Samsung SmartThings Hub (2018) discussion (Model GP-U999SJVLGDA aka V3)

I have a non-POE IP cam powered this way. Works great.

3 Likes

Weird situation here. Any help will be appreciated.

Missus and I were on hub v2. She received the dreaded upgrade message but she didn’t upgrade. I never received it.

Meanwhile, I bought the hub v3 aka 2018. Downloaded the new app, created Samsung Account, logged in. I see my mobile presence (iphone) but presence doesn’t work. Geolocation is fine as well. Works fine in the classic app. The mobile phone is registered in both the new and classic app.

IME, you can’t use mobile presence with both apps. At least on iOS. Pick one.

1 Like

Don’t give in to peer pressure!

After all, that’s not what the cool kids would do…

3 Likes

I seem to find a few reviews on Amazon that says the 3rd generation hub no longer works outside of the US. Although I know ST’s official stance has always been no support outside the official countries in which the ST Hub can be purchased through authorized retailers, I’ve had the 2nd gen US hub working in Hong Kong for a few years now without problem. Does this mean moving forward the Hubs no longer work unless it can detect a connection from the correct countries? Or is it no support will be provided for problems outside of the US but the hub WOULD work outside of the US?

At this moment, The V3 hub can’t be setup outside the USA. it has to be setup via the new app and it appears the new app only shows hubs to setup that are available in the region of your Samsung account.

2 Likes

I’d like to be able to replace a device with the same or new physical device. For instance, occasionally a zigbee or zwave device will go offline and need to be readded. I have to remove the device in the app then add it new again. Sometimes just a toggle might bring it back, or a battery change on the wireless sensors, but it has happened. Then you have to go-to all your integrations and reauth, refresh etc. Like webcore, action tiles, sharp tools, stringify, lift AND change all automations associated with the old device, (which is the same device! )for example.

2 Likes

Z-wave devices have an option to replace them (at least in the ST Classic App) which makes this fairly easy to accomplish.

For Zigbee devices, just factory reset them, and then pair them again. They will pop back in using the existing device since their device network id is the same. Just be sure to never remove the device in the app.

5 Likes

ill try these suggestions next time it happens @ogiewon, thanks! It seems to happen on the smart individual can lights that still have a dumb switch on the wall, if they’re switched off too long or something. Also, after lightning storms it happens randomly. It must be power surges or idk.

1 Like

Just an FYI. I know for a fact that Samsung is working with plume to bring their new hub to the complete home wireless mesh network meaning this hub is only a hub and the plume or the Samsung mesh will actually doing most of the work the v2 currently does.

I’m moving to a new location in a few months and since I’ll be tearing down my old setup and having to set up new z-wave in wall switches etc. I figure it’s time to upgrade to a new hub from my old V1. One question, I have several ‘My Apps’ in the marketplace for controlling things such as Neato vacs and Nest cameras. Since they’re in my account will I be able to access them with the V3 hub to set them up with the new hub or will I have to recreate them?
I agree with others that the WiFi capability will be nice since it should let me install the Door lock and a garage door opener and pair them after installation (when I know they’re installed correctly) instead of having to pair it before. I’ve had that issue with my V1 where I had to bring the Schlage lock to the second floor office to pair it directly with the hub before installing it at my current place since a lock can’t pair thru a repeater.

Set up a system for a friend about 3 weeks ago. Used V3 hub on WIFI. Been working fine.

Last night he got a notice that the hub was offline. After about 15 minutes he unplugged the hub and plugged it back in and it came back up online.

Has anyone else ran into issues with the WIFI connection? Or any other reason he had to reset the hub to get it back online?

Along the lines of my above post. Can the hub be reconnected via wired ethernet instead of WIFI? Will it connect automatically that way or is there something you have to do to change it?

The Hub will prefer connections over Ethernet if it is available and has an internet connection. So if you plug in Ethernet it will actually stop using WiFi unless/until Ethernet is removed.

6 Likes

We have seen a few reports of this and have been investigating. It is not a widespread problem but we have been working on root causing what is going on in this case so we can resolve the problem or, if we can’t fully root cause, put in an automated recovery for this sort of condition.

4 Likes

@Brad_ST @posborne - So its been asked multiple times with no mention from staff. Is there going to be a migration tool or backup/restore? If not is there a easy way to tear down the old network if someone were to upgrade without having to exclude every device separately? Also if you get a new v3 hub and join 20+ new ZigBee 3.0 sensors will there be a performance decrease if any “old” zigbee sensors are added?

Plan on adding SmartThings to my dads house so now trying to figure out if I should upgrade mine and move my old one to his house or put in a new hub there.

5 Likes

Talked to support. Here is there answers:

• No migration or backup/restore utility available or will be in the forseeable future. Tech support person said anyone that wants it should email them and ask as the more people that say something the better chance it has to get done.
  • No easy way to tear down. For the hub you can factory reset and erase all bindings but then you will have to manually do each sensor to get it to pair with new hub. Said it would be better to go through and remove each device individually so you can keep track.
  • There is no performance penalty for running “old” ZigBee devices with “new” ZigBee 3.0 devices.

So I suggest anyone that hasen’t contact support (just send a email request) and ask about a migration/backup utility…maybe enough voices will get something done.

2 Likes

How many is “enough”?

With ~1 million hubs out there, it will take 50,000 inquiries to be even 5% representation.

The SmartThings (Classic) App - which has existed for over 4 years - only has 4800 reviews in total… 0.5%.

5 Likes

We just need to hack the SmartThings database and do a mass email to all accounts and tell everyone to complain. Piece of cake…

On a more realistic note I found someone to buy a bunch of my old sensors and will be moving my old hub to my dads (along with some sensors there too). I also sold off a bunch of old but decent computer equipment for some extra cash. So with a new hub/sensors purchase mostly subsidized by selling old stuff I now have sitting on my kitchen table a v3/2018 hub and a slew of new “2018” sensors (2 new motion sensors, 8 leak sensors, 8 multi purpose sensors, and 4 outlets). This is going to be a fun process.

3 Likes

FYI - if anyone is going to try to do this let me give you my first roadblock. I created a new location since you can’t reliably control two hubs in one location (there is a faq about it somewhere) and then set the new location as default. I logged into the classic app and the only device I had was my phone for presence. I then logged I to the new app and added my new hub. Unfortunately it added the the old location. I called tech support and asked if they could move it and was told no. But they did say what to do. The locations it seems don’t carry over to the new app, when installed a new app your default location gets sucked in as “Home”. But in the top left corner of the new app there is a add location option. I added another and was able to add the hub to that.

Also talking to the tech support guy he said there is going to be a huge app update at the end of the month and claims that the majority of functionality of the classic app will be brought over to the new one including most 3rd party devices. Said although there won’t be a backup restore function it should make it a lot easier to do everything in the new app as compared to now. Guess we’ll see.

4 Likes