Question about Parent / Child Apps

Still works fine for me.

It will appear to work fine if you installed the first child app before the App upgrade. If you completely remove the smartApp and install again, then you should see the problem described above.

Remember that the issue only occurs while initializing the very first instance of a child app.

No. I just installed one and it worked fine.

Reallyā€¦great news because Iā€™ve been looking for a hybrid smartApp with code that works and all the ones Iā€™ve tried failed.
What version of the IOS Smartthings app are you running and what smartApp are you using?

It worked on yesterdayā€™s version and still works on the update released today.

What smartApp are you referencing? I would love to look at the code to see whatā€™s different.

A bunch of my own. Iā€™ll snag part and post once I get home.

Greatā€¦thanks

Thank you for you replay really appreciate.

I donā€™t believe they will fix it any time soon. Since there is a workaround like you have mentioned.

If I switch between two apps when the spinning wheel is happening it works as well. Just figure that out.

If you can make it work would be really good. I have been fighting with that for a day already. I still believe itā€™s a bug. Can you double check if you are not launching an app that is already installed?

After I run the app first time and do the trick switching between two apps it works and after that I can open it and it will keep working.

1 Like

Yepā€¦no fix is comingā€¦thatā€™s why I moved over to the ā€œofficialā€ way and split my app in 2. Better to do it now before we see even more errors.

Iā€™m hoping that @bago has something different in his coding that will work but still have my doubts.

definition(
name: ā€œ${appName()}ā€,
namespace: ā€œjohnlcoxā€,
author: ā€œjohn.l.cox@live.comā€,
description: ā€œSends a message with presence detection to indicate that laundry is done.ā€,
singleInstance: false,
category: ā€œConvenienceā€,
iconUrl: ā€œhttps://graph.api.smartthings.com/api/devices/icons/st.samsung.da.dryer_ic_dryerā€,
iconX2Url: ā€œhttps://graph.api.smartthings.com/api/devices/icons/st.samsung.da.dryer_ic_dryer?displaySize=2xā€
)

preferences {
page(name: ā€œstartPageā€)
page(name: ā€œparentPageā€)
page(name: ā€œchildStartPageā€)
page(name: ā€œpageSwitchā€)
page(name: ā€œpageNotificationsā€)
page(name: ā€œpageApplianceā€)
page(name: ā€œpageLightsā€)
page(name: ā€œpageNameā€)
}

def startPage() {
if (parent) {
childStartPage()
} else {
parentPage()
}
}

def parentPage() {
return dynamicPage(name: ā€œparentPageā€, title: ā€œā€, nextPage: ā€œā€, install: true, uninstall: true) {
section(ā€œCreate a laundry monitor.ā€) {
app(name: ā€œchildAppsā€, appName: appName(), namespace: ā€œjohnlcoxā€, title: ā€œNew laundry monitorā€, multiple: true)
}

section() {
  	href "pageSwitch", title: "Message Switch", description:getDesc(messages, "", "", ""), state: (messages ? "complete" : null)//,image: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThingsPublic/master/img/power.png"
  	href "pageNotifications", title: "Notification", description:getDesc(person1, phone1, "", ""), state: (person1 || phone1 ? "complete" : null)//,image: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichaelStruck/SmartThingsPublic/master/img/power.png"
  }

section("Statistics") {
    	paragraph "There are ${childApps.size()} monitors(s) configured."
    }

section([mobileOnly:true]) {
        label title: "Assign a name", required: false
        //mode title: "Set for specific mode(s)", required: false
    }

section() {
        paragraph "Smart Laundry\n" + 
            "${version()}\n${copyright()}"
    }

}

}

Funny!!! Have you rebooted???

@bago the only difference between your code and mine (and every other hybrid smartApp Iā€™ve tested) is in line 2 where you have

definition(
name: ā€œ${appName()}ā€,

Iā€™ve adjusted my smartApp and the spinning wheel still occurs. Are you SURE that you have deleted the smartApp ENTIRELY and readded. If there is something else that makes your code different, please enlighten us or post your entire smartApp code.

Otherwise, you would appear to be the anomaly, because I know of no one else that does not have this issue with the exact same code structure.

First and foremost, this is like me asking you if itā€™s plugged in or turned on. Is it???

Like you newbies, I did run into a similar issue a while back. I played with the code and it started working. I wish I could remember what fixed it. At the time, I assumed it was me. Iā€™ve created a few over the last month. They all work.

So what I tried yesterday (before replying in the first place) was copying the code and renaming the app. Then I installed it. It worked. No spinning wheel.

Not sure what your problem is, but mine works. Good luck.

Wow. Well thanks for all your ā€œhelpā€. Victor posted asking for assistance with a particular problem. You keep posting that you have it working fine and refuse to provide details as to how.
Why did you respond in the first place?

Iā€™m asking myself the same question. I wish I hadnā€™t.

As someone offering to help, you feel like asking questions that are insulting. There are people on this forum that do have the knowledge to answer your question. I would not have responded in the first place if it was not working for me. When I originally stated that mine was working, then you responded (this made me question regarding a new app), so this forced me to double check.

I honestly wish I could remember the issue. I struggled for hours and then finally it started working. Iā€™ve reused the code and I havenā€™t run into the issue since.

Reread all the posts above. You never answered the simple question as to whether you completely removed and reinstalled to test. As this is crucial to determining that you have a solution, we both felt a need to ask for confirmation.

Iā€™m sorry that you felt insulted by or need for clarification but your brief responses only served to increase our curiosity rather than assist with a solution.

@VictorWelasco, sorry for side tracking this conversation with a needless back and forth. If I come across anything that can help I will post it here and tag you. Till then, I recommend you split your app or settle for the workaround.

Long story short. 1) I installed a second instance of one that I have - works fine. 2) I copied and rename the app and installed - works fine. In both cases, these were new installs.