Push Notifications for Schlage Lock Not Working (April 2019)

I do have the monoprice z wave repeater recommended by rboys. I have also gone through the process of unpairing the device, rebooting the hub, and repairing the device…multiple times. The notifications that aren’t received are always the ones stating who (which code) opened the door. The open/close sensor sends me notifications, but I need to know who actually opens the door…guest, cleaner, etc. Schlage states that their lock works well with smartthings, but they don’t troubleshoot the rboys app. It does seem that there is a problem with the pairing, but none of the solutions offered have solved the problem.

1 Like

Did this work for you? I have tried multiple times and still can’t get this one lock to work. If someone is able to successfully accomplish the pairing it would be reassuring.

We have a bunch of FE599’s here and there are thousands of folks using them, so the lock per se works and sends the user notifications, but we have seen reports of missing notifications which are caused by 3 typical reasons:

1. Mesh issues which are addressed by the repeater as explained above. A typical symptom of this is you’re not seeing or seeing intermittent event activity being logged in the Recently tab of the lock page in the ST Classic app.
  2. Faulty locks - bad chipsets. A typical symptom of this is is that you don’t see any event activity being logged in the Recently tab of the lock page in the ST Classic app.
  3. Incorrect device handler - due to changes in the hub firmware made earlier this year it broken many older device handlers. Check that your lock is using either the stock device handler or the Enhanced Z-Wave Lock device handler which was updated to be compatible with the new firmware hub. A typical symptom of this is you’re seeing event activity being logged in the Recently tab of the lock page in the ST Classic app, but you don’t see the user name or slot number.

If after adding the repeaters, moving the hub away, rebooting, re pairing etc you still don’t see the user events and if you’re using either the stock or the enhanced z-wave lock device handler (which you mentioned that you were using it), it could be just a bad lock.

You mentioned that you’re getting the open/close notifications. Those don’t come from the lock, they come from the door sensor. Are you getting a lock/unlocked notification? If not then it’s either 1 (mesh issue) or 2 (bad lock chipset) above.

Another way to test it would be to exchange the locations between your working lock and non working lock. If it starts working the it’s definitely a mesh or interference problem. If not, it’s possibly a bad lock.

1 Like

@RBoy @TomSBos @eyegirl @greencat So we are all having bad chipset? Because I went and bought a zwave repeater with “beaming” to test your theory. And it is still not working. I even went as far as to buy a new lock and it did not work.

But one good thing did come out of this. I got into Home Assistant and guess what? I bought a zwave dongle for the Home Assistant and connected the lock to the Home Assistant hub. It lock and unlocks using Home Assistant however when I manually lock and unlock not only is Home Assistant not getting status update, there wasn’t even any events detected.

What really pissed me off is it was working SO WELL until it didn’t. It already spoiled me with that lifestyle and I can’t live without it anymore.

I am contacting Schlage right now regarding this. But so far I really went out of my way to make this work already. If Schlage can’t fix it all I can do now is wait for the next lever lock with similar features. If you guys have any recommendations please let me know!!! My requirements are simple “Lever Lock”, “fits normal american doors”, and "unlocks quick unlike Yale Lever Lock. LOL

Can you please let us know what Schlage says. I have three of the lever type lock. I can unlock from device and lock from device - even change codes - but they will not tell me when someone uses a code - it also takes it’s time (about 1/2 hour) to notify me that someone has unlocked the door manually. My deadbolt one in the garage works perfectly and as expected.

@eyegirl @TomSBos @Rubin_Chen @greencat any luck in getting notifications working in your setups since your last posts?

Chock me up to another user that’s tried for over a year now and back and forth with RBoy support with still zero success in getting code/user-specific notifications working across two different Schlage FE599 locks, one Schlage BE369NX deadbolt, 3 different hubs (two v2 ST hubs, one v3 ST hubs), 2 plug-in Z-wave outlet switches/repeaters, one Honeywell Z-wave hardwired outlet, and more Z-wave repairs than I care to remember.

To be clear, everything else with the RBoy apps works great for automatic code generation, integration with booking platforms, and time-based routine triggers and they continue to be one of the best investments I’ve made in automating rentals.

However, real-time user/code-specific notifications or actions remain completely missing in action in any of the new test environments I setup. Effectively nothing shows in the “Recent” tab of classic SmartThings app or the live logging inside of the SmartThings Graph device logging. The fact that I’m working in smaller, < 1500 square foot spaces also adds to the issue of moving the SmartThings hub far enough away from the door locks to get the door to talk to the hardwired repeater instead of the hub directly (which is the only thing left that I can imagine would cause the repeaters to be ineffective). And there is definitely no specific Z-wave mapping tools out there like we have in the WiFi space that anybody is aware of?

I’ve long speculated this may be due to the Schlage FE599 / BE369NX only remaining unlocked for a short ~5 second period when unlocked via user codes. That seems like a crazy short timeframe for the hub to ping the device and realize a code has been entered and the lock status changed, but from what I’ve read it’s actually the lock that should be notifying the hub versus the regular polling frequencies/values I see broken out in the SmartThings Graph, correct?

For what it’s worth, I had previously used some automated lock smart apps from ethayer, but long since removed them from the account so I would not expect them to be impacting current conditions.

Since there’s several of us here that appear to be stuck in the nonfunctional state, here’s a detailed example of log events over last hour of manually entering in user codes into the lock keypad, but seeing no configured actions/notifications display:

Additionally, here are both hardware, apps, and versions I’m running that are failing to trigger user/code-specific notifications:

SmartThings Hubs

• Hub #1: Firmware Version: 000.028.00012. Hardware Version: Hub v2 US
  • Hub #2: Firmware Version: 000.028.00012. Hardware Version: hub v2, US customer Rev E
  • Hub #3: Firmware Version: 000.028.00012. Hardware Version: Hub v3 US

Locks

Outlet/Repeaters

Software

Hi Cliff,

No. I have never been able to get notifications to work. I’ve done everything suggested (resetting, a repeater, etc) works perfectly with my dead bolt but will not work for my handle locks. It will notify me if I unlock the door from my phone. The handle locks will accept code changes, etc. it just won’t tell you when someone has used a code to enter.

