Running two hubs and any interference with upgrades?

Decided to run both SmartThings V2 and Hubitat C7 simultaneously for different needs. Both hubs work fine and all my devices/automations are stable and work fine 99.9%— however both hubs are about 1 ft next to each other on a network switch which is another 1 ft away from my Wifi Mesh Router. (Q1) Are there any value gained to try to move the hubs away like using the ethernet ports on my Wifi Mesh Satellites? (Q2) If I upgrade my hubs in future (for things like stronger Zwave / Zigbee radio antenna), would that likely increase my chances of more interferences running two different hubs?

If they are working OK for you in the current set up… might as well leave them alone.

that’s my motto :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thanks. Probably follow that advice and leave it alone. “If it ain’t broke…”

2 Likes

Q1) theoretically, for best practices, you should have the hubs and the Wi-Fi source each 3 m away from each other. These are Omnidirectional antennas, so when they are too close together, you can get some interference. It doesn’t usually result in messages actually lost, but they may have to be resent a couple of times to get through and of course very strong Wi-Fi can drown out Zigbee.

But as @jkp said, if what you have now is working for you, there’s no real reason to change.

Q2) absolutely, stronger radios can create more interference.

—-
If you’re interested in tips on best practices, read note 11 in the following thread, then go up to the top of thread, and read the whole thing, and you’ll understand more about the potential issues. I’ll link directly to that post.

A Guide to Wireless Range & Repeaters - #11 by JDRoberts

But again, as @JKP said, if you aren’t noticing any actual problems, you probably don’t have to worry about it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks so much for tips! Just read you link. Super helpful!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.