Rule Machine Feature Requests

This is way to much for someone novice like me. That was the reason I was requesting the feature. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

No way! This is perfect for a novice! It allows you to dig into rule machine and learn how and why things work the way they do.

Try it, set up these rules and then start playing with the settings. See what you can make it do.

If you have a question on where to find things, just ask… We’re all here to help.

If you want, you can pm me, but I prefer to go through it here so that others can benefit from it too.

Trust me, it seems crazy at first, but once you start you’ll see… You can do all kinds of crazy things with RM! You should see my master bedroom/bathroom… I’ve now got 15 different rules wiring working together to do different things for two different people at different times of the day… Now that’s confusing!

1 Like

Chowder, Bruce explained it very well. See my previous post. This is what I did using physical press on a switch. I used two trigger rules; one is to snooze the rule main lighting rule, the other to wake it up. Working great after 2 days.

LJ

Rule Machine currently supports Garage Door Control devices but not Door Control devices (which have identical capabilities to each other - see capabilities reference) - would it be possible to add Door Control as well so that I don’t have to add Garage Door Control to my door device handlers that are anything but that?

Additionally, when trying to use Garage Door Control in a rule, it only gives me the option to select the states open and closed - according to the docs linked above, unknown, closing, and opening are possible states as well - could those be added too (so that I can check for door malfunctioning)?

Thanks again for all your work on this!

This will be in the next release.

You’ll have to test it, because I don’t have any “door control” devices.

2 Likes

Rule Machine Version 1.8 Released

Decimal values for energy and power meters are now allowed. @Deleted_Username

Random color is available. @eric182

Capability Door Control now supported, along with all door attributes. @ahndee

See this post:

1 Like

It seems as if GitHub has not been updated yet?

Now it has. Sorry…

Thanks - so far so good. One minor omission though: Door does not show up as a capability to test for in the Custom Commands section.

One more question/suggestion: would it be possible to add NOT for rule evaluation?

I.e., I would like to be able to use

door is NOT closing

instead of

door is opening OR door is open OR door is closed OR door is unknown

(just would make things easier to set up and parse - at least for the human eye :wink:)

That’s now fixed; had it everywhere except the most important!

I have avoided this so far, as most capabilities had built in opposites. Now with the new attributes for door, garage door, music player, thermostat mode and thermostat state, perhaps I should rethink that. I will take a look at it.

Boolean algebra of course has 3 operators: AND, OR, and NOT.

1 Like

Unless you want to get fancy (and potentially confuse people some more) and add the derived XOR , NAND, NOR, and XNOR as well :wink:

Not needed, as they are totally derived. Only the 3 operators are needed for the full algebra.

This proved to be easier to do than I expected. I actually have it implemented. Now, I’ve got to test a bunch, because it’s all recursive… But, NOT is relatively easy since it’s a unitary operator.

Check this out:

1 Like

thanks for adding random color Bruce. I will play around with it in the next few days! Ican see where a lot of colors would be off white. I’ll check it out.

Rule Machine Version 1.8.1a released

Put NOT in. Please test it for me with your fancy new Door device!!

See this post.

1 Like

Awesome - thanks! I set up the rule using NOT and will know tonight whether it worked as expected (I’d rather not mess with the door remotely…)

I’m curious, what kind of door controls are you talking about?

It’s an automated chicken coop door controller I built for my wife (running on an ESP8266 with custom code and using a custom device type via LAN IP). It opens/closes the door based on light level (while connected to my hub it doesn’t depend on the scheduler and will run fully autonomous) and the automation will help me sleep better in the morning as my wife no longer gets up at sunrise :sleeping:

The additional states were required to be able to alert me if the door mechanism failed so that I can check on things (e.g., door is closing or door is opening - send message after xxx minutes (cancel on truth change) and send a ‘stop’ command to the door in order to not run down the battery by trying to drive a stuck door forever - the whole coop is running of a 12V and solar panel so that it can be moved around without having to trail a power cord). I just finished building everything last weekend and while things worked well so far I have to keep an eye on things to iron out issues…

2 Likes

Awesome… Thank you.