Simple water flow sensor? Use MimoLite +?

I’ve been burned one to many times with my kids…or…eh…myself leaving on a hose on our pool/fish-pond, etc - only to flood some portion of my yard! Not a huge deal, but we’re on a well and it’s not really that great when it happens!

There used to be a GoControl Water Flow Sensor (WL00Z-1) but seems near impossible to purchase - it just wrapped around copper pipe and told you when water was flowing. That’s really all I’d need, just an alert to let me know water was flowing out of a pipe for more then XX minutes. I think I could remake one easily with a MIMOLite and a simple/cheap water flow switch with pulse code or a magnetic hall effect wiring…but am I totally crazy? They do make super expensive ones that is way over kill for what I need, I’d love to do this for under $100 or so!

1 Like

Hi my friend,
Im looking for a device that let me know when is no water. I need a sensor that can tel an oulet that is no water so it can be turn off.

Thanks
S

Can you access the water line itself? Are you able to install a plumbing fitting? I would try installing a water pressure sensor such as this: https://www.amazon.com/LF08PS-Pressure-Switch-10-40psi-Terminal/dp/B00GBTO7IA/ref=sr_1_20?keywords=water+pressure+switch&qid=1557193496&s=gateway&sr=8-20 then connect the pressure switch to a dry contact sensor similar to this one https://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Intelligent-Technology-Operated-DWZWAVE2-ECO/dp/B00HPIYJWU . When no water is flowing the pressure should drop to zero, which would close the contacts on the pressure switch and close the dry contacts on the Zwave sensor. You can program the contact sensor to send a message to your phone telling you no water is flowing. This particular pressure sensor closes at 10 psi and opens at 40 so you would continue to get a no/low pressure message until the pressure gets back up to 40 psi, so the operation would be somewhat dependent on your normal water pressure. There are many pressure sensors available. I’m not 100% sure this would work for you but the components are relatively cheap and worth a try.

thank`s I think it could work. how do I have to conect the dry conact sensor to the water pressure sensor?

Remove the cover of the EcoLink sensor and you will see a small screw type terminal block with two screw connections at the upper right. Loosen the screws and insert the wires from the pressure sensor into the holes at the side and re tighten the screws. Doesn’t matter which wire goes where. You will probably have to splice wires onto the pressure sensor since the attached wires look fairly short, so make sure you use a small gauge wire that will fit the EcoLink terminals. You won’t need the magnet that comes with the EcoLink sensor. You will also need to make a small cutout in the cover to allow the wires to exit the EcoLink. Follow the included instructions to include the EcoLink to your SmartThings hub. I would do this before hooking up the wires.

perfect, thank you very much. I already place order for parts. I`ll let you know how its go.

best regards,

s