@clifster @TomSBos
Schlage sent me another lock with same issue so i gave up on it. I still use the lock but in conjuncture with a ring doorbell. For what its worth i recorded events with “home assistant” and didn’t see anything when the locks were unlocked. It must have been edited it out of the firmware.

Home Assistant is a free to use open source project to connect the different integrations together. I connected the lock directly to home assistant and didn’t receive any events when unlocking.

@clifster please tell me if the monoprice repeater does the job. Also have you tried this? Aeotec Range Extender 6, Z-Wave Plus repeater https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6CKJXC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mg3kEb24SBNE1
It got beaming technology apparently i will test this one.

I can tell you that notifications work with wink.

Wait are you saying if i buy a wink and connect it it will just start working? also which hub? the hub 1 or hub 2 please link if this work i will e-kiss you LOL @TomSBos

Lol. I had the wink 1 hub and it would alert when someone used a code. Hub got bricked a few years ago. Let me know if it works for you.

Aeotec Range Extender 6 didn’t seem to have any effect on the problem. So I guess its back to the drawing board… I don’t understand why don’t any other company make a lock like Schlage’s instant click unlock lever lock. just add wifi to this lock and i will gladly pay another $300

We have a bunch of the FE599’s in our lab (original and new firmwares) - all of the lined up in a row, most of them work just fine (with a beaming repeater between the locks and the hub). However, one of them just won’t report a user code, all else works fine.

If you’re looking for lever options check out the Yale YRD 2x6 series locks which are reliable, has a many configurable features which can be accessed via the enhanced DTH.

1 Like

Because of the recent posts I tried again to get my lock to send notifications when it is unlocked. Nothing, nada, rien. It is so frustrating because my other FE599 is perfect. I can get the non functioning lock to send me notifications when a code is changed, but that is not a function that is initiated by the lock itself. I contacted Schlage and they were less than helpful. They emphasized that nothing is wrong with their lock and it must be a Smartthings firmware issue. I do receive notifications from the door sensor (same distance and also with a monoprice repeater) I just don’t know who actually opened the door. I think at this point I’m going shopping for a Yale lock…unless RBoy wants to exchange a functioning lock…

Update for me: I tried 2 different new FE599s and neither work for the push notifications. I tried both the Monoprice and Aeotec Range extenders between the hub and lock and neither helped. No notifications at all… sigh.

So I gave up on the FE599 and just installed a Yale Assure YRL216-ZW2-619 (push button lever lock with key). Paired up to ST, programmed with LUM using the Enhanced DTH and it started pushing code notifications immediately!! Awesome.

Thanks @RBoy for all your feedback, but “draw of luck” is expensive at $200/pop for the FE599. LUM is of course great to use - no complaints there - my suggestion is to go for a Yale lock!

2 Likes

You need to remove the lock from hub and then re-pair it, and you can see it stops pushing code notification. " the lock would works fine if it paired with hub about 6 months ago"

1 Like

We’ve been investigating this deeper. There appears to be a bug with the hub firmware which causes it to drop certain incoming messages from some locks after a new pairing. If your hub isn’t receiving unlock/lock notifications from the FE599 despite adding a buffering repeater and following all the steps mentioned in this post, you may be hitting the bug. ST has been made aware of the bug and they’re working on a potential fix.
Feel free to send an email to ST support (support@smartthings.com) explaining the issue and you can also reference ticket no 899130 in your email so they can tag them together to expedite the fix.

3 Likes

Thanks for following up on this issue. I have contacted Schlage a couple of times and they really weren’t interested since they claim I’m the only one having a problem. They blame the hub for not relaying the notifications. I did contact ST and referenced the ticket no you mentioned. I’m really hoping that it can get resolved. If not resolved before the busy summer season I will be purchasing a Yale.
I appreciate you reaching back out and trying to get this issue resolved.

2 Likes

This is interesting. So when you say a bug impacting a new pairing, I assume that means excluding and repairing the lock will have no impact?

@Rubin_Chen sorry for the delay, but confirming that, like others, neither of my Schlage FE599 locks work with per-user notifications in RLA.

To confirm earlier suggestions, I did end up purchasing the applicable Monoprice plug-in repeater between the hub and lock, moved the hub as far away from the lock as a I could with the repeater in between, repaired the Z-wave network more times than I can remember, tested in multiple 1500-2000 sqft apartments across two floors and no dice. In sum, per user notifications on both of my FE599 locks would never work.

For what it is worth, I also recently picked up a Schlage BE469Z (V Cam 619) deadbolt lock for a whopping $3 at a local Habitat Humanity REStore, dropped in batteries, paired it to the hub, and per user notifications were working just minutes later.

So while Schlage decides if they are ever going to fix that bug @RBoy is indicating above, I’ll skip purchasing any further FE599s and take a closer look at the Yale and other models mentioned in the forums to see what better models are out there.

Just to clarify, while Schlage can improve the firmware for the FE599 (in many ways), this is a recent issue specifically caused by a combination of the new hub firmware architecture along with a quirk in the FE599/BE369 firmware while pairing. It can be resolved by ST with a hub firmware patch. ST is aware of the bug and they have a potential fix.
Do send in an email to ST support (support@smartthings.com) explaining the issue and you can also reference ticket no 899130 in your email so they can tag them together to expedite the fix.