Rheem EcoNet

If I knew how, I’d love to… Unfortunately I’m in a slightly different situation, after discovering that my parent’s (who’s house I’m currently working on automating) new Rheem HVAC (furnace/AC) system cannot easily be wired up to a typical Wifi thermostat (it uses E1 and E2, which work differently than the standard setup with relays, I guess it sends data… I’m not positive). So, I bought REWRA630SYS module to enable wifi control, it seems the water heater model they purchased does not have econet capabilities, that’s a bit upsetting as I’m sure they’d love to have that level of control…

Anyway, I plan to install the module and see what I can do in regards to connecting it to Smartthings (I’m still bumbling my way around programming apps/device handlers), I figure my worst case scenario is I’ll just run new wire up to the thermostat and wire it up the old fashioned way.

I just bought the Rheem hot water heater and the wifi module. Just seeing the options and ways to add to my system.

This project is dead. The original creator no longer has the system. To be honest, the Rheem wifi module was the worst HA product I ever bought. I wish I saved a few hundred dollars and got a lower model without this. The technology is flakey and I am really not sure what benefit it provided me. I have it tied into my Nest via Works with Nest which supposfly saves me money when my Nests go into Away mode. Who knows if that is happening since Rheem does not provide any reporting.

Well, I was not able to install the smart app cause it came up with an error.

As already stated multiple times (including 2 times in the past 5 posts), this integration is DEAD.
Since Rheem changed their APIs, and since the guy that created this Device Handler and SmartApp no longer has this hardware and has stopped work on it, it’s DEAD.

Just so you know what we mean by DEAD, it means that the Device Handler and SmartApp offered in the OP of this thread CAN NOT, and WILL NOT work with the Rheem WiFi Module.

We all hope somebody else picks it up at some point though. So, please feel free to continue to bump this thread. :slight_smile:

I wanted to see if other folks had the same issue I did this morning. I woke up with no hot water, so the first thing I did was open the Rheem app to see if perhaps the hot water heater was off or the temperature was lowered. I could not get into the app at all and it was spitting back nasty error messages. Their web site also wouldn’t let me login, so I knew it wasn’t my environment. I went downstairs to my hot water heater and unplugged the power and plugged it back in and then I immediately heard the pilot fire up and begin to heat my water. (I forgot to check for the pilot light before which was a mistake). I am curious if others had a similar situation this morning? I am not sure if the fact that Rheem was having infrastructure issues played into my lack of hot water. For the record, the Rheem infrastructure is now back to functioning.

Anyone else have these issues this morning?

1 Like

Do you have yours setup as a device type in ST? If so, would I be able to get your code that you are using for it, please? Thanks

Thanks for sharing that experience.
Nothing here like that on that date, but it’s always good to hear what others are going through. :slight_smile:

Since they specifically mentioned the “Rheem app” and made no mention of ST, I’m assuming the answer is no, but…

No, I do not. This was purely a RHEEM related potential issue. The code no longer works and is deprecated.

Anyone know what I need to do to get this app up and running again?

No.
The only way would be if another coder picks it up and runs with it.
I assume that would have to be somebody that has one, if they existed, they’d most likely have been in here by now.

I think this is dead.
Sad, since this was the only reason I got my Rheme water heater in the first place.

I decided to tackle this over the weekend.

The new Rheem API and developer site is next to useless, but I was able to reverse engineer what they’re doing.

Here’s the result:

No real guarantees here, and I’m also not sure how much time I’ll be able to spend on it.

3 Likes

Awesome!
Thanks! :slight_smile:

I will check it out…

OK, I set it all up (i.e. followed your instructions on the github page, and added both the SmartApp and the Device Handler, and then added the SmartApp from within the SmartThings mobile app), but it didn’t automatically add the device.
Do I need to add the device manually?

I did modify the ‘name’ for both the SmartApp and the Device Handler within the code for each. Should that matter with your setup?

Three questions:

1. Did you remove the previous version?
  2. When you changed the name in the code, did you update the addChild call in the SmartApp to match your new DeviceHandler name?
  3. After installing the SmartApp, did you see the list of hotwater heaters? Did you select any?
1 Like

Thank you so much!
I did not know about the edit that my name change necessitated. I made that edit, cleared everything out, and tried it again, and it worked. :slight_smile:

It is working; reporting changes that I make in the Rheem app pretty quickly! :slight_smile:

One more question…

Can I change the name of the resulting device?

Also, I have some rules that still exist in Rule Machine (I know, I’m a fuddy-duddy, and I still haven’t made the move to CoRE) that I created to work with the old Rheem Device Handler and SmartApp. Do you have any idea whether or not these old rules will still work with this new version?

p.s. where’s your PayPal (or other) donation link?

Fantastic!!

Yes, you should be able to change the name of the resulting device.

The device interface is more or less unchanged, so the old rules should work once you change them over to point at the new device.

Re donations, thank you for the offer! I just updated GitHub with a couple links to EFF and Let’s Encrypt. They’re doing good work and could use your support:)

1 Like

Nice work! Seems to work great.

Now the million dollar question, what kind of automations are folks doing with these? I have it setup to Works with Nest where it’s supposed to save me money when my house is in Away mode, but I have yet to see if this actually works. The device has always been so unreliable I’ve been nervous to set anything up on it. One issue I have is when my kids take long showers, we run out of hot water for the next person, but I am pretty sure that the only answer to that is a bigger tank?

OK. I changed the name and it works.

However, after re-pointing them to this new device, the rules don’t work.

I recall when I set them up originally, I did so by creating ‘custom commands’ because Rule Machine couldn’t work with it directly without a little help.

It may have also been the case that I had to add a capability or something to the device.

I will look back at notes and see if I can figure out what all went on to make it work…

Will this work for the EcoNet for the Furnace and AC unit? I don’t have a water heater but have the whole Rheem EcoNet HVAC system.

Thanks!