Relay Output to Datalogger

(Vinnie Berardi) #1

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie to this forum and to IoT in general, but I’m hoping to get some help with a question I have. I recently bought a United Security WiFi mat. , and an associated Invonics EN4216MR receiver. The receiver has 6 Form-C relays on it, one of which comes programmed to open (or close) whenever the mat sends a signal. They can be seen along the outside of the board in this picture:

I’m looking for a way to log the activity of this relay. Basically, I’d like to record when the relay is open and when it is closed. Is anyone aware of a device that will allow me to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

(Eric) #2

these are good enough for me, “Aeotec by Aeon Labs ZW097 Dry Contact Sensor, Small, White”

I’d like to try a Zigbee equivalent but haven’t seen one in casual search.

battery life has been better than a year for appx 2000-4000 open+close events. Somewhere in the reporting chain from device to hub to internet to ST to stream-collector, I typically lose 1 open OR close in about 50 events. So the device itself may be perfect, or not.

Why would you not just read the mat directly with the requested wireless transmitter.

(Vinnie Berardi) #3

Thanks for the reply Eric. Your suggestion looks useful and put me on the right track, although it’s not exactly what I’m looking for. I’m more interested in logging the activity of the relay on the receiver to keep a track of events for data analysis purposes. I don’t really have a need to communicate the state of the receiver to other devices at this point. Do you think something similar to this would do the trick?

(Eric) #4

sure, standalone datalogger should be reliable, SD card looks easy to use.

My question/suggestion is to eliminate the Invonics receiver and log the mat contacts directly to the suggested Zwave dry contact sensor, to forward to some stream processor like Grovestreams, and avoid any the additional equipment. Grovestreams has very flexible reporting of whatever details you are looking for.

If you already have a bunch of built-in-wireless mats to monitor then I guess Invonics is the way to go. I just assumed that dry-contact mats are available and cheaper than wireless mats.