RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)

HI @roger_caldwell, could you send the information found in upnp tool, its necesary the speaker are mediarenderers, please send all information. thanks

@ule @smorty71 good moorning

i have an ONKYO 414 (dlna enabled etc) ive connected all the smartapp and device type and all seems well and good :slight_smile: i can change the volume on my receiver using smartthings in the smartapp tile view, however when i set up any kind of alert using the sonos style smartapps and selecting my dlna speakers, for example (make a bark noise when switch is turned on) or ( read message"WELCOME HOME" when door opens) it doesnt seem to push the sounds/message through the ONKYO 414 receiver . . .

so i know from the volume changing its connecting and working fine in that sense, but i cant seem to push the audio through . . .

any ideas ?

cheers kyle

and as if by magic the sounds aspect (dog bark or doorbell sound) starts to work perfectly hahahaha however custom messages arnt pushing through still :confused: any ideas

Mine says “Failed to save MainPage”

I have an iOS device.

Thanks, Brandon

Okay so after a little more playing about ive managed to properly identify my problems . . .

ive got this connected to the following 3 devices:
- Onkyo TX-NR414
- Samsung UE40F5300
- Samsung PS60F5500

All 3 device connect with no issues, and when sounds or messages are sent to them with the instruction to also change volume . . . all 3 change the volume correctly !!!

HOWEVERRRRRRRRRR :slight_smile:

The only one that will play actual sounds is the ONKYO 414 RECEIVER (which even then will only play the pre selected sound options . … it will not render the custom message bits and kicks up the below errors)

and as for the two televisions, neither will render the pre-arranged sounds or the custom messages and instead show up with error message (on screen) stating " the selected file is not currently supported "and then the tv switches back to the normal tv mode that was playing before dlna took over. . .

i downloaded AUDIOREMOTE for IOS to see what was going on whilst the tracks were supposed to be playing on each device and also got the following errors:

in BROWSE UPNP this is what shows up for each device though:

any ideas on how i can fix this or what may be up or if i need to change anything ?

cheers

kyle

I fired up an old droid phone and installed AirPin Pro as a media renderer, which had good reviews, but the ST app will not find it. I rebooted the hub, rebooted the phone, but no luck. I can’t even find my TV, which the other apps find as well

UPnP tool finds it as does the dev tool Device Spy.

Base URL http://192.168.1.88:49152/
Device icon Present, 128x128
Device URN urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaRenderer:1
Embedded devices 0
Expiration timeout 80
Friendly name ITV@88
Has presentation True
Interface to host 192.168.1.76
Manufacturer WaxRain
Manufacturer URL http://www.waxrain.com
Model description WaxRainPlayer
Model name WaxRainPlayer
Model number
Model URL http://www.waxrain.com/
Presentation URL http://192.168.1.88:49152/renderpres.html
Product code
Proprietary type
Remote endpoint 192.168.1.88:49152
Serial number
Services 3
Standard type MediaRenderer
Unique device name 898f9738-d930-4db4-a3cf-984b4a6c3d20
Version 1.0

And all I get in the live log is this repeatedly
Executing lan discovery urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaRenderer:1 on Home via sendHubCommand

Hi @kyle, Theere are 2 versions of mediarenderes, v1 and v1.5 , the v1 do not accept containers, the v1.5 does, the app audioremote app use containers and yours 2 speakers do not support containers(v1), try the Denon remote app or the Technics Music app, in the first post there are more information about Control Points and theirs capabilities.

1 Like

Hi @kevintierney, some software media renderers do not show all parameters information in discovery process, other software MRs change theirs parameters each time the program is launched, I have change the discovery process to allow more software MRs and automatic rediscovery each 3 min if they are relaunched (and parameters changed ), I will publish this week.

what is the best way to push content to these devices then do you reckon ?

cheers kyle

Hi @AutomateEverything, Yours speakers can play from several control points, I have tested some free control points who works fine with smarthings (play message and continue music) , please read the firs post in control point section.

ive read the post several times and downloaded every app mentioned . . . it still wont load custom messages to any device no matter what i try . . . there is a large assumption in post 1 that everyone will know what the apps are used for and the way to set this all up outside of smart-things, but im clueless and tried everything, hence why i seeked help . . . ive installed both denon and technics apps . . . i can play music from them apps into any of the speakers i want easy peasey . . . works perfect . . . but still cant work out how to get smartthinsg to say custom messages when something happens or more to the point how the apps help it do that . . .

@ule Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for it

Have you had any luck pairing a DLNA media device with the app. Mine says Failed to Save MainPage. I have an iOS device.

Thanks, Brandon

Hi @brandonw1041, Failed to save MainPage is a problem from smartthings servers, no the app, unless the device type was not installed correctly, just verify the smart app and device type are installed correctly, and try again, if the problem persist, check the log page in IDE and send us the information.

It paired and but it rarely announces commands that I have it set to.
E.x When front door opens it should announce Front Door Open but it rarely does.

Any help?

@ule: I’ve got a device installed via the connect app, and I’m trying to get it to talk via a simple SmartApp using speak()

If the string specified in speak() is only one word (“testing”), it works just fine. If I try to use a multiple word phrase ("testing testing testing), I get three of the following in the logs for the device:

java.lang.reflect.UndeclaredThrowableException @ line 565

Any idea what would cause that?

Hi @btk,I need to see the code, but if you are writing (“testing testing testing) without the last quot (”) you going to rise errors

No, that’s just an unfortunate typo. =) Here’s the code:

https://gist.github.com/bkeifer/3477906686c44f92f60d

About to pull the trigger on a Sabrent seem like a cheap way to hook up some old speakers to Smartthings and play notification. Anyone had any luck with this. Does it work?

I have the same model plugged in via USB to a wall outlet and the stereo out to speakers and a sub. It does work for notifications but the minor downside is that in some cases the last part or word of the message gets cut off. You can read @ule suggestion here: RELEASE Generic Media Renderer (DLNA Speakers). Cheap Sonos Alternative (Update V2)