Smart Lock Guest Access in Canada

Sadly I think it will be time to say goodbye to Smarthings…

I have used Wemo, Philips Hue, Smarthings and Wink as well as an assortment of other Wifi accessible devices…

My Wink hub is in the recycling pile now that they went to a forced / paid monthly subscription service…
I was forced to upgrade my Philips Hue hub because of reduced functionality - now Smarthings is forcing us to move to a new app. Fine. I moved. However, I am penalized as a Canadian by Samsung yet again… (don’t get me started on lack of support for debit cards on CANADIAN version of Galaxy watch Samsung Pay)

I think that moving forward - Wifi will be a way to go. To arbitrarily discontinue my Schlage lock functionality in Smart Things new app and as a result destroy my 3 Schlage lock functionality? Seriously?

1 Like

I do not understand why it is so hard to provide this interface to add and manage Lock Codes. Why would Samsung take away an useful functionality ? Is there any answer from Samsung yet ? Will they be providing any solution ?

1 Like

Lol, no one answers this question, it’s been asked many times

2 Likes

Support team responded, they were quite fast. However, there was no clear answer. They said it is no longer available, and that they will get the development team take a look at it.

I bought the RBoy app but feel I shouldn’t have to for something that simply isn’t terminated just not available in the new app for Canadian users. This forced crappy transition has left a nasty taste in mouth.

I might have to check out hubitat and consider migrating there.

1 Like

I have an account in Canada and had the same issue, but I checked my SmartApps today and the Smart Lock Guest Access app was available! Not sure since when it was enabled. Maybe it’s a progressive rollout ?

3 Likes

I have a UK account and shows up there as well.

1 Like

still an issue here in the caribbean

My understanding of this matter is the Samsung Subsidiary for your region needs to agree to offer it. Smart Lock Guest Access comes with some liability concerns inherently. This concern and generally being unaware people care about this functionality has led many Samsung Subsidiaries to have either not requested this or not even known to request this.

SECA (Samsung Electronics Canada) and SEUK (Samsung Electronics United Kingdom) within the last 6 months or so have had this enabled based on request. There’s not any gatekeeping of this functionality to my knowledge at SmartThings.

@Khy_Boogie I can’t guarantee immediate success, but if you want to reach Samsung Caribbean, they can be contacted via: Product Help & Support | Samsung Caribbean

thanks, there’s enough home automation going on here for the last few years that if it worked it would by now.

I subscribed to Rboy and worked immediately. Worth it for the lack of stress and no time wasted unlike chasing samsung.

Seems like its broken in Canada again. Tried adding a code today, but it wouldn’t allow it.

Deleted the SmartApp and its no longer available for the list. Added an American account to my Home, downloaded the Smart Lock Guess Access app through the American account, and all is well again…

Why with all of this running around on this app… just seems so odd.