[RELEASE] Alexa Helper

Thanks. Looks like I got it working. I clicked the raw button on your github site and copied that way. I hadn’t done that before so I may have messed something up in my copy/paste.

No worries…glad it is working…

I would start with this: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper#Advanced_Installation which references the SmartThings instructions here: http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/tools-and-ide/github-integration.html?highlight=git

Let me know if that works.

Yea, that’s were I picked up the tip on the raw mode. I didn’t see that site initially. It’s a fantastic write-up! You definitely went above and beyond.

I was interviewing at Amazon so I wanted to show them what I could do…fortunately (or not) I didn’t get the job…it would have been a heck of a commute and no more work on Alexa Helper…

Updated the Apps (Parent/Child/Cloud Interface) to new versions today. Not much of a change except to start ‘cleaning up’ some minor inconsistencies, and complying with the new IOS/Android mobile apps standards. The major change in the Alexa Helper app itself is the addition of a timer for the voice reporting. Basically, like the delay in the control app, the system will delay the activation of the report after triggering by the amount you specify. This is good if you have a lot of switches and need them all to turn off before reporting on the house status (as was my use case). A small work around was also implemented for those with media renderer speakers that don’t allow for other applications to poll their current settings. This is an ‘edge case’, but thought it would be nice to include it.

The other thing you will notice is the addition of icons on the application main menus. I recently saw this on the Nest Manager app and liked the overall ‘professional’ look of adding these icons. Having done graphic design in the past I like how color can add to the overall approach-ability of an application. If you all like these I will expand them out to other areas of the app (without making it gaudy…hopefully).

As always, let me know if you have any issues…and, if anyone is interested in donating a few bucks should you find this useful, I have no issue with that as well. You can donate here: http://michaelstruck.github.io/SmartThings

Instructions that include these new features are included here: http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Alexa_Helper

Enjoy!

People are reporting not being able to create new child app. Would you check and see if that’s happening to Alexa Helper?

On the initial installation I have seen that…When you first install the app I have people immediately press Done to save the parent, then go into the app to install a child.

Not that. See if you can create a new child in your own.

Hmmmm…Yep…crashes the whole SmartThings mobile app when I attempt to add…Editing a child works fine.

Please report this to support! It’s our only hope.

Agreed…opening a ticket now.

I’m in the same boat: smartthings Android app crashes out when I try to create a child. Should I also submit a ticket? What’s the likely problem?

The original problem mentioned above appears to be fixed. Are you trying a first time installation or already have the Smartapp installed?

It does seem to have been resolved as of this morning.

Michael, I cannot remove the app to save my life. I did the install, but ran into a couple of weird issues so thought I would go ahead and uninstall. However, when I go into my ‘Night Mode’ scenario, click remove, and then “Yes Im sure”, the mode does not get removed. My logs show the following when I try to remove

70edd065-8368-4afe-b2c5-b091507c271e 3:53:16 PM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=0
70edd065-8368-4afe-b2c5-b091507c271e 3:53:16 PM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=0
70edd065-8368-4afe-b2c5-b091507c271e 3:52:44 PM: debug getChildDevices(false), children=0

Do you have any ideas what I can do?

Looks like you have your child switch associated with more than one scenario or app. I recommend going into your device list on your app, find the switches you created, then click the SmartApps link to see what they are associated with. Remove those associations and the app should uninstall.

I started getting null pointer exceptions. I ended up contacting smart things support and they said the only way to fix it was for them to remove it on their end, which they did

Oh…wow…that is something different. Sorry for the difficulty, but glad they were able to help.

NP, going to try again. While I have your ear, have you seen the following when trying to add your repo in the smartthings api via github?

Error
500: Internal Server Error
URI
/ide/app/doRepoUpdates
Reference Id
f12a777a-64a4-48eb-9439-3511fd8660f9
Date
Fri Apr 01 20:48:06 UTC 2016