[RELEASE] Neato (Connect) V1.2.6c (Botvac Connected Series)

Everyone has been thinking about it… Unfortunately SmartThings literally just opened the CLI custom capabilities beta (read: the stuff developers need to migrate things like this) two weeks ago and are just now able to unpack whats available and how it works.

Give them a little time and patience to figure it out.

1 Like

Yes I know. No problem for the time to wait :). My answer is about @Guy1992 write “I try to forget the new app” :blush:

He’s not wrong - until all these capabilities are available - it’s trash. I have to use both to get access to all the features in my particular installation. But, that said the CLI stuff looks promising…

2 Likes

is there anything like Core on new app ? (not WebCore)

Not exactly a fair question. WebCoRE IS the ‘anything like Core on new app’ version that works with NewApp and the spiritual successor to CoRE. I use Webcore with newApp all the time. So if you’re discounting WebCoRE - no. Otherwise, Yes, it’s WebCoRE. WebCoRE’s current publicized plan includes updating WebCoRE to use the Rules API announced at last year’s dev conference ‘sometime in the future’ - but that’s dependent on the Rules API supporting variables and a few other things that it doesn’t have yet* (I say yet, because the Rules API guys have also said those features are planned). But, at least we know it (WebCoRE) has legs. CoRE doesn’t.

If you’re looking for the thread on the changes upcoming that will support custom capabilities - go here: https://community.smartthings.com/t/custom-capability-and-cli-developer-preview

2 Likes

@Guy1992 @Alyc100

I added the official robot cleaner capabilities for testing and got them to display in the new app. It looks good. But the app/handler needs to get updated with the correct attributes for it to work https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com/docs/api-ref/capabilities.html

Hopefully someone can add this as the sunset date for the classic app seem to be getting closer. I would do it myself if I had the skills :blush:

I have some challenges setting the NavigationMode. If one of you experts can help out, it would be very appreciated. Link to webCoRE: https://community.webcore.co/t/neato-botvac-d7-connected-multiple-zones-piston/17472?u=gatthebazz

I managed to get this working somewhat. I can add it to the SmartThings app and run it manually by activating it with the button. However, I am unable to create a scene; everything works right up to the point of saving. The test completes successfully but when I try to save I get a vague “A network or server error occurred” error message.
Trying it in the classic app, I can add and save the app if I do not select my botvac. When I do I’m met with an even more ambiguous ‘Error saving page’. So I’ve just left that alone.

I have came here to download and use the app as an end user but I am a software developer incidentally so I’m prepared to dig deeper into this and learn more if anyone would be so kind to provide me some guidance or signpost me to how I can begin to debug this. (plsnobully)
I am completely green here - I only became aware that Samsung had a SmartThings API today :joy: I’d like to avoid having to spend hours learning this but I’ll look into whatever is necessary to know to get this working.

Thanks!

Well, it looks like it is official. SmartThings Classic will be going away in October.

Has SmartThings provided a way to port to the new app yet? Thanks for the hard work keeping this thing maintained. If there’s anything we can do as a community, let us know.

2 Likes

@Alyc100 any plans to port this over to Hubitat? I’d be happy to buy you a beer or two :grimacing:

Since I migrated to the new app the NEato app doesn’t control SHM anymore, guessing this is due to the SHM for the new app is different…

Tried setting up automations for “listening” to the Neatos switch and then changing mode to Armed (Home) mode doesn’t seem to work.
And I wouldn’t even know how to configure Armed when off as it’s so many variables.

I am reinstalling the smartapp and device handler (after removing device and everythinh) but I keep getting an error when entering the smartapp in the “new” app to start the configuration.

Any suggestion?

1 Like

is there any update on integration with the new app? im on the edge of getting a D7 but wondering how this now works with Smartthings now that ive been pushed over to the new app and stuck with a few basic things not working as they should, so worried about anything more complex.

Ok so - basically we’ll start with the bad.

The UI display for the vac itself will need work in newapp. Lets start with the obvious:
Classic App:

It’s one of the nicer custom UI’s

New App:

Yeah that’s not very helpful… At least there’s an on/off button? :slight_smile:

It’s going to need a lot of work with custom capabilities, Custom Presentations and Device Profiles, then building a VID and adding it to the existing DTHs. These features are in beta now, and some of the devs are having success with the simpler devices but right now it’s like working on a car while driving the same car. There’s a new standard ‘robot vaccum’ capability which may be a good starting point for the custom device code - but it will still need a lot of work no matter how you slice it.

This is NOT a simple device, so let others stumble through the easy stuff and stabilize the beta and then it should be possible to start looking at this. Note: It is ABSOLUTELY possible to add custom UI to these devices, but it will be a number of weeks before anyone can do so. There may also be a better way to integrate them with a cloud integration and that will be up to @Alyc100 or whomever takes on that work but that’s future for sure.

The Good:
The Smartapp half of the device - and the actual FUNCTIONS of the device work fine. (With some caveats - see next)

Smartapp in Classic:

Smartapp in New:

So you can connect them and make them work, you can turn them on and off in automations, you just cant open SmartThings, open the device and switch its mode from Eco to Turbo on the touch of a button. (To be quite honest I rarely do that anyway, I use the Neato App or Alexa when I manually trigger these guys)

Except one of the coolest parts of this integration - the ability to manipulate SHM. That’s broken unless you go to great feats to roll your own automations to work around it. (You can write a webcore piston to sync the old SHM security state to a set of smart switches… This is beyond the now well known SHM workaround of synchronizing the switches to the new SHM state. It seems to work but your mileage may vary) You’re better of with the expectation that it won’t work without an update to the smartapp code itself…

You can have my D6 when you pry it from my cold dead hands, or give me a D10…

Does that help?

1 Like

hi Nathan,
thanks for the great update on the state of play, really appreciated.
sounds like i will be able to achieve what im really wanting to do which is set it up with an automation to kick in when ever i decide, (taking note of the SHM limitations).
everything else for the time being would then be through the neato app itself, which is no biggie.
love the advocation for the D6, but yeah D10 looks a beauty. not that any of them are particularly easy to get hold of in the uk other than amazon.

Thanks for the updates, I really appreciate your work, even though I have a big problem with my Neato lately. It only works with the official app or by pressing the start button twice from the robot. If I press once, the blue light of the wifi lights up, it makes a noise, but then nothing happens and it stays still. Same thing if I start it with Alexa, with Google Asistant, or with the SmartThings button thanks to this SmartApp. The smartApp is definitely not the problem, but I still wanted to ask if anyone has any advice

Which bot do you have and have you performed any firmware updates?

I have a robot D5 with software 4.5.3-189 I have not notification for new firmware.

I thought I had a problem with my D5, I contacted support, it seemed not to go with google home nor with alexa nor with Smartthings … in reality only with smartthings it doesn’t work, so I think my problem is related to smartapp. If I turn on with the virtual key, or through the scheduling, the robot makes a noise, but does not start. what could be the problem?

Update 11.09.2020 : the old method always works: deleted the smartapp, deleted the DeviceHandler, and reinstalled everything now works. The oddities of computer science :slight_smile:

Hi.

I own a D3 and i’m very pleased with the features, coming from Roomba. I have a webcore piston that starts the D3 when the mode goes to Away for more than 30 minutes and dock when mode set to Home if the cleaning is not completed.

Running into 2 small issues:

1- The D3 starts with the no go lines disabled. A bummer as it usually get stuck under the bed.
2- It won’t dock when returning. I can see the command to dock being sent by the piston, the D3 doesn’t listen tho.

I apologies I this shoud be posted on the Webcore forum; I thought I’d tried my luck here.

Cheers.