Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

Ok, so I just got back to using ST for the first time since February. I moved for a job then got my stuff/family here in June, and just now getting around to it. Anyway, I have Version 1.7.5d (23 Feb 2016) installed still. From what I’m reading, core isn’t stable enough to switch over yet, but RM was never super stable anyway. Should I keep what I have for now or move on to core? There will be no learning curve because I’m gonna have to read up on everything again anyway.

ST is not stable, CoRE is :smiley:

4 Likes

I’ve still got Rule Machine rules running and chucking along. I love the simplicity of it. Until they break, I’ll keep them until it stops working, and then I’ll re-do with CoRE.

I’m sure I could google it but has anyone done a YouTube video of Core?

1 Like

For me both are stable.core offers more features and a deep programming experience.the learning curve is steep for me compared to RM.
But when ever there is glitches, they were from ST platform.

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll install core and also keep the rule machine install. My only cool thing was my garage door opener anyway. I don’t have that here and I never could get my Logitech remote working right with plex

Has CoRE been submitted and vetted by ST? Because if not, future platform instability may lead ST Support to reply with a canned response that it was never published to be reviewed…AND THAT WAS THE REAL PROBLEM.

Because ~4,800 posts ago it was clear that RM was killed off by the original frustrated author because of ST platform problems, and ST said the the author never published the app to earn official support. This was proven not to be the case for RM or Landroid, etc. and this confirmed for us the review and vetting process was broken. ST support stated a roadmap to fix this for developers.

Hopefully there has been progress on the vetting process for this highly productive app which provides significant functionality to many driving the success of HA for all. Otherwise the the real topic here (LEAD DEV SUPPORT) will never be closed.

2 Likes

To my knowledge, RM had multiple request to be published and none were followed-up or prioritized by ST (I recall a screenshot shared by the owner on april 11th).
I am not involved in Core Dev so I am not sure when the publication is scheduled but it has to be a milestone.
I think he is working on the restore/backup processes…

But even after the publication of CoRE, if ST is unstable, so the rest of any kind of apps (public or not).
The only difference is we’ll be able to blame someone else but the ST glitches still remains.
But hey! We’re all on the same boat. So let’s help each other (either ST, CoRE community, …) and do the right things at the right pace. Once all features are implemented and tested, I am sure andy or someone willing to take over will make it public

A publish request was made about two months ago (that’s what the IDE says, does not provide the exact date, but it was requested on or right after CoRE hit the RC level)

3 Likes

You submitted under Apache 2.0?

I thought you were determined to keep it GPL?

While license type is hardly the most critical concern here (it’s great to see CoRE submitted!), I think you may be seriously at risk of license intoxication.

1 Like

No, the code is GPL - the Apache 2 they display in the request but I didn’t have any choice to choose. The code itself says GPL and according to the license it can’t be changed

2 Likes

This was posted 11/15, is this still true? I wanted to try it out.

It was Nov. 2015, and yes, it’s still true. Search on “CoRE” for the rule engine app that has effectively replaced it.

5 Likes

Thanks. Will do!

1 Like

Shame about RM.
I’m still on RM and it works fine for my needs.

2 Likes

Neh Bruce

Hiw do i install Rule engine i am reading here seems to be a great thing

Why would you want this if there is CoRE or even better webCoRE.

1 Like

You might wish to start with the very first post in the thread that you’re “reading here”:

1 Like

Rule Machine was indeed great, but it was withdrawn by the author last year and is no longer available, as noted in the first post.

Fortunately, there is now a very powerful community – created rules engine, even more versatile than rule machine was, called webcore. So that’s the one you want now. :sunglasses:

Thanks guya for the prompt response you guys are very helpful but you will need to bear my ignorance as i am not familiar with all the changes…

JDRoberts,
I am.fallowing the link you send and i am hitting a dead and i was able to follow the webcore training “video” but as soon i tried to install there are so many differences on the webpage i am not sure if foing on the phone defers much as doing on a laptop…
That’s what i see when i log in

You need to ask your WebCore questions in the webcore forum. There are lots of people there that will help you. :sunglasses:

1 Like