SECURE MODE ON/OFF help + zigbee issue

This is from the KB:

How do I disable insecure rejoin?

In the SmartThings app, the insecure rejoin is disabled by default through the Secure Mode setting. To view and edit the Secure Mode status:

1. Tap Devices
  2. Select your SmartThings Hub
  3. Toggle Secure Mode to your desired setting
  • Secure Mode ON = ZigBee insecure rejoin disabled (most secure)
  • Secure Mode OFF = ZigBee insecure rejoin enabled (most compatible)

Ok I understand, however if I select on my app SECURE MODE OFF then this changes my setting in IDE to ZigBee insecure rejoin disabled (most secure).

If I were to choose ZigBee insecure rejoin enabled (most compatible) in the IDE then the secure switch in the app turns ON.

Why is mine backwards and could this be the cause of my zigbee devices disconnecting at times?

EDIT: I am using the new smartthings app. Moved away from classic app months ago now.

EDIT 2: I think it may be important to add - I have zigbee motion sensors that never disconnect and work 100% of the time. This seems to be zigbee buttons I have the disconnecting issue with hence the reason I have been looking into secure mode and noticed the issue.

The zigbee buttons that disconnect are smartthings buttons (not as much but it does happen for a few minutes) and the Philips hue dimmer switch using the custom DTH.

For the smartthings buttons it seemed after a few presses they would reconnect however for the hue dimmer switch it wouldnt reconnect until I either reset it using the pin hole or hold all 4 buttons down which is still hit and miss.

Willing to try anything at this point

2 Likes

I think it may be important to add - I have zigbee motion sensors that never disconnect and work 100% of the time. This seems to be zigbee buttons I have the disconnecting issue with hence the reason I have been looking into secure mode and noticed the issue.

The zigbee buttons that disconnect are smartthings buttons (not as much but it does happen for a few minutes) and the Philips hue dimmer switch using the custom DTH.

For the smartthings buttons it seemed after a few presses they would reconnect however for the hue dimmer switch it wouldnt reconnect until I either reset it using the pin hole or hold all 4 buttons down which is still hit and miss.

Willing to try anything at this point.

Recommend contacting ST support to track down the root case. You’re right without knowing it may be harder for you to pin down what’s going on.

Also in general I’ve noticed some ZigBee devices lose connectivity if there isn’t a ZigBee repeater (active mains powered device) within about 20-30 ft.

Am I right in saying that mine is backwards though?

Yes, that is backwards. Are you using iOS? It looks like the behavior is backwards in the iOS app while Android mirrors the IDE.

2 Likes

@Brad_ST Yes I am using iOS. Could this be causing me issues? Could my hub be looked at to see why only some of my zigbee devices knock offline after about 10 minutes

I have received an iOS update today and the secure mode on/off switch is correct now. I am going to test my hue dimmer switch zigbee device to see if there is still a disconnect issue and will reply soon.

1 Like

Didn’t work . Same issue with disconnecting

After more testing I can confirm, a new battery in the hue dimmer switch is dead after 2 days. So this seems like the zigbee device is eating up the battery very quickly.

Had to reboot my smart hub to disable secure mode. once I did that, my bulbs were able to reconnect.