Simple one - multiple on/off for a given switch

(Jeremy Krall) #1

I tried this last night for a Jasco zw4101 and ran into some issues. Its for the Christmas tree and I want it to come on from 7-9 in the AM and then 4-10 in the PM. I tried using an on/off via time in the SmartApps, but once you set one off time then you can’t set another. I also went the route of using IFTTT, but their system is just not reliable from a timing perspective. Occasionally its 5 minutes late and others 30, so would rather do this from ST.

Can anyone help with the best way to do this?

(Bruce) #2

This is inelegant, but will work: Put it in Lights & Switches twice, with slightly different names. Use the first one for 7-9 AM, and the second one for 4-10 PM.

(Jeremy Krall) #3

Such a fundamental thing, this seems insane… is this really best way everyone has found to do this? I mean, this is going to be the implementation for all the lights in our house that are scheduled so I’ll have dupes of everything.

(Tim Slagle) #4

Just use two smartapps for one device. One smart app for one time… the other smartapp will do the other time.

(Greg) #5

I agree you should be able to have multiple schedules for one switch. But a work around if you are going to have multiple lights follow the same on/off you could make one fixture comprised of all the lights and turn them on/off with the dashboard. Then make another fixture with all the same lights and add the other on off schedule.

(Scott G) #6

It’s sad that there are probably 10 ways to accomplish this, but all would be considered workarounds. I wonder which workaround is the most efficient? I have this issue with my Xmas tree lights. I have one group in Lights&Switches that is for weekday evenings, then I have two instances of the Smart Turn It On for weekday mornings and weekends. (We like to have the trees on when we’re home).

(Bruce) #7

You wrote that it was for the Christmas tree, a simple twice a day schedule. If you are talking about a broader issue of scheduling lighting, there are other ways to do what you want that don’t entail “dupes of everything”. For example, it would not be difficult to write a smart app that offers multiple schedules. I use one tied to modes that offers different dimmer levels based on mode, which is itself time-of-day driven.

ST sometimes seems like a puzzle. A solvable puzzle, but not obvious.

Anyway, having duplicate “shortcuts” in Lights and Switches is a standard way to deal with unusual scheduling and control issues. Once you have set these things up, they don’t eat any time / space / maintenance. It’s just the glue that you build with.

(Jeremy Krall) #8

@tslagle13 which smartapps would you use? I only see turn on or turn off a device. Once you use it once for a given device, you do not have the option to assign it again to the same device without renaming it. I don’t mind doing that, it just seems limiting.

(Tim Slagle) #9

Look through the smart app catalogue. should find one that does what you need it to do.

I think there is one called once a day or something like that.

(Morgan) #10

@tslagle13 Yeah, i’ve notice a lot of those smarts apps i used to use for this are removed now they have added the dashboad, so it has made it a little more difficult to do the multiple schedules than it has been in the past.

(Tim Slagle) #11

try “Smart Trun it On”