[RELEASE] Zooz Scene Controller (ZEN32)

I can’t seem to find how to set the main large button “Switch Button” to do anything (with the physical button disabled since I have a LIFX bulb installed)? I have all 4 small buttons set up to change the colors and brightness using all 6 options on each. I’m confused on how to just use the large button to turn on/off 100% bright white with one push of the Switch Button. I don’t see any settings to change. My parent looks just like the screen shot that Kevin posted above. Am I supposed to have a 5th switch button? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s how mine is set for the parent (the big button). This allows the big button to still report presses ans status but NOT turn on/off the actual load on the switch.

The parent is the big button so its device details screen should have the same tiles as the child buttons and you should see the same options in Automations.

THANKS! I didn’t realize I had to use “Automations” in order to program all the different button clicks for the large button. PROBLEM SOLVED.

2 Likes

Is my understanding correct that the main button cannot dim a direct connect load? I know I can use the main button to dim my LIFX Bulbs, but not being able to dim a standard bulb like my fan light would be very disappointing. I was hoping to install these in my kids room to control the fan light, LIFX bulb in lamp, and shades. But not being able to dim the fan light would not be ideal. I guess a solution would be to buy the LIFX mini’s and install them in the fan.

The big button is a switch (that can be disabled if you prefer) it is not not a dimmer.

Sometimes when the installed and configure commands execute the parent device doesn’t completely exist so it fails when it attempts to create the child devices. That seems to happen more often when devices are joined with S2 and I’m assuming that’s because the inclusion process takes longer.

The handler also creates the child devices when the updated method executes so the child devices should always get created, but if they aren’t found during inclusion they won’t get assigned a room. I don’t think the handler as the ability to assign a room.

I just released a new version that delays the child device creation during inclusion. It may still have that problem if the devices are found faster than expected, but I’m hoping it won’t happen as often as it does now.

3 Likes

My main button does not have tiles to assign button presses. All of the small buttons seem to be set up fine. How do I assign scene control to the main button?

Use an automation

Got it, thank you.

I know you’re all set, but the ocfDeviceType determines which icon gets displayed and which actions appear on the device details screen so it’s not possible to display the button actions on the parent device without losing the switch icon and switch actions.

I usually just go into Automations instead of using those actions anyways because it’s more flexible…

Thanks for that info. I think zooz should document this somewhere.

Also, one of my scene buttons was created but would not show up with the other buttons. I wwas able to see it in web IDE. I had to re-set the room info from smartthings ide and then it started showing up in smartthings app. I used the secure set up method.

I explained the problem in the post below, but the device would have been shown in the “no room assigned” section of the device list screen so all you had to do was open it and manually assign it to the correct room.

1 Like

Once configured using these handlers, is it ok to switch the main button back to a standard zwave switch device handler for local (instead of cloud) execution?

Yes, but if you do that you won’t be able to use the child devices my handler created for the other buttons.

2 Likes

ah, gotcha - that’s probably not the best option for this device. Thanks!

2 Likes

@TheSmartestHouse Great looking device and solves major issues, including the load bypass! This would quickly be my go to for quite a few projects. However, I am concerned about the need for a custom DTH when it comes to something like lighting. The lag from the cloud and the possibility of losing control once groovy is gone is a concern. Is there built-in SmartThings support or an edge driver in the works? Local control is really important for lighting in particular. Thanks, and the switch looks awesome.

2 Likes

There will be an edge driver for it at some point in the future.

2 Likes

I just ordered a couple, so please keep us posted!

We will make sure that the best time of integration is available for all Zooz devices as the platform transitions to lua and we’re working closely with the SmartThings team on the action plan to avoid any support outages. We’ve made it through the Classic > new app transition, we’ll make it through this as well! :wink:

6 Likes