Recently paralysed so installing some smart home, need help though please (UK)

Unfortunately you are in a lose lose situation here. 1st you have 16mm back boxes installed (dont even understand why people still install these) so you have 0 chance of being able to install a smart modular switch as you need 35 minimum, ideally 47mm. you then also don’t have a neutral down to the switch so this limits your options even further :frowning:

It may cost more depending on how many bulbs there are, but if you use Hue bulbs you should be able to use their new partner switches which are coming out at the end of this year. ( they should also work with the less expensive IKEA Tradfri models as long as those lamps are connected to the hue bridge.)

These look just like regular switches but don’t require batteries as they harvest a tiny bit of energy when someone presses on them. They do physically require a hard press, But I understand that in your case that’s not an issue, and it’s not so difficult that people will complain about them.

Philip has announced these in both US and UK styles ( different partner companies) for release by the end of the year. They are going to work for a lot of people, I think.

If use them with smartthings, you won’t have control of the switches, but it won’t matter, because you’ll have control of the bulbs. The switches just become an alternate means of control. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thanks again for the reply,

So it looks like my only way is the hue bulbs, it’s just a bugger as there’s so many bulbs in each room and there not cheap! I could then just use a normal hue dimmer with this adaption I used on the others

The only question I want to double check is that the hue bulbs will work with my existing sockets as they are the MR16 apparently throug transformers and the kitchen are GU10

Thanks for the help so far

You can still install a module behind those switches. The Fibaro Dimmer 2 works without a neutral, so your wiring is OK. You woulds need a spacer for the switch to create the room for the module. Like I said, Schneider make one that looks OK and you can stack them if you need to. Not ideal I agree, but it does give you an option that allows you to automate your current lighting and will allow light control even when ST cloud is unavailable.

1 Like

this is true and so does the nano aeotec but you need to make sure the lamp’s he has are compatible and are a high enough wattage if there is no neutral. If its not you will then need a bypass.

1 Like

Where is the best place to get the modules?

Thanks again people, I’m loving these smart home things though, just the lights so far are making my life so much easier

Vesternet is always good and will typically offer a volume discount if you get in touch with them if you need five or more.

@anon36505037 May have other suggestions.

It’s always good to shop around. Amazon does have a good selection, but they don’t always have the best price.

You can check the list of sources in the deals section of this forum, both
US and U.K. Sellers are included:

A better option for you in ref to the modules is to install them in/ above the lights. This way you just change your switch to a push to make or centre off retractable switch and the modules will then have a neutral :slight_smile:

So I’ve been and brought SmartThings tonight and just now adding everything on, I’m just waiting for the z-wave modules to arrive tomorrow for my Yale Conexis Lock’s.

I was just wondering if I can ad my Samsung tv to it as well? It said to sign in to Samsung online on my tv and it should show up, however I can’t find my tv on there.

It’s a ue55hu8500txxu curved TV and I think from 2016 maybe. Do I start a new thread for this?

My understanding is that if your television doesn’t show up in the model list in the “SmartThings (Samsung Connect) app,” it’s not compatible. But you might check with support. make sure you check with UK support, as I believe the supported models do vary by region.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-gb/articles/210766566-Samsung-TV-as-a-Thing

Thanks mate I will take a look

1 Like

Hi Mate,

Me again,

So I’m still setting this all up and added a eco dot to my bedroom last night as we got one free, it’s actusllg quite a good thing, I love how you can set the voice commands and then reactions in terms of what it does, it’s quite a simple layout.

I’m struggling a little with the smart things and getting it to do the automation I want, am I best just linking it to the eco and programming the voice commands that way?

On setting up Alexa I installed my skills for the Hue, SmartThings and sonos, however it’s shoeing up each room or bulb about 3 times along with my sonos speakers, why is this?

I only want to set a few simple rules, the goodnight one works well, but it would be nice if I could get it to lock my doors, turn off everything except one light, but then do the hue sleep setting where that light gradually fades out over 15 mins, is that possibly without using the app and only voice control?

I was hoping to set a command like put the kids to bed so it then dimmed there lights and faded them out over 20 mins and then turned there rooms off?

I’m just not sure how to get it all talking to each other right, but I think Alexa is so much better for voice control over Siri

If you think I should start a new thread just let me know, thanks for all your help

I like Alexa better than Siri also, that’s why I choose devices that can work with both. :sunglasses:

I personally always use the native Alexa integration with a third-party device unless there’s some reason why have to go through SmartThings. So the hue bridge, harmony, WeMo, etc are use with their own echo integrations. Not through SmartThings. SmartThings gives you an option to individually authorize devices for use with echo. That just means for use with the smartthings/Echo integration. So what I do is just not authorize anything that has its own independent echo integration. It will still work fine with its own integration, but it gets rid of the duplicate listings. :sunglasses:

Are the lights in the Kids rooms Hue bulbs on a Hue Bridge?

You can create a scene in the hue app and then you can discover devices from the echo and after that you can use voice to initiate that scene.

Even better, you can create An Alexa routine (Not a smartthings routine) that includes more than one hue scene, and then execute all of them at once with one voice command.

See the following thread:

And then you can go one step further: for anything which echo cannot do by itself, you can create a virtual switch in SmartThings, And then when echo turns on that virtual switch (either directly or with an echo routine), you can have smartthings respond to that switch coming on. So that’s how you could add a whole bunch of activities to your good night routine.

So you can end up with one single voice statement to Alexa, like “Alexa, bedtime” and use an echo routine to have several hue scenes start and several other things happen in SmartThings. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Right I’m going to have to read this a few times to understand it ha,

But the kids bulbs are hue bulbs in each room

Also how do I deactivate the items in smartthings to not show in Alexa and create duplicates?

Do I deauthorise them on the Alexa app or smart things?

In Alexa I can click on them and click the enable switch and then delete them, but once I discover devices they all pop back up

Just found it in the smartthings app!

1 Like

Hi bud,

Me again,

So I’m slowly getting the house set up how I like now and it’s all working well with Alexa.

I’m just trying to get an automation to work…

What I would like to happen is when nobody is at home, I would like to get a light to turn on in one room for the dogs so they are not in total darkness. I know I could just set it to come on at a certain time, but it might get annoying if I’m at home.

What’s the best way to set this up?

Are you using “home” and “away” mode now? If so, the easiest thing is just to combine time of day and mode.

Also, sorry, I forgot: which version of the SmartThings app are you using?