Question on SmartApps

Hey Guys,

I am looking for some help on a couple things that I haven’t been able to figure out completely yet.

I have a garage door opener setup to open people arrive and unlocks the garage door. Is there a way to have it close then after a certain timeout? Currently I have to close it manually. It also closes when we leave the house. So I must be missing something.

Also Is there a way to get the controller in the dashboard so you don’t have to go into things every time you wanna open it when someone visits?

Thanks guys,

Tony

You can certainly do this with a little coding in the IDE - have you done that yet? Look at the app you set up to open the garage door. You could simply add a runIn() line to issue the close command after some delay.

I have logged into the IDE but I really don’t know what I’m doing. Is there some sort of a guide or instructions to learn how to do things?

@lostb0y,

Do you have an open/close sensor on the door leading into your house? I’m using a modified version of the Ridiculously Automatic Garage door opener. It lets you specify an open/close sensor on your door. When the program opens a garage door due to arrival, it’ll watch that door for the next 10 minutes or so. If it sees the door open then close, it shuts the garage door.

As for opening… you might look at using a double tap app. I have this setup on a couple of my switches. If I double click a specific light switch it will trigger the garage door relay. However, this is a temperamental setup… I get decent reliability with it, but many people struggle to get the double tap to work right.

For whatever reason, when I select the door sensor on the door that leads to the garage when its opened and closed it will close the garage door then open it up a foot or so. Not sure why.