Schlage lock keypad lock vs manual lock

Is there a way to recognize pressing the Schlage button from the outside to lock the door when I’m leaving the house vs recognizing locking the door from the inside manually? I can’t seem to find anything in ST.

Other than the rboy apps, is there anything else I can look at? Will hubitat allow me to do this simpler? I’d like to have a small ecosystem, not 20 different things interconnected. Thanks

Both the [ST EDGE] Z-Wave Lock PH Edge Driver and the [RELEASE] Universal Enhanced Z-Wave Lock Driver for Schlage, Yale, Kwikset, IDLock, Popp, Danalock, August Pro, Keywe, Philia, Samsung have the ability to distinguish locked via the Schlage logo button vs a manual locking event. When locked by using the logo, Code Slot 0 (the master code) is what is returned in the lock event which in the Z-Wave Lock PH driver reports as slotName “Master”. I’m not sure what slotName the Rboy driver maps Code Slot 0.

Also, Smart Lock Guest Access (SLGA) does a push notification telling you that Master Code locked the door.

You can also see the manual vs one touch locking in the SLGA history.

1 Like

You can go one better. If you have a contact sensor on that door, you can have it automatically lock when you pull the door shut. That way you never have to worry about pressing the Schlage button.

Unless of course for some reason you need to know who locked it. I would rather know who UN-locks a door, and for higher security let locking take care of itself… but whatever you need is what you need.

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed reply! Appreciate it very much, think I can work with this :slight_smile:

I don’t have a contact sensor but I don’t want the door locked every time I go in and out anyway. I’d have to change the battery every week in the summer :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That could be handled via Location Modes. You would have them as preconditions in a routine. If any of a list of modes is the currently active mode, the door would lock upon the contact sensor closing. If none of those modes are active, the door would remain unlocked.

The modes themselves can be triggered by events or device states or manual commands or clocks/calendars. So you might have a Home-WeekendDay mode triggered by the clock striking 8am on Saturday, and if someone closes the door it will not lock unless they deliberately choose to lock it.

1 Like