RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

It is a cheap way to do things but I have given up on doing things with it since it keeps dropping connection with my wifi and like @jayelarex wrote it does cut off the message.

I had one but it went back to Amazon because it clipped off the end of everything I tried to play through it.

Using it to play music from phone or computer was good but was inconsistent with being able to connect to it all the time every day.

Now I am leaning toward a simple USB sound card plugged into the PC and and dedicated to a Linux VM with a renderer perhaps Kobi running on it. Kobi + DLNA Speaker worked very well with Windows but I donā€™t want it taking over the audio on my desktop screen full time.

Now I am leaning toward a simple USB sound card plugged into the PC and allocated to a Linux VM with a render

Do you know of a decent lightweight linux rendered? I have been looking around for one since I have old Asus eeePC just sitting around that I was look to re-purpose.

Try this. People on here have it working with Rasberry Pi

@faspina I had the same concern but switching from Kobi to foobar got me going without having to run another system since foobar can direct audio to any source that your PC can use, even if itā€™s not the active source. This allowed me to direct ST alerts to my Echo via BT without changing anything about how my PC sends audio normally.

Hi, you can send audio even to airplay devices from foobar2000

the problem with foobar2000 and others dlna software is they change parameters each time they are restarted, the DLNA connect app search new changes every 3 minutes.

If you turn off your computer or the program is relaunched, smartthings will not find the device, ā€œNo presentā€, in maximum 3 minutes the connect app find and update the device parameters. Smartthings do not have access to dlna player until 3 minutes maximum.

I have a media server all time turned on , I have foobar2000 working all time and I have not problems, its very stable

I gave up on the linux VM solution and just ordered a d-link audio extender, it acts as a wifi extender which I need anyway. Plus I can use my an existing speaker I have with a 1/4 cable.

Hello, first off love the app. I recently purchased a StriimLight from AwoX as it is in the ā€œconfirmed workingā€ list. That said, it plays the messages from ST just fine, however it repeats every phrase or sound over and over until I press stop in ST or in the AwoX Stream Control app.

Does anyone else have a StriimLight working properly, or are there any tweaks I can do to the DLNA app in ST to send a stop command, etc.

You may need to go into the Stream Control app and turn off repeat. If I remember correctly, this doesnā€™t show in the iOS app, but it does show in the Mac app. Not sure about others.

Hi, @JakeH, The repeat problem generally is by repeat mode in MR device. you can use any control point to disable the repeat mode, check the first post in control point section.
In post Working Speakers (44 Devices Confirmed , 29 waiting Confirmation) last addition: Klipsch Stadium, Help Us to increase the list you can find a list of working devices reported, and the user who has verify the device,
@obycode has reported the AwoX StriimLIGHT Sl-w10 device

I checked on iOS, Android and windows. They all show that repeat is turned off. Not sure if itā€™s malfunctioning or whatā€™s up. Iā€™ll keep playing with it.

@ule - Thanks for the quick reply. Iā€™ve got the same device and it does work, except for the repeat. Iā€™ve checked the control software on multiple devices and it shows repeat is off, and toggling it on and off has no effect.

Hi @JakeH , Try to play a song with control point, check if the song repeat over and over.
You can try to increase the timers gap in preference device in smartthig app

@JakeH Did you ever get the Striim working without the repeat issue?

Hoe did you get it to find ubi, ive been trying for hours lol

@AutomateEverything,

See post for the Ubi .

Also see this post for using up for announcing switch events, thermostat events and several other cool things.

Itā€™s been a while since I used it, but I believe there is a basic DLNA app on the ubi.

For speech, I acutally used an Ubi rule tied to an HTTP request with a real basic ubi speech device type that was trimmed down from what @DarcRanger posted below. This worked well, as long as the ubi was actually connected. Mine often got disconnected