Push Notifications for Schlage Lock Not Working (April 2019)

In the classic app, I am able to manage the lock just fine. status and create/delete codes. In the new app, I get status of the lock but I am not able to see or create/delete codes. Is this part of the problem that you are describing above? Thx. Just trying to get my head wrapped around the issue.

It doesn’t sound like it’s related. This issue is specific to lock initiated (unsolicited) commands for the FE599 and BE369. I.e. remote commands work fine but physical operations don’t reflect in the app.

If both these symptoms are met then you’re running into this issue:

1. You don’t get a locked or unlocked event notification when a user locks / unlocks the lock manually (physically on the lock) or via a user code on the lock keypad
  2. You are able to successfully program codes remotely, you can lock/unlock the lock remotely and it shows the correct status when operating it remotely

If you are seeing both of the above then your FE599/BE369 is affected by this bug (basically if you paired your FE599/BE369 with the hub after April 2019).

If you’re having issues with programming the lock or intermittent user notifications you may want to read this topic. If you can program codes with the Classic app but not the new one it most likely an ST app issue. You can try an alternative app which works on both the Classic app and the new app like LUM.

I just migrated from Wink to ST hub v3.

ST does not show lock/unlock push notification of my BE469. I thought this bug ONLY affected FE599 and BE369?

1. I can see ALL the activities (manually un/lock or remotely un/lock) in Classic ST under “Recently” tab.

2. The only way I get notification is when I use the Smart Lock Guest Access app in the new ST app. But I ONLY get notification when guest codes are used and not when manually lock/unlocked. ALL activities are shown under History tab.

thanks
K

You can create a notification with an automation. If the door is unlocked send me a notification

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! You’re correct, this issue is specifically for the FE599/BE359 due to the way they need to be setup while pairing with the hub (and will be resolved with the upcoming 0.31.x hub firmware or by having support run the “script” patch)

In SmartThings you need an app or automation to act on events, eg to push a notification, send a text message or create an action. Since you’re seeing all events in your lock history your lock is working fine, you simply need to create an automation as Jody mentioned (using the new ST app click + Automation) or add an app which acts on these events. (Check out the How to migrate from Wink to SmartThings Wiki for a quick overview of how SmartThings works)

The Smart Lock app sends notifications when any user unlocks a door. You can create an automation using new ST app which sends you a notification when the door is unlocked but that will send notifications for all unlocks, manual or user unlock, as it cannot differentiate between them. If you also have Guest Access installed, you’ll get two notifications, once from the Automation and one from the Guest Access app.

If you want to customize the notifications then check out the Lock User Management (LUM) app which can selectively enable Manual lock, Manual Unlock, also selectively enable notifications for individual users, even pick a hub mode condition for manual locks/unlock notifications and much more.

Thanks, guys! Got it. I thought ST would automatically send out push notification like Wink App does.

I just did exactly what you said: set up an automation on lock/unlock for all door lock notification as well as Guest Access notification to get notification on specific user actions.

Will definitely look into the Rboy apps as I learn and add more smart devices to ST.

ST is so much faster and reliable than Wink!

1 Like

@Kianoosh_Karami - or anyone at Smart Things

I reached out to ST using all of the language above, added links to this specific thread on the forum and referenced them both toRBoy and to Kianoosh Karami. As usual, any information relayed gets ignored and we get the following response. I responded again with the links and descriptions. Hoping that posting in the main thread might help get me routed to an ST TIer 1 person who is either familiar with the issue or can direct me to someone who is. He is the fourth ST rep we have been going back and forth with.

Vani Jupalli (SmartThings)

May 23, 2020, 1:51:22 PM MST

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for taking the time and writing back.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in response.

In order to resolve your issue, I request you to please remove and readd the locks to SmartThings application and check the status of the notifications.

After that please make sure that you turn on the notifications option. To do so follow the steps provided below:

Open Settings

Select Apps

Scroll to SmartThings

Then click on Notifications

After clicking on Notifications toggle the ON option. below you are able to see SmartThings notifications should be ON and General notifications should be ON and also App icon badges ON

Once you follow the above troubleshooting steps and check the status.

Apparently @clifster @TomSBos and @Rubin_Chen had a similar experience being bounced around for some time before getting to the right team, maybe they can share how finally they got support to run the scripts to fix their issues.

So i think them getting it right the first time is impossible. You have to reply to that email stating politely but firmly that you have the “ie. fe599” and that you are having issues due to auto encapsulation. Link the thread the staff member posted and also them you need this escalated to their technicians to have the patch applied. Don’t forget yo tell their you hub id your device id etc.

It took me 2 weeks and 6 emails to get through. Hope you have better luck. Also it might be good to use the same email you use for the account to contact them.

Once its fixed though its been working flawlessly. I would even go as far to say that its working better than before the notifications broke. I can get very up to date info on who opened the door from the code they used. Its been so consistent i already worked it into my automations

No secret words, just persistence. Ask, ask, ask, then ask again.

2 Likes

Anyone here found an option that allows for automations to trigger when someone locks up or leaves? While RLA has the capability of triggering custom actions when users manually lock the controls, it does not appear to trigger when a user pushes the physical lock button on the inside of the lock which, as far as I know, is the only way to manually lock this particular smart lock.

Is there another way that you guys are using to trigger actions or situations where the manual lock or keypad lock options would come into play?

It is encouraging to hear that some users are having success. I am not. No matter how many times I ask and put a description (last time I even copied and pasted what somebody said worked for them) I get the same response. Honestly I think they just see the word notifications and hit some button that puts an automatic reply in the email. It’s too bad they aren’t rewarded for actually solving a problem. It has already been a year for this problem. I will keep trying and maybe one day I will get a support person who will actually read my email.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread - I had a success.

