Rheem EcoNet

@Justin_Huff

RE: my custom commands in Rule Machine…

I checked the old code, and it looks like yours has the same capabilities. So, I guess that’s not the issue with getting the rules to work.

Looking at the custom commands, I see that they are using the following command…
setHeatingSetpoint

When I look at the code for the old device, I see that command in it, but not in your updated one. I assume this must be a result of part of what was changed in the API…

OK, it looks like it got changed from setHeatingSetpoint to setSetPoint.
Is there any chance of adding the ability for the device to work with the command setHeatingSetpoint?

The reason I ask (beside the fact that I’m not at all experienced in coding) is that the SmartApp, Rule Machine can’t really be modified to work with different command sets, etc.

If this device can’t use the setHeatingSetpoint command directly, is there any way of adding in a translation mechanism of some sort, so that setHeatingSetpoint commands can be sent to it and it does the work of translating that unusable command into the correct command for the API?

EDIT: Checking on THIS (@Mike_Maxwell 's Universal Virtual Device Type and Translator).

Ahh! Yes, I did mess that up. Forgot about the capability setting.
I just fixed it.
Give it a try.

1 Like

What kind of things can you do when you integrate this with smartthings? Just rang to seee some examples, etc.

Thanks.

OK, thanks. I will tonight for sure. I’ll report back after a bit…

@dennisellis
When everyone is gone (i.e. SmartThings Mode changes to AWAY), I have it set the water heater down to 120.
When HOME during daytime, 135.
When NIGHT (i.e. we’re home, but sleeping), 125.

Now, the only number I’m using here that has any basis in fact is the 120 number. I have read in plenty of respectable places that it is necessary to keep the water in a gas heated tank water heater up to at least 120 degrees F in order to inhibit the growth of the microorganism that causes Legionnaire’s disease.

As for the other numbers, I’m just playing around with trying to save money and resources by not heating it as much all the time when nobody’s around.

Doh!..I think I just had a brain fart…I’ll be right back…
…yep, somehow…even though I hadn’t even done anything to the code of the SmartApp, I tried pasting the code for the Device Handler in to overwrite the SmartApp lol

Anyway, I got your new code in there, and the Rule Machine rules and custom commands now work!
Now everything’s right again in my water heater’s world.

Oh ya…there’s something kooky going on with the Rheem app now (the native Android app from Rheem).
Every time I go to use it after being away from it for a while, it requires me to log in again.

So, since you’ve fixed this setup, and since it actually works now, I will most likely never even need to go into the Rheem app unless there is some kind of problem that requires it.

Thanks a lot, Justin!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d like to have something set up similar. How do I go about it? I just don’t want to mess anything up. I’ve heard the same as you about it dropping too low.

If you already have Rule Machine (no longer available for install), I could show you the way (it involves creating ‘custom commands’, and creating rules to use those custom commands). It’s not difficult at all, but if you’re not already familiar with the process, even though I’m no guru, I could guide you on this part.

If not, you will probably need to try it with CoRE, which I, unfortunately, still haven’t really done anything in yet except install it. You would need to install it, and then go to the thread where people can ask for help with setting up ‘pistons’.

If you need any assistance with any of what I just said, let me know.

Thanks. No rule machine. I’ve heard of CoRE but it seems a bit overwhelming to jump into. Maybe I’ll give it a shot one day.

Btw isn’t 135 really really hot?

Sounds good.

Hot? Ya, but it doesn’t mean I use it at full heat. It’s more about making sure there is enough hot water for everyone and everything that needs it.

I think, over time, I will do some more testing, and make a more complex ruleset that will only have it up that high during peak times like shower time (very predictable), dishwashing time (predictable within a range), laundry time (sort of ramdom, but could be structured), etc.

For now though, the way I have it is much preferred to the way it used to be with having it set to 135 24/7 (i.e. as I’m sure you can understand, without the ability to configure it to be changed automatically through home automation like this, it’s way too much of a PITA to manage this kind of temp change routine manually).

At least I’m setting it really low (120) when we’re gone from the house, and moderately low (125) while sleeping, and that is a significant, positive change.

1 Like

[quote=“sgnihttrams, post:110, topic:18791, full:true”]

[quote=“dennisellis, post:109, topic:18791, full:true”]
I’d like to have something set up similar. How do I go about it?..[/quote]

If you already have Rule Machine (no longer available for install), I could show you the way…

If not, you will probably need to try it with CoRE…[/quote]

[quote=“dennisellis, post:111, topic:18791, full:true”]
…I’ve heard of CoRE but it seems a bit overwhelming to jump into. Maybe I’ll give it a shot one day…[/quote]

On this note (that is, CoRE), I’m now finally to the point where I’ve started using CoRE, and have my first Piston created and in operation.

As such, I decided to give this new Rheem device a try. Unfortunately, I haven’t yet found a way of doing it.

I suspect it may require using CoRE’s ‘variable’ feature. I will dig into it, and see how far I get…

p.s. If anyone else in this thread already knows how to use this device from within CoRE, please post up here.

Does anyone know of a device handler for the Rheem Furnace and AC unit? I do not have the water heater and when I installed this handler and app it returns “Error! Could not find any devices”

Any thoughts on how to connect this to the HVAC system?

Thanks.
Greg

First @Justin_Huff awesome job thanks you so much for this DH.
It works great, is it possible to add vacation mode?

@sgnihttrams
I’m not a pro at core but this seems to work.
And I’m sure theirs a better way

For action you need to select
"control any device "
Then
“Select sensors”
Then you should find the water heater
See screen shot for action settings

1 Like

[quote=“scpickle, post:115, topic:18791, full:true”]
First @Justin_Huff awesome job thanks you so much for this DH.
It works great, is it possible to add vacation mode?

@sgnihttrams
I’m not a pro at core but this seems to work.
And I’m sure theirs a better way

For action you need to select
"control any device "
Then
"Select sensors"
Then you should find the water heater
See screen shot for action settings…[/quote]

Awesome! Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:
I just set up a Piston in CoRE, and when tested, it worked perfectly.
I didn’t know about the ‘Sensor’ option. That’s sneaky lol

So…
@dennisellis
Now that we know it’s possible to do this with CoRE, when you’re ready, post up here and either I or somebody else will give you a hand.

Not yet, this is just the Hotwater heater. Support certainly could be added, but I don’t have any of that hardware to work with. Volunteers??? :slight_smile:

I can’t edit the first post anymore. I’d like to change it to @Justin_Huff’s link since he is putting effort to keep the integration alive.

Thanks @Justin_Huff

1 Like

I suppose it’s possible, but I’m not clear what vacation mode does vs on/off and temperature.

Thanks @copyninja
Maybe just update the GitHub page to point to my repo?
Also: thank for the initial work on this!!

1 Like

Vacation mode only puts the temperature to the lowest setting. You need to pass vacation start date and vacation end date to enable this, and clearly this isn’t as flexible as Nest’s “Eco mode” where you flip a switch and change the mode.

You’re better off using Rules Engine like CoRE to change the temperature to lowest setting when you’re away.

2 Likes

You could ask a mod to help with this. I would think they should be able to modify the OP.
Otherwise, redirecting at Jason’s github page for this project makes sense.

I was hoping that the on/off tile was vacation mode but that appears to do nothing at all.
Maybe on the electric model im using gas.

FYI
I’m not sure if this is related to this dth are if its just a problem with the rheem app but i have noticed that the rheem app is making me re log in now sometimes when i open it.
Stating the session has timed out are somthing like that.
It never did this before, but i have problems with there stupid app all the time, so it may just be them.

1 Like