Rinnai Water heater now integrated with Smartthings! (Question...)

I know there are a number of different accessories that can be added to different rinnai models With different temperature controls and recirculation options.

I just wanted to mention that if you get one that has physical buttons, you can probably use a SwitchBot, which is a tiny actuator, essentially a robot finger, to physically press the button. These have an official SmartThings integration and work pretty well. I use them in my own home. they are battery operated and do not require any wiring and don’t void any existing warranties.

There are two disadvantages.

1. the button pusher itself is Bluetooth and connect to its own mini hub, so you might have to locate the mini hub near the device with the buttons. But then the mini hub uses Wi-Fi to access the Internet so as long as you have a good Internet signal, that part’s OK.

2. you have to buy one button pusher for each button as well as the mini hub. These are often on sale for around $30 each. Which means you might end up with a total cost of 100 or even $150 depending on how much you want to automate.

So I’m not saying this is a good solution, but it may be a solution. People often use a SwitchBot for a heat pump, an air conditioner, A coffee machine, in my case a blender: anything where you just need to push a button. Once you have that, you can add it into smartthings automations as desired.

Available in the US, UK, Japan, and some other countries.

Again, I’m not saying this is a good solution, or to let up on pressing the company for better integration, but it might work for some people given the investment that’s already been made.

Here’s a review I wrote on the SwitchBot for this forum:

2020 Switchbot Review ( robot button pusher), integration through IFTTT or new V3 app

1 Like