Am a Wink refugee and signed up to Lock User Management from RBoys. Frustratedly accepting the upcoming firmware explanation for the fix, but with time on my hands lately, I threw all the jargon at ST as had nothing to lose.

Yes, initially the responses were hugely annoying as the ST support guys didn’t understand the jargon I was using anymore than I did! Here’s a summary of what I emailed:

I have a Schlage FE599 lock. So far I have really enjoyed ST.

I’ve become aware via the ST Community of an auto encapsulation issue with notifications/updates and would like to request the association workaround identified in ticket 899130.

Please would you send the association workaround script to my lock:

*Hub ID *

Node ID

Cue this response…

Just to confirm, are you facing any issues in receiving the updates and notifications for your Schlage lock?( LOL)

Could you please elaborate the issue you are facing and what exactly you mean by association workaround script? So that we can help you further.

Please feel free to contact us for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

And then this…

I am really sorry, I am unable to review the ticket #899130. You can also send us a screenshot/picture from that ticket , so that we help you further.

As you have mentioned that you are not receiving the notifications from the lock, I would suggest you to please click on the below link and follow the steps to set up notifications. (LOL)

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002056383-Custom-Automations-in-the-SmartThings-app

Please elaborate more about the issue you are facing, so that we can check and help you.

At which point I politely explained that I didn’t have access to THEIR support ticket (LOL) and I was unable to elaborate more owing to the fact that I didn’t fully understand what I was asking for either!

I then requested it be escalated to Tier 2.

To do this they requested:

• Mobile model
  • Mobile version(IOS/Android)
  • App version (screenshot taken within classic app)

3 days later I suddenly started getting per-user push notifications and manual lock/unlock notifications and happy days! And they sent me this:

We have gone ahead and sent some commands to this Lock that should help it report its status and generate notifications.

Once again thank you to all who contributed to this fix.

I’ve found setting up an SMS for the lock/unlock to cover the inadvertent manual unlock situation has been reassuring so far. I use a suitable emoji/symbol so I know its status is locked in my texts.

A couple of remaining FE599 issues of my own…I had leaky duracell optimums so I replaced with lithiums…these report 100% battery which is clearly not the case, and I read elsewhere that the lock is not calibrated for lithium, only alkaline, so I’ll be replacing with alternative alkalines.

I wanted to share that I went back to the new ST app after the above fix and deleted the classic app, have not noticed any issue as far as my needs go.

2 Likes

I got SmartThings to run the script to fix the issue. I was also told that I had to delete the custom DTH and unpair/pair the lock again with the standard device handler. Is that true or can I still use the RBoy custom handler? And do I need to delete and recreate it?

There is no need to delete any handlers. Please do NOT exclude your lock or you will need to have the script run again.
Running the script with either the stock device handler or the Universal Enhanced Z-Wave lock device handler installed is okay. In either case the notifications will start working after the script has been run successfully.
It’s okay to switch device handlers manually from the IDE after the script is run but do NOT exclude the lock after the script has been run otherwise you will lose the notifications and the script will need to run again.

After they ran the script, i still was not getting notifications. Their email said to delete the custom DTH, then exclude and rejoin the lock using the standard z-wave lock handler.

That would indicate that it didn’t run “successfully”. When executed correctly and received by the lock you’ll see it start sending push notifications instantly without having to do anything from your end (as you can read from the experiences below).

A few things to note about how this works:

1. The script that I worked with Tier-2 to create and then test sends an association command which tells the lock to send unsolicited notifications to the hub (ie push notifications). This command is the workaround for the auto encapsulation issue which has been fixed in the upcoming 0.31.x firmware.
  2. It doesn’t matter what DTH you’re using (the command is DTH independent) just as long as the command reaches the lock. If the wrong lock ID/hub ID is used in the script or the mesh loses the command or the lock is unreachable then the command would need to be sent again. As soon as the lock receives the command it will immediately start reporting notifications. This has been tested and confirmed with the stock DTH and the Enhanced DTH and the results are instant when executed properly and received by the lock.
  3. When the lock is excluded, it resets it’s association with the hub and the lock will not longer send push notifications until it receives a new association command (i.e. the script is run again). Again this is specific only to FE599/BE359 due to the way they associate with the hub for sending push notifications.

Feel free to switch your DTH, get notifications working and then switch back to your original/custom DTH if that works for you. Just keep in mind that you will need to ask support to run the script again every time you exclude and re-pair the lock.

So I have 2 locks on 2 separate hubs. They were able to get one to work and this is the message I received after several days on the other one:
Thank you for being positive and patience with us.

Upon checking the account, we see that the lock has a custom device handler on the lock. You will need to exclude the lock and delete the custom device handler, then add the lock back with the standard device handler.

I thought for sure I was on the right path when the tech got one to work. I will keep asking, but it is very frustrating.

1 Like

So even after reading this extensive thread about all of the problems, out of desperation bought LUM just as a gamble for an FE599NX. Well unfortunately I have now blown $240 on a lock that will not work for what I need. Basically, user access notifications. Just for reference, I just bought the FE599NX and a new ST V3 and thought hey, maybe its all worked out. NOPE! No good. Do I jump into endless communications with all parties or take my lumps and just buy something that doesn’t take a year to get working? It is actually for an install on a business’ door. The door has no way to add a deadbolt. I have a Schlage Sense on my home front door and it works flawlessly. This is sad.

I was up until 2 am trying to figure this out. You are 100% correct, very frustrating. And I just started with these products.