[RELEASE CANDIDATE] CoRE (Community's own Rule Engine)

Hello, all - I’m away from the house and noticed that ALL of my CoRE pistons are cycling through recovery… execute… then refresh. They’ve done this three times already today. I’m not home to physically unplug the hub to reboot to see if that’s what may be causing the problem. Pistons are also running in modes in which they’re not supposed to be executing

Does anyone know why this might be happening? I’m about to pause all of my pistons to try to stop my house from being possessed until I can get home to perform an exorcism.

From the IDE you can reboot the hub.Click My Hubs, View Utilities, then Reboot Hub.

Thank you. Wondering what might have happened.

That’s probably just the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Recovery schemes that Adrian incorporated into CoRE. Mine does the Stage1 recovery every three hours (can’t remember the default). You can set the period or disable it in the CoRE settings.

1 Like

I’ll check, but the pistons firing when they’re not supposed to concerns me…

THAT may be related to the current problem that ST is having with their “scheduler cluster”. You can read about it over here:

Of course, it may also be related to the numerous other current ST problems — hard to tell with this platform :grimacing:

1 Like

I have one piston that used “mode is one of x,y,z” that never worked quite right. With that condition no longer available, I’ve changed it to a group of “mode is x” OR “mode is y”, etc. Hoping that works better.

@ady624 Was there a problem that caused you to remove “is one of” ?

This feature is suddenly back! Thanks! Glad I noticed it because I was just about to start remaking some pistons to work around!

Edit - maybe I spoke too soon - It is there sometimes, but not others. I’m not certain why.

More - Editing - Ok - rebuilt the same exact piston and I’m able to choose Mode condition comparison to be “is one of” or “is not one of” no problem. I think something got corrupted in that piston. I still have the old and those options are not there in the old piston, but are there plain as day in the new mirror image piston. @michaelahess @CAL7 - Might want to try rebuilding your piston from scratch and seeing if it works for you.

1 Like

Using the @ symbol did the trick. Thanks!

Amazing smartapp! This will surely makes Smartthings automation easier for non-developers.
However, I am having an issue when creating a simple piston for turning on RGB lights when the door opens…when pressing DONE the message "An unexpected error occurred"appears in a red box. Is there a way to report issues at this moment?

I have not (at least knowingly) removed the “one of” feature. Will look into it, for now I am resting, as I just finished installing my gardenspot minis. 6x9 lights :wink:

1 Like

If I create a new piston there is no issue. But there might be an issue with legacy pistons. #betalife

Hi - presume you are on Android ? If so this is a enjoyable feature of that system. You’ll find it happens in lots of places. When you encounter it, try clicking on another field to make sure that your entry on one specific field has been saved (turns blue on my phone). Search the earlier blogs on CoRE threads and you’ll find lots of references. All still works but just check when you exit a screen that the data has been successfully saved at the next menu level.
Enjoy - CoRE is a triumph and an amazing achievement from Ady plus supporting cast.

If you are experiencing issues running CoRE at this time, please update to

v0.3.15f.20161004 - RC - Code trim down to avoid “Class file too large!” error in JVM

and let me know if that works.

Background: The source code you see when you update the app gets compiled into “machine code”. It seems that JAVA has a limit of 65536 bytes (64kBytes) per compiled class code. The class in question is the smart app. However, the size is shared between the base class that ST has modified to provide customized functions to developers and the code the developer writes - CoRE in this instance. SmartThings has added some additional methods to the base class today around 3:30pm causing the total class size to exceed 65536 bytes and CoRE to stop working. I have removed some non-essential methods from CoRE to trim it down to account for the extra code that ST has introduced. Will continue to trim down CoRE in the following days, and may need to split it into parent/child again. This is also a requirement of the publishing process.

Please update and report back, sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you

5 Likes

Thanks! I was just panicking again as we don’t have Piston backups (except hardcopy). I have access again. :slight_smile:

1 Like

New code worked for me. I have access and psitons are running. Thanks

1 Like

Worked!!! Was getting nervious, but then again a patch in no time

Thanks!!!

1 Like

@ady624 - Something is up with my install of CoRE and the routine list.

I am on the latest version, updated 5 minutes ago.

No routines to select, I have many routines. I tried multiple pistons.

Tap Done in the main CoRE app and open it again?

1 Like

It’s back, thanks.

1 Like