RF Controlled TV bed

I have already ordered the 4 port :smiley: I imagine I don’t have to make use of the two spare? Also I now have no need to worry about voltages etc? Just connecting the 4 relay Ir and thats it?

Yup can only use two until you find something else you want to do with the other 2, I’m thinking leds under the bed, disco ball maybe. LOL

You will just connect VCC to both relays most likely first term then the out pins to most likely the 3rd terminal. You will have to see when it comes in what the terminals are labeled

1 Like

This was one of the very first SmartThings projects i attacked when i started out on here . . . and to this day its still my favorite (also a great hit with the misses) so ill explain how mine works to hopefully help or inspire yourself.

my tv lift bed system is the KAYDIAN MAXIMUS 4OINCH TV BED - so alike yours its RF operated. so the first thing i did was order a second RF remote and solder the up/down buttons into a IR RELAY (the velleman one mentioned above) . . . i think programmed this into my LOGITECH ULTIMATE HARMONY HOME (it already recognized the velleman and could send momentary style signals to the relays which then replicated button presses on the rf remote.

So with the tv bed now been controlled by harmony i simply created an activity to lift the tv bed and turn on the tv at the same time once the activity was started, and turn off the tv and lower it once it was turned off.

i also put in the lid of the tv bed mechanism an open/close sensor to tell me if the tv was up/down (current state) ideal for if i go out and leave the tv up as i have a rule that says (if everyone is out and the tv bed shows as open, run activity lower tv bed and turn off tv)

i also have a HUE LIGHTSTRIP that wraps round the rear of the tv, this is linked to several rules around the open/close sensor and state and time of the tv been up or down and the state of the harmony activities.

the only thing im now planning to improve this is adding 4 paddle or mood controllers to the bedroom, one either side of the bed, with buttons commands to lift & lower (turn on/off) the tv bed and to turn on/off the hue strip behind the tv and our bedside lamps also eventually close and open the shades and turn on/off the main lights . . .

but i have to adit out of all my home hacks / integration my rf tv bed hack is by far the most used / most reliable and most loved automation in the home.

1.)

2 Likes

Good morning to everybody . Today only I got a query regarding our 4 channel IR relay board which can be useful for this TV bed. And I am thankful to that member as I am now part of this wonderful community.
Coming back to the query, yes, we have got a very useful 4 channel IR remote relay board specially designed to control 2 DC motors. The board is iR-4C-M
This board is a very good low cost solution to control any thing having DC motors through IR remote. You can have more information by visiting following link.
iR-4C M DC Motor controller.
You can also download the [iR-4C M User Manual](http://iknowvations.in/docs/iR-4C-M UM.pdf) to know more about technical detail and user information.
I hope this will be helpful to you all. Please feel free to ask any questions. I am also planning to put forward many projects based on our various cards which may be useful to all community members.

1 Like

Yeah thats a great write up buddy. Pretty much what my final project should look like.

Hardware that I ordered is starting to arrive individually. Got the photon & 315mhz kit.

Looks like I will still be waiting a few weeks for the relay though :frowning:

1 Like

Morning folks. I’m back and pestering again.

So today I have confirmed if I jumper the following results happen.

VCC > OUT3 TV motor goes up
VCC > OUT4 TV motor goes down.

Still waiting on my IR relay. Any way to wire this up to the photon without worrying about electrical damage.?

1 Like

Glad to hear. Always nice when the magic smoke stays on the inside. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As Far as I am aware this photon can output 3.3v which I would imagine I need to output 4.9v?

It’s working!

When this is the particle setup the bed is down.

When this is setup the TV is up.

Anyone any idea how to get the particle to jump between these as a 1click (on/off) option on smartthings. Really happy. @tgauchat

On a side note the photon seems to be OK not running on three USB.

That’s awesome. Nice to see it’s so easy. Congrats. I didn’t even think for some reason you were running the proton right off the existing board. Duh

1 Like

I might have to get one of these to tinker with. I have a few dumb things I’d like to tie into Smartthings.

1 Like

yeah so simple. Looks like I don’t need that IR relay. Strange :smiley: Whats the chances I have just caused a massive fire hazard? lol

From what I can see I need to get the photon to do the following

As default pins D0 (Up pin) and D3(Down pin) need to default at "low"
In my head I press the On button in Smartthings. This tells the photon to set D0 as High for 15 seconds to put the TV to the perfect position. After 15 seconds it reverts D0 to Low and leaves the TV in position.

When I press the Off button in Smartthings, Photon changes D3 from Low to High for 20 seconds to put the TV down. After 15 seconds it reverts D3 to Low .

I am not sure how to make any of this happen due to 0 coding experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a fair amount of Arduino coding experience and can assure you this is pretty easy… What I don’t have is Particle Photon experience, but the whole point of the Particle Photon system is that it provides a rather easy to use cloud layer over top of typical Arduino coding.

I’m not sure when I’ll get a chance to do a hands-on project with Photon, but the lazy answer is that @keithcroshaw (and a few others before him?) built a SmartThings integrated blind tilting project with Photon and could at least point you in the right direction. Send him a PM and/or check out his project…

It’s a long thread, so browse around until you find the latest code.

But frankly … I wouldn’t be surprised if the code in the first mentioned GitHub is a not a bad starting point…

(P.S.: If you have a budget for co-operative custom development; Private Message me. We can work over Skype and I have Photons to build with.)

2 Likes

Yea PM me too if you want to figure out some specifics. Once you understand how simple calling of functions from SmartThings is you’ll see that the SmartThings to Particle Cloud communication is dead simple. The hardest part will be your Particle Photon code.

1 Like

@darrenflanagan ok looks like you’ve been busy. i think i have the solution you are after

flash your Particle firmware with the following, please take not of the timeTVUP & timeTVDown constants, these are set to 10 seconds (in ms). you need to time how long it takes to raise and lower the Screen and set these accordingly

then add the following Device Type and and SmartApp in the relevant sections of the IDE

and the smartapp

then load the TV Bed (Connect) app from your My Apps section of the SmartThings App and enter your particle username and password click next and select your particle photon Device (the particle has to be plugged in and online) and viola it will create a switch in ST with the name of your photon Device then when you click on the tv will raise and when you click off it will lower…job done

please PM me though as i would like a quick chat regarding how you currently have it wired.

I have tested this with a photon board plugged into two LED’s on D0 (Up and Green) and D3 (Red and Down)

i have made a very quick video showing the setup process of the app which will be uploaded and processed very soon

this should be the missing pieces of your puzzle. let me know how you get on?

4 Likes

Wow you guys are like mad scientist! Very cool.

Someday I would love to learn what all this mumbo jumbo means!

Sorry for the interruption

4 Likes

Off topic, but … May I ask what tool you are using for Android emulation on your PC? Or is that a screencast from your mobile? If so … what screen case software? Thanks! (BTW: I use Bluestacks… not bad, but a little clunky).

1 Like

im using the android emulator that is part of Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition

2 Likes