Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

@bravenel is aware of an issue with v1.2.6. Roll back to version 1.2.5.

I just updated Github, with 1.2.7. That should fix this bug. https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule.src/rule.groovy

1 Like

That fixed it. Thanks.

1 Like

Great App. I like that I can set different dimmer levels on different groups of switches, but can you add a few more distinct groups. This is a solution for developing scenes with ST that I’ve been looking for.

Example:
group 1 - dimmer level 10
group 2 - dimmer level 16
group 3 - dimmer level 23
group 4 - dimmer level 18

@bravenel @jnschemm yes, that worked! thanks!

Man, things start getting very cumbersome the more you put in. Just use two rules with the same conditions, and you can set 4 dimmer levels.

1 Like

I JUST ran into this and have been looking for rule functionality for a while. I had to move from Vera because my fiancĂ© didn’t like the look and feel of Vera. Thing is that it cost me an addon call PLEG.

If you are looking for some more ideas, check out http://rts-services.com/Vera/Plugin/PLEG/

I saw a post earlier about trying to evaluate multiple sensors that can push events at different times. With a PLEG rule, you define your triggers, properties, etc that you want it to keep track of. The rule engine keeps, in state, the result/timestamp of the last trigger/evaluation.

This allows for the following type of rule: Say you have a open closed sensor and a motion sensor in the hallway. You can define a rule that says: if an open door event is received and a motion event occurs within 3 minutes, do something
 Basically, one can detect if someone has entered the house and is now moving through it.

Another nifty thing is the ability to start/stop/restart timers. In a building I have, I don’t use device association. Instead, when motion is detected, door unlocked, etc
 a timer starts/restarts. When the timer starts, a light is turned on, HVAC is activated if too cold or too hot, etc
 A timer restart does nothing. That way, if the lights are turned off on purpose, they will not turn back on if someone moves around. When the timer stops, the light is turned off, AC put in away mode, doors locked, etc

I cant wait to check out this smart app.

@bravenel - Great app, adds so much to the ecosystem!
Would it be difficult to add a Button Press capability to the conditions? That way I could (more easily) utilize the power of your app with my Iris Smart Fob! I did notice this function is in your Trigger Happy app which I have added and will be looking at tonight.

1 Like

It doesn’t make any sense, because it has no state. Rule Machine evaluates the state of the conditions, so if there is no state to evaluate, it doesn’t really fit. Trigger Happy can most likely do what you need.

1 Like

New version posted: 1.2.11

Now supports setting the SHM alarm state as an action. https://github.com/bravenel/Rule-Trigger/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule.src/rule.groovy

4 Likes

I never really thought much about automating my house beyond lighting but the more I use Rule Machine, the more I realize just how powerful Bruce’s app is! And lurking the community I see people’s “how do I?” posts and almost everytime I can see Rule Machine or Trigger Happy providing an immediate and easily implemented solution.

I’ve always wanted to be able to do this:

From 2100 to 0600 and I am not home but the rest of the family is, lock the door and Arm (Stay). Rule Machine took care of it.

Thanks again @bravenel . Your app has really released the power of IoT on this platform.

P.S. If it wasn’t for this community of developers, tinkerers and fellow “why doesn’t this work” venters, I would have ditched Smartthings long ago. It’s truly the community that makes this system what it is. Thanks to all.

11 Likes

How is “switch to disable rule when ON” suppose to work? Is it meant to to disable a rule before it even gets evaluated as true or false? Can a rule be disabled after it has been evaluated?

I have a rule for my bathroom,
motion active and time between 4:30PM and 9PM
true action - dim: bathroom dimmer: 60
false - pending off: bathroom dimmer: 3 min

This works as intended, now I want to disable this rule as its running to cancel the pending off. I made a virtual switch that turns on when my bathroom fan is on and motion is inactive. The virutal switch is selected under “switch to disable rule when ON”. My motion sensor is set to reset and clear motion after 10sec. If this virtual switch is ON before the 10sec clears (rule is true) then the rule is disabled and the lights stay on. If the virtual switch is ON after the 10sec motion clears (rule is false) then the lights turn off after 3 min.

Is the switch to disable rule only suppose to work when the rule is true? I need it to disable when the rule goes false, is there another way I should be approaching this? Thx for any input.

New version updated: Version 1.2.12.

Release notes:

• Added Smart Home Monitor alarm state (Arm (away), Arm (stay), Disarm) as a condition.

This completes the integration of Smart Home Monitor into Rule Machine. You can set or test the alarm state.

To update: copy code for Rule from Github https://github.com/bravenel/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/smartapps/bravenel/rule.src/rule.groovy
Paste it into Rule in IDE, overwriting previous version, and Save. Do not publish.

2 Likes

Soooooooooo, will rule machine make SHM actually work? Or at least better than what it has been?

@bravenel

I tried to modify one of my rules just now, and got an error that says, “You are not authorized to perform the requested operation”.

Now, if I attempt to open that rule to work on it, that error just pops down, and that’s it. I can get into the other rules, but not this one.

I closed out the SmartThings app and went back in, but same thing is happening.

Is there help for this condition?

Just delete that rule and put it in again. If you can’t get into it in the mobile app, delete it in the IDE.

1 Like

Doh! Thanks, Bruce.
That’s what I was missing. lol

@bravenel
Oops
when I go in the IDE, I don’t see how to delete one specific rule. There isn’t much text at all in the ‘Rule Machine’ app (and I’m assuming I shouldn’t even look into the ‘Rule’ app since that is what gets replaced when upgrading to new version. Am I missing something? .

You go to My Locations, bottom of page, List SmartApps, top right of page, Edit. Then you can find and delete the specific rule.

2 Likes

Thanks, man. Got it done. Whew! lol :slight_smile:

I do believe that you have found a bug!

I have updated Github; please try that version, 1.2.13. Hopefully it will work as you expect.

BTW, for motion off, you should use Turn off after delay, cancellable.

1 Like