[RELEASE] Amcrest IPM-721 & IP2M-841 LIVE Video/PTZ/Night Vision/Motion/Video Record/+More IP Camera DTH

From what I can tell they should. You could email Amcrest technical support to confirm, if you are on the fence about buying one of them. As long as they confirm that they use the same API as the IPM-721/IP2M-841, you should be good.

Is there anyway to give control of the camera motion control as a switch? That would make it a lot easier to incorporate into routines and such without having to mess around with Rule Machine and potentially having it fail. Not sure if Rboy does this on his Foscam DT with the device type or accompanying smartapp.

The simple answer is “yes”.

See post 12 on this thread. I gave a step-by-step example using Rule Machine.

Yeah, I can make it work with Rule Machine, though I’d prefer if it was instead a simulated switch which I could directly trigger from a routine, rather than relying on rule machine (which can sometimes fail due to ST platform issues).

I understand. Without it being “standard” code, I am not sure how I could even attempt what you are asking for. It would be akin to my trying to install 2 devices for 1 DTH.

This is one of the reasons RM is so powerful.

A second solution would be to handle this in a SmartApp, which could do what your are asking.

If you give your camera “Capability “switch”” and then assign the motion detection on/off button to device.switch it should be available as a normal switch to all smartapps and routines. This is how I handle it on all of my D-Link devices for this exact reason (initially created it before rule machine existed)

Hi Ben,

I already have the capability defined. The problem is that there are several pieces of functionality that may be turned on/off such that I would end up with 4 or 5 device.switch cases, so I just made them all custom commands.

Do you have more than 1 piece of capability controlled by device.switch?

That capability defaults to whatever function is mapped to “device.switch”, all of my other functions have their own switch, defined as device.switch2, device.switch3, etc…

Agreed. My point is (and please clarify if I am not understanding this properly) that the capability “switch” would only give access to your first “device.switch” item. Your “device.switch2”, “device.switch3”, etc… would all require the same kind of RM approach I outlined in #12… correct?

That is correct, though I don’t actually use those switches externally (other than the default switch) because I’ve exposed the actual commands directly.

This might be a silly question but would this work on the SmartThings hub v1? Or is the v2 necessary?

Using actuator to allow those custom commands to be available in RM, correct? This is what I did.

My issue here is that you pick 1 that can be controlled with On/Off, but all of the others need the RM approach. So rather than picking 1, I left it at ALL being an exposed custom command.

If the users of this DTH all want the motion sensor to be the one command that can be exposed as a switch, I will happily make that change for them.

Yeah, that’s correct. I just decided to make motion the default because that’s how I wanted to use it personally, it’s worked out well for me so far.

1 Like

I have the v2 hub so I can not test this but it is my understanding that the v1 hub did not support cameras. If I am wrong, someone please chime in. :slight_smile:

It doesn’t touch the hub at all, the v1 hub should be able to stream just fine. Because we aren’t using the video core to process the video (and thus, cannot record to the ST cloud), this capability isn’t limited to v2.

Thanks for clarifying Ben. :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot David for this Device Handler. It works well. I have not tried RTSP streaming yet. Can you have RTSP port configurable? I have multiple Amcrest cameras so I need to change the port numbers for outside access.

I am glad you are enjoying it.

I am in the midst of rewriting the DTH to support an upcoming camera manager SmartApp (parent/child relationship) that I am writing. The new handler will include the ability to specify a port for video streaming, separate from the camera contro/image capturel. I will not be able to get back to the coding of the SmartApp for a week or so, but this feature will definitely be there when it is released.

I have this observation. Every time I use Smarthings to do live streaming from the camera, it changes the video setting of the camera main stream to MJPEG with lower resolution. Can the Smarthings streams from the Sub stream? I want to keep the Main stream to high resolution with H.264H encoding. I changed the camChannel in ST Device to 1. It still streams from Main stream.

1 Like

Yes, this can be changed and is also an option for the pending SA. The real issue is that the old DTH did not separate the channels. It will be fixed in the new version.