Rule machine - as per the app developer, this app is no longer available for new installs, distribution, or support

It went in the same place where 107 posts went, because my post is 4400 (active?)

well in 4400 posts it’s beleivable that ~2.4% of posts were deleted because they were irrelevant, off topic, moved, or duplicates.

2 Likes

It’s a diff, not a complete history of every edit. The Change to [Withdrawn] was just that, at title change. The file and title were diffed against the previous version of both and when it reconciled, discourse lost the title change.

1 Like

Wow, BRUCE WE NEED YOU! See how we are waiting for you to show up and watching for the smallest of signs!

BTW- If an edit counts as a post, Bruce’s last post was Apr 13, that was way before the Title change.

I doubt it was ST changing for PR, all the other WITHDRAWN posts are still there, just do a search.

@bravenel, you have had the one of the most beneficial effects on the community AND have sacrificed much to bring the attention and motivation for ST to GET IT RIGHT! Please tell me it was a poker move (we appreciate it) and you have won! Now get back to the table and make another bet! :slot_machine:

3 Likes

I doubt Bruce has unplugged and binned his hub, if he comes back, and I don’t know one way or the other, I’m sure it won’t be until he feels that rm is running correctly.
And today it isnt, nor are routines completing, while I’m not getting any headless zombies, I shouldn’t have to refresh a rule to get it working abain, and such is the current state of observations on my end.

6 Likes

I agree 100% ! I have been repeatedly saying that old corrupted data will not be corrected and it will have to be repopulated.

Are your rule refreshes having to be repeated since the “update”? Or occasional one timers? If we are still getting corruption, this is very bad for ST. I have remove/replaced my zombies and have not seen any come back in the last few days. RM is working great for me right now!

SHM on the other hand is in really bad shape! I want to replace it with RM but not sure where it is heading.

I have had several rules that have required multiple refreshes since the updates last week. Whenever there’s a platform update I refresh everything as a matter of course.

Mmmm, that’s not a good data stability sign :disappointed:

I have to do this about 25% of the time after an update. I’m stubborn and wait for things to fail, usually they don’t.

Since the beginning of my computer time I’ve always refreshed my data after a playpen update, software update, hell, if I update the hardware in my computer I’ll do a fresh reinstall of Windows.

I don’t think of it as a platform failure, I’ve always thought of it as the safety thing to do.

And on that note…

I refreshed everything last week and I’ve had no problems with ST since…

What is bothering me that’s really pissing me off is Alexa… I’m getting real fed up with the constant error tone for crap that’s been working for a year!

4 Likes

Was there actually Bruce and if so, who was he, really? Can we find 12 witnesses and begin documenting his prophecies and miracles? :angel:

9 Likes

Well… His disappearance was pretty darn close to Easter… :rabbit:

3 Likes

“Bruce Almighty”?

4 Likes

Give him 3 days, and don’t mention being nailed to a cross

More like Noah, didn’t he build a big Ark and put two of each capability on it? We just need to wait for waters to recede…

5 Likes

So there was, indeed, a loss of state… LOL (for some reason I find this amusing)

1 Like

what was your method of this refresh? ‘Update’ in the IDE, or click through everything in the app and “done” out of each rule, routine?

I go through each app and rule.
This way I can actually check and make sure everything is good.
It takes a little longer but I figure if I’m going to do it I might as well do it right the first time.

1 Like

Damn, so do I and it doesnt seem to change anything for me. I was hoping you were doing this from the IDE and I would go home and do that, and my life would be better.

I don’t know. I’ve been wracking my brain trying to figure out what could be making my system so much more stable than others. Whole not 100%, and I’m talking strictly with the number of rule actions failures, it is very very high. I’m having maybe two failures a week.

The only thing I can think of that might make any kind of difference, and maybe @Tyler, @slagle, or @jody.albritton can poop in on this, but I keep my rules fairly simple. I do not have each rule (rule is anything that creates an action no matter the app) performing a lot of actions.

I have multiple rules that interact with other rules in a web to create the routines I want.

Such as:

• modes - a mode change and push are the only things performed
  • Routines - Routines fire based off of a mode change (These are the most complex actions I have)
  • light behaviors in certain modes. I have each room set up separately. Instead of master bath and bedroom lights in night mode on one rule, they are separated into two rurule or more.
  • speech alerts - each has its own instance

Maybe keeping the actions simpler and separated is the key? ? ? Allowing the server database to use less resources (time) to perform the entire routine.

I will say this, which kind of unscientifically backs up my hypothesis, I have been combining actions over the last couple of days… Adding more to mode change rules, putting speech notifications into rules with their respective hardware and actions, streamlining mode lighting… Basically making things more complex.

This is what I’ve seen in the past two days…

• rules not completing. I receive the notification of the action, but the action does not occur
  • huge delays. I consider 2 seconds huge when before even my cloud based actions were less than a second.
  • erratic behaviour of devices.

Who knows, maybe I’m on to something? Opinions?

EDIT:
ST staff… And then there’s this… Which @JDRoberts had been talking about for some time