Push Notifications for Schlage Lock Not Working (April 2019)

Welcome to ST.

You need a compatible Text to Speech audio notification device like a Sonos or Echo Speaks (Alexa) paired to your hub to announce the push notifications.

Check that you haven’t enabled the Disable all push notifications option in the Notifications page, because that option disables all notifications.

You need to check if the lock events are reaching the hub. The easiest way to do this to open your ST classic app → My Home → Click on your lock (FE599) → Click on the Recently tab. Now unlock your lock using your code. You should see an event pop up here saying that The door was unlocked by user xxx.
If you don’t see that event, then your lock events aren’t reaching the hub which is why you aren’t seeing any notifications being pushed. This indicates a mesh problem. Try moving your repeater closer to your lock, hub away from the lock, reboot the hub and then do a Z-Wave repair. Once the message shows up in the Recently tab you should start getting push/sms notifications

1 Like

Thank you for your quick reply and suggestions. I checked in the Recently tab and do not see unlock events popping up, so that may be the problem. The repeater is close to the lock, but so is the hub (one floor below). I tried spacing them as far as I can (given the hub is wired currently to the router), rebooting and doing a repair, but still no luck.

I’ll have to either run it further away with an ethernet cable and try again, or figure out how to change the hub from Ethernet to Wifi without resetting the hub (haven’t been able to figure out how to do the latter easily).

I’m having the same issue. I’m not getting any response after doing all of the above.
I am using RBOY Enhanced Z-Wave DTH and Using Lock User Management App.

• fw: 43.37
  • manufacturer: Schlage
  • networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_S0_LEGACY
    Is there any additional things I can do to try and resolve this? I would like to subscribe to the codeunlock notification that another app I have I can subscribe to for additional functionality.

I’m using ZWave Plus GE EZSmart Outlet ZW1002 as the potential repeater. I say potential because I don’t know how to be sure if the outlet is actually being used as the repeater.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

This is normal for Z-Wave devices which don’t support S2 with the new hub firmware. If it’s shows Failed then you need to reset and re-pair the device.

Did you check if the event messages from your lock are reaching the hub?

You need to check if the lock events are reaching the hub. The easiest way to do this to open your ST classic app → My Home → Click on your lock → Click on the Recently tab. Now unlock your lock using your code. You should see an event pop up here saying that The door was unlocked by user xxx .
If you don’t see that event, then your lock events aren’t reaching the hub which is why you aren’t seeing any notifications being pushed. This indicates a mesh problem. Try moving your repeater closer to your lock, hub away from the lock, reboot the hub and then do a Z-Wave repair. Once the message shows up in the Recently tab you should start getting push/sms notifications

Assuming it’s running on mains power, open the device in the IDE → My Devices → Click on your outlet and look at the raw description. The zw should start with a Ls or a L and of course the device should be closer to the lock than the hub.
You can reboot the hub and do a z-wave repair and look at the hub event logs to ensure that no zwave failures are showing up for the GE device or the lock.

• IDE → My Hubs → Hub Utilities → Reboot hub
  • IDE → My Hubs → Hub Utilities → Z-Wave Repair
  • IDE → My Hubs → List events (keep refreshing every minute until you see Z-Repair Wave finished and look for any errors before that message and after Z-Wave Repair started)

Ok. Still not working. No events coming back from the lock in the app. More detail about the layout
The lock and the outlet are about the same distance from the hub, about 20-30 feet. But close (6-7 feet) from each other. The outlet is visible on the hub and can be turned on/off. When manually changing the I have a Z-Wave switch and an outlet (1 foot from each other) between the outlet close to the lock and the hub.
Layout:

hub --(15 feet)-- switch & outlet --(15 feet)-- outlet 
                                                  |
                                               (7-feet) - lock

Switch: GE Z-Wave Fan control:

Label Value
Data networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_LEGACY_NON_SECURE
Raw Description zw:L type:1108 mfr:0063 prod:4944 model:3131 ver:5.22 zwv:4.54 lib:03 cc:5E,86,72,5A,85,59,73,26,27,70,56,2C,2B,7A role:05 ff:8400 ui:8400

Outlet near lock: GE Z-Wave+ Outlet: (both outlets in layout are same make/model)

Label Value
Data * MSR: 0063-4952-3133
* manufacturer: Jasco Products
* networkSecurityLevel: ZWAVE_LEGACY_NON_SECURE}
Raw Description zw:L type:1001 mfr:0000 prod:0000 model:0000 ver:5.24 zwv:4.38 lib:03 cc:5E,56,86,72,5A,85,59,73,25,27,70,2C,2B,7A role:05 ff:8700 ui:8700

I’m going to try physically rebooting the hub and repairing the z-wave network.

• Result: This did not work.

Any suggestions?

That’s the crux, if no events are coming then the mesh is losing it somewhere.

I’m noticed that you’re using the older GE/Jasco Z-Wave switche. These tend become problematic. ST’s engineers have noticed issues with overheating and we’ve seen other issues in our labs (I wrote about it on a Z-Wave repeater topic).

I would recommend either switching to the newer GE Z-Wave Plus switches or resetting the switches (use the air gap if it’s there otherwise cut the mains for a few seconds). Then reboot the hub and do a Z-Wave repair. Worst case you may need to exclude the older Z-Wave switch from your network, do a Z-Wave repair.

