runoff = true
}

def updated()
{
log.debug "Updated with settings ${settings}"
unsubscribe()
subscribe(contact1, “contact.closed”, contactClosedHandler)
subscribe(contact1, “contact.open”, contactOpenHandler)
}

def motionHandler(evt) {
log.debug "Motion Handler - Evt value: ${evt.value}"
if (evt.value == “active”) {
if (state.enabled) {
log.debug(“Turning on lights”)
switch2?.on()
} else {
log.debug (“Motion disabled - not turning on lights”)

}
}
}

def contactClosedHandler(evt) {
log.debug "Closed Handler - Evt Value: ${evt.value}"
if (evt.value == “closed”) {
log.trace "I have turned on the shower light and turned off the bathroom light for the next 30 minutes"
state.enabled = false
switch1.on()
switch2.off()
def thirtyMinuteDelay = 60 *30
runIn(thirtyMinuteDelay, turnOffSwitch)

}
}

def turnOffSwitch() {
switch1.off()
switch2.on()

}

def contactOpenHandler(evt) {
switch1.off()
switch2.on()
def thirtyOneMinuteDelay = 60 *31
runIn(thirtyOneMinuteDelay, turnOnSwitch)
log.trace “Your Shower is done, I have turned off the shower light and turned on the bathroom light for the next 31 minutes”
}

def turnOnSwitch() {
switch1.off
switch2.off
}

def enable() {
log.debug "Motion enabled"
state.enabled = true
}

Thank you all again for your help.

Had anyone else’s tempreature reqding started to show up like this recently for the SmartSense Humidity Sensor… It shows no coloured tile based on tempreature and is very small at the bottom of the tile :confused: only happened since the last update

Ps: please ignore the ubi temperatures displaying allover the place and in farenheight, that is an issue im trying to resolve with @jody.albritton haha

Tempreature issues all round haha