SHM and Motion Sensors False Alarms?

After a week of using SHM to monitor my house in parallel with my security system I have had two 1st gen SmartThings Motion Sensors (one powered AC and one on battery @75%) trip false motion alerts.

Since there is no way to adjust their sensitivity, I am curious if others are getting any false motion sensor actives with these devices.

Both devices are in dark rooms, no temp changes and have redundant motion sensors hooked up to my security system that did not trip.

I hope both of my original sensors are not defective, but I am curious how others have tackled the false alarm situation with motion sensors…

Since the motion sensors are cheap, I am wondering if a virtual motion sensor or a better motion sensor code can be developed based on multiple sensors and motion over time.

Reducing the single, false alarm motion sensor trip would be ideal, I just am at a loss as to where to start, since this is the first time I’ve seen these things be so unreliable with 2 false alarms in 3 days.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Just a quick update. Got another false alarm from the st motion sensor on ac power. I know there is no motion, but I think the device is potentially failing or too sensitive.

1 Like

There have been spotty posts of false motions on multiple sensors in the past month or so. I had one incident of multiple false motions in appx 10 minute period about 3 weeks ago. It was odd but I don’t use SHM, and nothing showed on camera or other systems so it was not a big deal. I assume ST was doing a semi-accidental live beta on me.

Yeah, I’m trying to figure out a virtual motion sensor code that will detect and reject false motion trips. Since these cheap sensors can’t be adjusted, it would be nice to set up “zones” or if multiple motions fire in x minutes, type thing to avoid this issue.

I guess the real answer is better motion sensors, but I am not convinced 100% its the sensors completely do blame.

@pstuart Here you go…

1 Like

Thanks. Looks like you already solved the issue. I assume this works with shm?

Yup…yes

I have an Aeon Labs recessed door sensor (Gen 5) that gives me a false “open” every once in a while. (I must close and re-open the door to reset the sensor). I have a ST motion sensor near the door as well. I am wondering if this type of logic can be used to solve my door sensor problem. Example: If door sensor trips AND motion sensor trips within a certain period of time, trigger alarm and text notification.

Has anyone written an app or patch for ST that requires 2 motion sensors to be tripped to activate the alarm but still only takes 1 contact sensor? The people at IRIS finally made this available and I never had any false alarms after that. My areas all have 2-3 motion sensors so the system worked perfectly.

Has anyone written an app or patch for ST that requires 2 motion sensors to be tripped to activate the alarm but still only takes 1 contact sensor? The people at IRIS finally made this available and I never had any false alarms after that. My areas all have 2-3 motion sensors so the system worked perfectly.

1 Like