[SHARE] CoRE - show & tell all about Pistons

A simple piston to control a Sonos. Turns on if I’m home and after 12 (I enjoy my mornings quiet), resets the volume to low in case the roommate cranked it the night before, and turn off the speaker if I’m gone

1 Like

A piston to announce if my roommate comes home using a Sonos. But only in the evenings. This is nice because it turns up the volume to make the announcement, then resets it back to it’s previous level. There’s uncertainty in the forums about whether to use “Speak text and resume” or “Speak text and restore”, but for me, the resume continues from where the song was paused

I have one of those electric fake fireplaces/heaters that I’ve plugged into a smart outlet, and this piston turns it on if the room temperature dips below a set point via an ecobee3 remote sensor

2 Likes

Here’s my attempt at using the Latching Piston. I set it up to gradually raise the lights from the previous setting (assuming it was dimmed down to a low level) up to 90 percent brightness. Then when the motion sensor goes inactive for a while (ten minutes) the lights are dimmed down and turned off.

My wife wanted to call one of the kids out of her room without yelling across the house. Because the acoustics don’t work well for yelling, the kids wouldn’t have heard the call. So I created a virtual switch in ST and set the piston up as follows. I also have an Echo/Alexa so the wife can say, “Alexa turn on Call Sydney” and the lights will flash on and off in the kid room. That’s when Sydney knows to come out of her room because we are calling her. This is so much better than yelling. And with a properly trained kid, it’s very effective.

4 Likes

You should try EchoSistant for this…

2 Likes

What are you suggesting I use Echosistant for? I’ll take any creative suggestions. My wife wants to make a simple voice command to Alexa which notifies our daughter via blinking light since she may have her music on too loud to hear any other sounds like yelling or Text-To-Speech.

We’re about to release the next version of EchoSistant that allows for TTS as well controlling bulbs and switches. You’ll be able to turn on/off/flash/and change colors… Plus much more.

It may do what you need.

I use something like that in one of my night light pistons.

Look under the but if section. If the switch is on and motion stops then it waits and turns off. I put the wait in there so if the sensor detected motion again it would cancel the off portion and start over.

Probably not written very clean but it’s functional.

“Alexa tell Sydney your music is too loud”
“Alexa tell Sydney dinner is ready”
“Alexa tell Sydney go to bed”

In each of those cases, if you have a TTS capable speaker in Sydney’s room, it will say…

“Sydney your music is too loud”
“Sydney dinner is ready”
“Sydney go to bed”

1 Like

Oh! Thanks for the clarification. Actually, I have set up a virtual switch and made it available to Alexa. Then I created a CoRE Piston that does the light flashes along with resetting the switch that was activated by Alexa. So, now anyone can just tell Alexa to execute the piston via the switch. I’m looking forward to seeing the new capabilities of the Echosistant.

1 Like

I like the prospect of having the system do TTS, however, I don’t yet have such a speaker set up in her room. She has an Echo Tap but as of yet, Alexa can’t transfer commands or responses from one device to another.

1 Like

Is automatic worth the price? I have a OBD sensor that doesn’t talk to a service but provides me with car info. Location stuff I just do with my phone.

Is Bloomsky a physical weather meter?

The “Bloomsky” is a personal weather station. More info on the device: https://community.smartthings.com/t/bloomsky-weather-station

1 Like

How do I get one of these…

Dang, @bamarayne, you missed out the BloomSky Outdoor Weather Station giveaway earlier this year. They (www.bloomsky.com) where giving away the v1 (Sky1) of the station as part of their community outreach program — ~$20 for the cost of shipping. I snagged two of them :smile:

Current station is the Sky2 with an optional addon, Storm (for rain and wind measurements).

I know!!! I was getting in on that and something happened and I forgot about it…

1 Like

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Special Event Lighting

Overview: Part of a special event lighting piston. This section is for the New Year.

Implementation: Uses @krlaframboise 's handler for playing MP3 files on the Aeotec Doorbell; standard ST Hue(Connect) for the Hue lights, Bloom in this case.

Feature(s): Track 28 is a MP3 soundbite of fireworks, while track 26 is a Chipmunks version of Auld Lang Syne (the Doorbell is limited to a max of ~20 secs. of play-time and this fit the bill, LOL).

Note(s): High WAF – the Chipmunk version of Auld Lang Syne was unexpected and she found it funny. Next event is 364 days away. I think I’ll add more lights for next year :smile:

2 Likes

some great examples here. I have a question, Where do you guys get screenshots of the setups? On my phone, it doesnt look anything like what you guys are posting here.