I still can’t get this to work. I’ve moved the ST hub further away, put the Aeotec ZWave Plus powered repeater closer to the lock. I’ve tried the reboot and repair Z Wave network. I still can’t get any activity notices in the Recently tab. Is it something with the lock that it is not reporting events? I find it hard to believe that the hub is not receiving these notifications, either through the repeater or directly after following all these steps. Not a single notification. If these notifications don’t work, I don’t have much use for the LUM app since I got it specifically for the notifications.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Try to reset your lock, exclude and re pair. Otherwise contact Schlage for a replacement, it could be a bad module.

I tried those suggestions including factory reset, exclude, repair. Still doesn’t work.

I also obtained a second new FE599 lock and set it up but still no keypad unlock notifications at all. So, unlikely a “bad module”.

The Schlage firmware is listing 43.37 on ST. Is it something with this current fw?

Any other ideas?

Open the IDE -> My Hubs -> Utilities -> Click Send hub logs

Tagging @Kianoosh_Karami

Only ST can help figure this out

If you’re using a custom DTH delete it and try then. Sometimes when using a custom DTH since it runs in the cloud it adds a delay which can cause the pairing to fail due to timing issues.
If it pairs without any custom DTH, you can the add custom DTH back afterwards.

@RBoy Thanks for pinging me.

@RB03, Would you please reproduce the issue and do “Send Hub Logs” and I will take a look at the logs and can provide more details as to what is going?

1 Like

Hello @Kianoosh_Karami -

I just sent the hub logs. When I enter the keypad code, there is no report of the unlock to the hub. I appreciate your help.

@RBoy - I am using the RBoy Universal ZWave Lock with Alarms device handler - are you saying I should delete that? I did try deleting it once already and reverted back to the default ZWave lock DTH but it didn’t help.

Thanks

Hey @RB03, My bad, I forgot to ask you to let me know the timestamp that you reproduced the problem. Can you do the following?

1. Reproduce the problem
  2. Jot down the timestamp (With timezone please)
  3. Send logs
  4. Message me?

Thanks

Hi @Kianoosh_Karami, sure thing, but the problem is that nothing is happening in the logs/events when I enter the keypad code so it’s hard to “reproduce the problem”. The problem occurs every time I enter a keypad code because nothing happens. The @RBoy Lock User Management SmartApp is supposed to notify me when someone uses the keypad code. But maybe you can decipher things in the send logs that I can’t see. Today 5/2/19, the keyad was accessed several times between 1330 and 1530 US Eastern Time if you can look in that time period.

Unfortunately I am not near my lock anymore to enter the keypad code and it may be a couple weeks until I will be there again. This is all the more reason I am hoping to get the unlock notifications to work - so I get notified when someone uses their designated keypad code. If you can please excuse the delay, I will contact you again when I am able to further test the lock again.

Thank you!

Yeah, I have the ability to look at our internal hub and radio logs, so I can try to understand what the issue is.

Feel free to ping me with the info I asked for anytime you get a chance to reproduce the problem.

Thanks again

I’ve been following this thread to try to find a solution because I am having a similar problem. I also have a Schlage lock and use the LUM app and DTH from RBoy. Everything worked fine until about 2 weeks ago when I stopped receiving notifications from the lock. I’ve updated, repaired, rebooted and still nothing. I can change codes and lock/unlock, but no notifications from the lock. Funny thing is I get notifications from the Door sensor. I thought that maybe the lock had some damage from salt air so I bought a new one and installed it yesterday. Now I’m really frustrated because that didn’t help at all. I have the same setup at another unit less than 1/4 mile away and it is still working perfectly. So I thought maybe it is now a problem that I want notifications from both hubs to come to the same phone number. I changed the phone number and still nothing. I did notice that the locks are identified differently …one is ‘Schlage FE369 Z-Wave Lock’ on the problem device and the functioning one is identified as ‘Z-Wave Lock’. Do you think that could be a problem? I have never changed the name…it must autofill somehow. Any advice? I also sent an email to SmartThings.

ST has been rolling out a firmware update to the hubs over the last month or so and a change in that firmware is causing the missing notifications issue.

We had released a patch for it back in Feb. If you’re using the custom “Enhanced Universal Z-Wave Lock” DTH, please update to the latest version and it should fix your issue:

If your lock is using the stock “Z-Wave Lock” DTH, then the patch for it already rolled into the firmware update and hence nothing to be done for those locks.

I’m still having issues. I am using ‘Universal Z-Wave Lock Device Handler v04.03.09’ I’m using it on both hubs. One hub sends me notifications and one hub doesn’t. Notifications are turned on. I’m using LUM v07.09.03 I do have more sensors connected to the hub that is not sending notifications. It looks like the hub isn’t even receiving the info because it is not listed under the ‘recent’ tab. I think if the message were getting to the hub then I would see the notification. I do see door open/close info in the recent tab for that sensor. Should I replace the hub? It is v2. Not sure what else to try.

You’ve hit the nail on the head as to why you aren’t getting the notifications.

See this topic which will explain why and then give you the solution:

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I do have a Monoprice Z Wave Metering plug in switch. I have one at each location and have had them for about a year. Both hubs are in condos and the switch is between the hub and the lock…similar distances. I have repaired the hub. Schlage recommended that I exclude the lock and the monoprice device and do a factory reset on the lock and then include both items. I’ve done that and I’m still not receiving notifications from the one lock. I bought a new hub…still no notifications. I’ve scanned the IDE for any differences in lock settings and the working one states that the beeper is enabled. The nonworking one states that the status is unknown. Could this be the issue? It seems to me that the lock isn’t sending the notifications. Or the notifications aren’t being recognized. Not sure if the problem is with the hub, the lock, the app, the driver…